Reload this Page >

Are there discounted chunnel tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Marija

We want to travel from Paris to London on a Saturday and I'm trying to locate fares other than the "leisure" rate. I've read about weekend rates, 14 day ahead rates, etc. but rail europe only acknowledges the leisure rate tickets. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Nancy

Check out Eurostar's website:www.eurostar.com.uk <BR>I think they have fares from Paris to London, in addition to London/Paris.

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Kate

I called 1 800 805 8210 and received a roundtrip fare of $158 USD. I was told that rate is for an overnight stay. Not sure if you can get the rate on a day trip. This fare is about $100 less than the website for the Eurostar. Please let me know if you are able to receive a lower rate.

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 02:44 PM
elvira

The really cheap fares (like the weekend day return) are only available in the U.K. (www.eurostar.co.uk). Works great if you're going London&gt;Paris, or know anyone in the U.K. that could buy the ticket and mail it to you (maybe contact a U.K. travel agency? Don't know if that works). The French don't offer that sort of fare; the cheapest is an advanced purchase WITH an overnight stay (which might be cheaper than a one-way, even if you don't use the return ticket). Even then, you have to buy it 7 or 14 days in advance <BR>www.sncf.com <BR> <BR>As much as I love the Eurostar, double check airfares (include the cost to/from the airports) between Paris and London. It might be cheaper...

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Marija

Found the rates on sncf.fr, but I am unable to book from here. There is an 850 FF weekend rate. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 04:51 PM
Marija

Decided to post the results of my investigations so people doing a search might know the outcome. There are a variety of special fares available on the sncf.fr site that are not available from rail europe or other places in the USA. The savings are considerable. The 14 day and 7 day advance purchase fares can be purchased online, paid for, and picked up in France. I never found them to be available at the US distributors. However, not all special fares can be booked online. For example, our hotel booked us the summer first class weekend roundtrip special for 810 FF ( $112) each, a considerable savings over the $199 one way first class rate available from rail europe. So there are "deals" available on the Paris-London route that can be acquired easily.