Armestice Day

Old Oct 26th, 2021, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armestice Day

I will be in Paris on Armestice Day and hope to take in the ceremony at the Arch de Triomphe. Has anyone attended the ceremony and tell me what I might expect or any hints as to how early to get there, the best place to stand, etc. Thanks
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 02:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You will not see a big crowd for Armistice Day. Probably not a crowd at all. President Macron will ride up the Champs Elysées with a brief stop at the statue of Georges Clémenceau near the Petit Palais; At 11:00 a.m. there is a ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe, not open to the public. You can hear the military music a bit from a distance on the far sidewalks. If you have a real interest in the ceremony, you can watch it on television on France 2 (2) or BFM-TV (15). Later in the afternoon, there will be a ceremony at the military memorial of Saint Valérien in the suburbs for the interment of the last 'compagnon de la libération' of De Gaulle, who died at age 101 a few weeks ago. (He had rushed to London to join De Gaulle at age 19.)
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually very disappointed, so glad I asked. I would have thought I was there on the wrong day or at the wrong place. Good intentions and all that, so thanks for answering.