Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are train tickets for a SPECIFIC train only?

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:11 PM
anyscreennamesleft

I am planning a trip from Paris, through parts of Germany, to Prague, and then through Italy. To minimize the amount of time we spend in train station lines purchasing point-to-point tickets, we are planning to purchase most of the tickets/reservations we need in Paris, which is our first leg of the trip.

My understanding is that I can purchase and make reservations for Italian train tickets from a Paris train station. I know exactly which trains and times we need except for one between Monterosso (Cinque Terre area) and Milan. I'm fairly certain of what train and time we need here also, but wonder of the consequences if buy/reserve and then decide to take a later train at the last minute. For example, what would happen if I purchase and reserve a ticket for June 24 on train # IC 382 that leaves Monterosso at 11:01, and I subsequently decide to take a train later that same day. I would forfeit the reservation fee (unless I tried to change the reservation ahead of time possibly). But what I'm really wondering is can I use the purchased TICKET for any IC train later that same day between Monterosso and Milan, or is the ticket only good for train # IC 382 at 11:01 (thus can't be used until the next day)? We will not be taking a Eurostar Italia or other reservation-required trains between Monterosso and Milan. Is anyone following this, LOL? Planning this trip is a real hoot!!

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:14 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi any

If you buy a ticket for an IC train it is good for any IC train on that route. You forfeit only your seat reservation.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:47 AM

In my experience, a ticket from A to B is good for a period of time. If you make a seat reservation, it is time sensitive. If you miss the train, you lose your money.
Some routes require a seat reservation.
All of the TGV trains I have taken in France require a seat reservation.

In Austria, Germany, and Switzerland I have never been required to reserve a seat. However, a seat reservation is a good idea on the Munich - Zuerich route as well as several others.

The express trains on between Munich and Zuerich are often full in second class, non smoking.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Hi Any,

It sounds like it would be easier to buy as you go, since you are not sure in some cases when you are going. By the way, when are you going?? That will play a role in what you should plan, as well as, how long will you be there? With that information better advice can be given. If you don't want to wait in lines, a rail pass may be a better choice, depending on the number of trips you plan on taking. By the way, changing a reservation may or may not be possible, but it would require you to stand in a line. Have fun planning.

Greg
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:26 AM

One clear case: if your ticket and your reservation come on two separate pieces of paper and then you don't take the reserved train, you will lose only the reservation fee which is relatively a small amount (approx 2 - 10 euro).

TGV and other special Eurostar type of express trains' ticket/seat reservation are (almost) always on one piece of paper. But even in this case still if you want to take another TGV train, they will change your ticket with again with a relatively small amount of penalty till almost the day of the original reservation. Here my understanding differs from Mr Bob Brown's experience. I say from my experince too but last time I took TGV was more than 1 year ago
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 10:34 AM

One clear case: if your ticket and your reservation come on two separate pieces of paper and then you don't take the reserved train, you will lose only the reservation fee which is relatively a small amount (approx 2 - 10 euro).

With TGV and other Eurostar type of express trains, ticket/seat reservation are (almost) always on one piece of paper. But even in this case still if you want to take another TGV train, they will change your ticket with again with a relatively small amount of penalty till almost the day of the original reservation. Here my understanding differs from Mr Bob Brown's experiences. I say from my experince too but last time I took TGV was more than 1 year ago so there may be some modification in the rules.

Also if it's TGV group tickets (for more that 10 persons), you will surely lose all money if you miss the reserved train. But group tickets should not concern most of the fodorites.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Sorry about double posting. The 1st one left before I finshed it.

http://www.tgv.com/cibles/tous_av.jsp#
I have checked on above site(echange et remboursement de billets). There it is stated :
1. CHANGE. you can change your reservation at the ticket counter till 1 hour AFTER the departure of the originally reserved train free of charge. In other cases, 10 % will be charged.
2.REFUND. You can get refund of 100%till 1 hour AFTER the departure of the train. In other cases (later than 1 hour and till 60 days), 50% will be charged.

In order to have above, your ticket must not be validated (with the machine at the station.)

All above concerns only French TGV trains. Each country could have its own rules, I suppose.

I don't know if above info will help you but it's good to have such general info, isn't it?
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:30 AM

I should have been more explicit.
If you have a seat reservation and fail to show without trying ahead of time to change your seat reservation, I think you lose your reservation fee.
At least that is what I was told.
I never missed my scheduled train when I had an assigned seat.
Also, I haven't tried to change my seat after buying the reservation.
So in that regard, my knowledge is more hearsay than actual.

I have, however, bought a ticket from A to B and gotten off in between for a stopover of a full day or more.

The only time I fouled up was waiting to buy a seat reservation from Zuerich to Munich last year. That was when I learned that second class non smokling was full - no seats remained.
I did not actually go to the second class section to see if that was true!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM
anyscreennamesleft

Thanks for the replies. This is June 2 through June 25 trip. It's all set for cities, hotels, dates. I just wasn't sure about which time of day to take the train between Monterosso and Milan. Was thinking the 11am train, but we may be not ready to go to Milan until later in the day.

The only trains we are reserving are ones that require it, and also I decided to spring for reservations on any journey over 2 hours in which "please reserve" is noted on the German rail Internet schedules. I know this isn't required, but I'm doing this for peace of mind, especially since we are traveling second class and often on the weekends. Its only a few of the trains and costs of the reservations purchased in Europe seem to be only 3-4 Euros. I don't mind losing that if plans change. I just don't want to lose the cost of the whole darn ticket. It sounds like tickets between destinations are generally good on any similar train. If you tried to go up to a required-reservation train such as TGV or Eurostar Italia, you'd pay more. I guess I'm trying to have the best of both worlds, the convenience of a railpass (no standing in line) and the cost savings of point-to-point tickets!