Aris Caves in Oia?

Search

Aris Caves in Oia?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aris Caves in Oia?

Has anyone stayed here? It's one of the top picks on Tripadvisor but I didn't find it mentioned here. Thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I've never stayed there but have always thought they looked very nice from the outside. Also, they're in an excellent location in the heart of the village. I love that checkerboard terrace!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Well..this is our question also. Late September (so pool is not an issue?). Aris caves 100Euro...or the infamous Aspaki suites for 200 euro. Any opinions?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Ourjetboat-

I guess it just depends on what you feel you'd need to be satisfied and what you're willing to pay to get it.

Aspaki has a more central location providing a spectacular view from private terraces, the room decor is fantastic and there are very few steps.

Aris Caves offers less privacy and a more basic interior decor. The location requires more steps to reach. It appears that to enjoy the complete view some guests will have to give up their privacy to share the common terrace.

The view from both properties is basically the same.

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM

This place does look fantastic, and gets great reviews at tripadvisor, but I wonder why there are almost no comments about it on this forum. Maybe because there are only 6 rooms? I'd love to hear from someone who has actually stayed there.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM

My husband and I spent five nights at Aris Caves two weeks ago. It was great. Our unit (#1)was very clean and well-appointed (small fridge, two-ring stove, wine & water glasses, knifes & forks, kettle, toaster). There was a bottle of Segales wine in the fridge when we arrived, a gift from the owner. The view was fabulous. We liked the fact that there were only six units. We had our own terrace but the checkerboard terrace was also a great place to read, relax or watch the boats go by. The owner is very helpful. I highly recommend Aris Caves. I would certainly stay there again.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Thank you, travginny! That's so good to hear. I have already sent an e-mail asking about availability for my trip, but I was nervous about booking.

The raves on tripadvisor are almost too good to be true.

brotherleelove: I think you have convinced me to stay in Oia! I was thinking that Firostefani or Imerovigli would be a better choice, but the more I read about Oia, the better it sounds. I want to be far away from the cruise ship hordes in Fira, although hopefully that won't be a big problem in May.

So long as there are enough restaurants in Oia within walking distance of the Aris Caves, that sounds like the ideal spot and a great bargain.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Unfortunately the "cruise ship hordes" are well-represented in Oia in May. There are bus tours offered for them to take advantage of, and they come at least twice each day. For those who've arrived during th night there's the morning horde that arrives around 9 AM. Then there are the evening busloads that show up to watch the sunset. Oia is such a popular stop for the cruise ship passengers that a special parking lot had to be built to provide space for the buses.

In spite of this Oia is still the best and most beautiful village on the island.

Aris Caves is in the heart of the village just below the main square. There are plenty of restaurants all around.

Travginny, with your memory being so fresh, can you please answer for me whether or not any of the units of Aris Caves don't have a view? From their photos it looks as if some of them are tucked in back away from the terrace on the side of the structure so they don't actually face the sea. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM

travginny: Did you get a chance to see any of the other rooms? I want my own terrace or balcony with a sea view, and I've asked for Room 7 because it says "large terrace" but the set up is not really clear. I'm still waiting to hear back from them and crossing my fingers that they aren't booked.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM

brotherleelove: All the units have a private terrace and a nice view of the caldera. You're right about the property being centrally located. Right under Ambrosia.

cheryllj: I visited one of the units at our level (there were three, including ours). It was quite large, with separate kitchen, double bed in the loft and single bed on the main floor. Great view.

I liked being on the upper level because of its closeness to the terrace (and fewer stairs, although I can manage them). Unit #7 does have a large, private terrace. It is located 25 steps below the first level.

I hope that helps.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 07:53 AM

It helps a lot, thanks!

I have now convinced a friend to go with me, so I'm looking for a twin room. But I am still crossing my fingers that the Aris Caves will be available because it looks ideal.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM

cheryllj: I also thought that the raves on TripAdvisor were too good to be true. I was rather sceptical. My stay there proved that they were founded.

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:23 PM

I have been looking for a hotel on Santorini and came across the wonderful reviews of Aris Caves on Trip Advisor too, so came over here to Fodors to see what mentions there are. What a surprise to only find one thread!

Travginny - they mention double beds for the rooms - how big might that be compared to American sizes? Which room do you think had the best view, and which had the most private space?

Cheryllj- we too are going in May, so I am not too worried about the lack of a pool, if the lack of one brings the prices down a bit. Expensive little island. We are going to be on Santorini for our 25th wedding anniversay and at this point in our lives could chose to spend a little more on lodging. However, I don't feel like it I like to find a great bargain! When in May do you plan on being there?
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:46 PM

HappyCheesehead: If a pool isn't important you might want to take a look at Thea Studios.
http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...udios/home.htm

The view is actually a bit better than from Aris Caves.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Brotherlee,

Are the Thea Studios as centrally located as the Aris Caves?

IreneD - sorry for the Hijack!
H
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Another question for Brotherleelove
do you recommend Thea Studios over Delfini Villa/Hotel?
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM

No. You'd find it difficult to find another hotel closer to the village square than Aris. Chelidonia is the only other one with that convenience and the view. Thea Studios is further away, about 15 minutes' pleasant stroll from the square.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I don't recommend one over the other. I believe they are both of equal quality.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM

brotherleelove2004: I think we are leaning towards the Strogili traditional houses (one bedroom cave house) over the Aris Caves -- mainly because the Strogili has a pool and we're hoping it will be unseasonably warm in late May, but Strogili also looks a little bit nicer.

Am I making a mistake? Do you know how the location of Strogili houses compare to Aris Caves? We want to be within walking distance of the restaurants in Oia and don't want to be too far to walk at night.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Strogili is an excellent choice. It's in the same general area of Oia as Thea Studios so the walk to the village square would take about the same amount of time. The village is small and you won't feel as if you're "out in the boondocks." Also, the view from Strogili will be slightly better than the view from Aris because it's in a more open area of the cliffside.

Look at this map: http://www.tinyurl.com/yo9zn9

Strogili is located in the second row up from the bottom, 3rd square over from the right, where the road and the pedestrian pathway intersect. Aris Caves is located in the second row up from the bottom, 5th square over from the left, to the left of "Ambrosia."

Between Strogili and Aris Caves are many excellent restaurants, shops and galleries. One of the better traditional (and economical) restaurants in Oia is very close to Strogili at the Anemomilos Hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -