Arezzo antique market

Feb 12th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Christine

Arezzo antique market

Has anyone ever been to this market? Buy anything? Has it become geared for tourists with outragous prices and few "finds"? If I do happen to make a purchase are there any shipping companies in town (such as Fedex)?
Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in town? I've done a hotel search but I'm coming up with very few choices.

Feb 12th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Gail

Hi Christine - we went to this market last May and again in October. It's huge and so much fun! Don't know what you consider outrageous prices, but we are always looking for the bargains, and I'm not sure there were many. BUT, that should not stop you from going - half of the fun is the hunt!

I bought a few linens, an ancient book of photographs of Venezia, and a few other "smalls" that we could pack. My husband was looking for a mandolin for his small collection, but they were very rough and high-priced.

One of our friends bought a great painting for about $60 and carried it home on the plane with him! I'm sure there would be shipping possibilities. You could probably check on this through Fedex, etc., before you go.

The old part of Arezzo is beautiful and it would be a lovely place to stay. It is also very well-known for its gold - great jewelry here. We stayed in Cortona and just rode the bus - took about an hour. Would be shorter if you had a car, of course, and an easy drive.

I think you would love this market. It snakes all through the town - must be hundreds of vendors, great little outdoor cafes, very friendly people.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Buon viaggio!

Feb 12th, 2002, 10:15 AM
DeAnn

When is this market held?

Feb 12th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Elena

This market takes place on the first weekend of every month.

Feb 12th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Christine

Thanks for the information Gail. I guess you found the market worthwhile since you've gone twice. Can you tell me what time of day you went and was it crowded? Do you have any idea of what the hours of the market are? Were the venders receptive to bargaining?
I still can't find a decent hotel in the centre of town. Anyone have suggestions?