Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are reservations necessary in May in Southern Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Rita

Hello again. While I do have some confirmed lodging reservations in May, I was wondering about not having reservations on some days and just happening upon some village inn or pension while driving through southern Germany. Is this foolish? What has been your experience in finding lodging along the way? We'll be in a rental car -- Thanks!

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Rex

My very biased opinion - - <BR><BR>having no reservations causes you to:<BR><BR>use up time looking for a place<BR><BR>lose the opportunity to research a lot of neat place in the time leading up to your trip and choose the one that best suits your personality<BR><BR>have a higher chance that the person at the desk when you arrive is far from the best available english speaker - - if that's important to you.<BR><BR>fail to find that much nicer/cheaper/prettier place that is just around the next bend, but you didn't know about it.<BR><BR>having reservations causes you to - - <BR><BR>sometimes keep on driving to reach your destination even though you are tired or hungry.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:55 PM

topping, for rita<BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Jan

Hi Rita,<BR>While REx made very good points, I often travel without reservations, jsut because we do last minute trips. We live in Europe so it is easy. It adds to the stress but also to the adventure. May is not high season and there are some GREAT places out there that you never hear about. Sometimes it is fun to just explore and stop whereever looks quaint. One caveat, if you have kids, I don't recommend this style of travel. Have fun!<BR>Jan

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Paige

Watch out for the holidays: May 1, 9, 20 and 30. A lot of people will take long weekends and travel.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:58 PM
MH

You may be ok, in very small villages, but stay out of Holland, this time of year without a reservation you will be hard pressed to find a room and may end up sleeping in your very small european rental car. Have fun and hed Rexs' advice he knows the deal!!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Rita

Thanks for the comments -- I'm thinking maybe Rex is right -- I'll keep looking at postings for lodging ideas. I fear regular posters will tire of my endless questions before our trip in May, but what's a first-time overseas traveler to do? (Does anyone know if Rex or Wes has a website?)

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Rex

I do not have a website. But I have a lot of postings here. Always searchable as "rbmd".<BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Another Rita

And Wes?<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Harzer

With a rental car you will have no problems finding accommodation in Southern Germany in May. <BR><BR>Let me recommend once again the type of accommodation known as a 'Ferienwohnung'. This is a self-catering unit, often in a picturesque location such as a farm or vineyard, which sleeps 2 to 6 people in far more comfort than your average hotel room. And the prices are out of this world, averaging between 30 and 60 Euros ($26 -$52 a night for the whole darned apartment, not per capita.<BR>If you know some German, find them through the Internet; or consult the local travel office when you reach your destination.<BR><BR>It is usually expected you will stay in these places for a minimum of three days, using them a s your base for exploring the local area.<BR><BR>In France this accommodation is called a 'g&icirc;te'.<BR><BR>Harzer

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Tom

These two words have always confused me. Thanks, Harzer.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:15 AM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 01:08 AM
Harzer

A bit tongue in cheek Tom?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 05:24 AM
Jill

I can guarantee you that Tom was not tongue in cheek. Both Ferienwohnung and gite appear on a lot of websites, and I never knew for sure what they meant.<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:19 AM
Tom

Well, my wife is not named Jill. But my comments were indeed for real. I really was in the dark about both terms. Not too clear on chambres d'hote either. Or just zimmer.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Ben

I'm a firm believer in reserving accommodations ahead of time (if you have an itinerary that you plan to keep to). Rex's comments are on the money. Trying to keep to a certain budget also adds to the stress of trying to find last minute lodging (especially when you have a restless group of family or friends along). If time permits - surf the web and browse accommodations ahead of time. It relieves you of one more thing to worry about each trip - but it does require you to stay on schedule. Surfing for lodging for the next trip is one of the most fun parts of planning and one of my favorite pasttimes.<BR><BR>Back to your question - for those days that you do not have reservations - (if you know the general area where you will be on those dates) - search for possibilities in your price range - print-out pages from their websites - call ahead the day before or arrive early enough in the day to give them all a drive-by look. You shouldn't have any problems finding rooms in May (for the most part) - especially in the smaller villages. Ben Ben's Bauernhof (http://www.bavariaben.com)