Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aren't there any hotels in London that cost around 50 pounds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:53 PM
melissa

Help! Is it just me or is London way too expensive? I just did a search for hotels and everyone's raving about 70 pounds. Maybe for 4 people thats good but for us Canadians that's $170. Does anyone know of a cheaper hotel??

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Mark

Try a hostel or university housing when the students are gone.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:43 PM
London

First try Priceline - last February I got Thistle(=to Hol Inn or Marriott) for US$75. That's an excellent price for a 3-4 star hotel with great location(there are many different ones, but usually in great locations). If that does not work for you, do a search for Ibis or Accor Hotels. They are egual to our Red Roof Inns or Motel 6. They are clean, not many extras, but a nice place to get a good nights sleep. You should be able to get a rate of about 50 BP. <BR>Another good place is:<BR>www.hoteldiscounts.com<BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:48 PM

The process of giving advice is the same whether it's 50 or 70 or 100 units of currency, or whether the person seeking advice is of this nationality or that one. The process of rudeness, on the other hand, is not independent of budget, and sometimes not independent of nationality, either. <BR><BR>It is impossible to state with certainty whether the people you mention as 'everyone raving' were really being insensitive to people such as yourself, whose problems conform to different parameters than theirs, or whether they were just expressing their relief and gratitude at having their own particular problem solved. <BR><BR>The advantage to you for taking the positive, as opposed to the negative, tack, is that you won't scare off would- be helpers, who might otherwise fear that if they suggest something that you find unacceptable, for whatever reason, you will attack them for being insensitive.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Jim Rosenberg

melissa, try this site:<BR><BR>http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/index.html<BR><BR>You'll busy for a long time looking through the many choices. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Jeff

I just returned from England and spent a week in London at the Byron Hotel in Bayswater. Clean, friendly and well situated hotel for only 60 pounds a night with an included English breakfast.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Jim Rosenberg

And yes, London is pretty pricey by comparison to many other destinations, in my opinion.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Elizabeth

I have done well in London at Hoteldiscount.com. Many places on there seem to offer a pounds-to-dollars kind of discount--something that would be 100 pounds (like on hotel's own site) is $100 US. Etc. Keep us informed.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Grasshopper

Reply to.... I read Melissa's post through 4 times and frankly, I don't see how it could be interpretted as rude. Or for that matter that she attacked anyone for being sensitive. She just expressed concern and surprise at the cost she had found in London thus far. And yes, London is more expensive than many other destinations.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:55 PM
doolin

To 'reply"...<BR>I don't think Melissa was taking the 'negative', but rather feeling the frustration that we feel with our horrible Canadian dollar. We see so many Fodorites talking about the great deals...and they are great... but don't turn out to be that was for us Canadians.<BR>To Elizabeth...this is a good example of our frustrations.... because even $100 US dollars is still almost $159 Canadian.<BR>Melissa is just the same as all of us...and hoping to find a good deal, which is less likely with our dollar the way it is.<BR>Good luck Melissa.<BR>Perhaps think of a B&B a bit further out of the centre of LOndon.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:11 PM
melissa

I didn't mean to be "rude" if that's how my message was interpreted. Anyway I've been looking on various discount sites and for me personally I found eurocheapo for example not so cheapo. hoteldiscounts.com was very similar. I did find a deal on hotels.co.uk 49 pounds, but not having done this before I want to make sure they're a reputable source. Thanks to those who had something to contribute.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:11 PM
KenCT

I agree with Jim's recommendation for Smoothound. Many, many choices in the 40-60 BP in all areas of London. Most recently I stayed in a small hotel on Cartwright Circle, about a five minute walk from the Russell Square tube. Room was tiny, bath was shared, but perfectly acceptable for me.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:14 PM
melissa

PS <BR>I don't remember attacking anyone.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Mara

Melissa - <BR>I've found b & b's through Smoothhound as well - single room with private facilities and full English breakfast for under 50 British pounds. The British Tourist Authority also has a booklet listing budget accommodations if you are anywhere near their office or perhaps you can order it.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:40 PM
London

Melissa,<BR>I would stii try Priceline. Just make sure you pick the right neigborhood and star rating. I you want to do some research on that go to:<BR>www.biddingfortravel.com<BR>And no, you did not offend anybody. I have no idea what they're talking about.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:43 PM
melissa

I went to smoothhound site and couldn't really read the menu options. Can you tell me where to look. Much appreciated.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:08 PM
melissa

Silly me I had the wrong site (don't ask) but I FOUND IT! And for anyone else out there who's looking for the same info go here smoothhound.co.uk It's awesome! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:11 PM
babs

There may be places to stay for that price, but I would advise against it. You are better off booking a place that is at a higher rate and then looking around while you are there for a cheaper room. I've had better luck walking in to hotels that are expensive to inquire about availability. When booking ahead you will always be quoted a high price, but when you walk in they generally have a room available for 60-80 pounds. The budget hotels are generally pretty bleak. If you are worried about London being expensive, don't visit! It's my favorite place in the world, but it can be frustrating if you try to do it cheap. Smooth Hound is a great site, but I have had stayed at some BAD places that we've booked through them. In London, you are better off finding the area you like and splurging. Not very original, but as I said, we've learned the hard way.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Kris

I got the 4* Copthorne Tara for $75US in July from Priceline and probably could have gotten it cheaper had I read the postings at www.biddingfortravel.com.<BR><BR>I was a little apprehensive before I went based on what I read about the hotel and how they treat Priceline customers but I thought it was a great deal for the location and the hotel. It had a/c, it was comfortable, clean and within walking distance of the High St. Kensington tube.<BR><BR>I know $75USD doesn't sound like a cheap deal but based on previous trips to London where I spent over $100 for a 2* hotel, I was thrilled at the price.<BR><BR>You might also try www.londontown.com as they had special deals that you could book but I think you do better at Priceline if you're willing to take the risk.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Dave

Melissa,<BR><BR>Don't worry about the "rude" commentary...there are a number of folks who visit this message board who are a little bit, shall we say, "sensitive"? They tend to forget the purpose of the boards is to ask for and receive TRAVEL ADVICE.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, London is expensive and a hotel rate of &pound;70 for a decent, centrally-located hotel is considered a bargain. Even at that, the standard of accomodation is often not what you would expect for the money. Case in point: the very popular Travel Inn County Hall, in a prime location, costs &pound;75 to &pound;80 per night. For that you get a modern, but basic "Motel 6" room and, get this, no airconditioning.<BR><BR>You might want to try some lower cost alternatives, such as:<BR><BR>London homestay--<BR> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Jan_Kratke/<BR><BR>Dorm/conference center accomodations:<BR> http://www.ad.ic.ac.uk/conferences/navigation-bar.htm<BR><BR>An apartment rental company, such as the one run by Nick Price:<BR> http://www.priceapts.co.uk/<BR><BR>Good luck, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -