Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are my Ireland drives too long? Are we trying to fit in too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Terri

I will be visiting Ireland for the first time in August and am concerned about being on the road too much. We start with two nights at the Two Mile Inn near Shannon. Should I try to change on of those nights for Dromoland Castle? We head to Killarney (Killarney Court Hotel) for two nights, then one night in Waterford (Waterford Castle) and, finally, two nights in Dublin (Stephen's Green Hotel). Should I add another night anywhere? I would love to see Bunratty/Durty Nell's, the Ring of Kerry, Rock of Cashel, Cliffs of Moher, Dingle peninsula, take a jauntry ride, Waterford Crystal Factory and Killarney National Park. Are they any other "must see" sights I should try to fit in?

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 09:07 PM
natalie

I think you have a pretty good trip planned out! Definately do Dromoland - you may not want to leave! Bunratty will not take very long, just a few hrs. Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher will probably be your longest days. In Killarney definately do a horse jaunting ride to Muckross House. We stayed at the Killarney Park Hotel and really enjoyed it. If you have time you should try to fit in Blarney Castle. Waterford Crystal factory is very good and won't take up the whole day. Mount Usher gardens are nearby, you may want to go there on your way (or before) into Dublin. I took the CIE Irish Supreme tour, you may want to check out that tours itinerary for other ideas. I'm so jealous! Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 09:12 PM
natalie

P.S. If you'd life to shave off some time to see more of the countryside 1 nt at Dromoland Castle would be good and head south. Hope ths helps!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:33 AM
David D.

Terri,<BR><BR>You'll have a splendid time in Ireland, but you are rightly concerned about drive time.<BR><BR>The drive from the Shannon region to Killarney is a fairly lengthy one, about four hours. You have a couple options: first, through south Clare, taking a ferry across the Shannon Estuary into County Kerry; or you could go through Limerick City, perhaps stopping in Adare for lunch, and then heading southwest into Killarney. Both of these options represent long drives.<BR>Given the fact you'll be in Killarney for two nights, you'll have precious little time for Dingle, and that would be a shame. Of course, you could drive back to Dingle while based in Killarney, but then you might have to sacrifice time in Killarney's National Park and/or driving the Ring of Kerry (a must, especially if the weather is on your side).<BR><BR>The trip from Killarney to Waterford will also take several hours, and I'm not so sure that I'd recommend it given your single overnight. As an alternative, consider staying in or near Cashel, to see the remarkable Rock of Cashel. <BR><BR>Finally, as you leave Cashel, heading for Dublin, do consider staying the better part of a day seeing Glendalough and Powerscourt, both loccated in County wicklow, a mere hour's drive from Dublin.<BR><BR>Best of luck.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Candy

If you think the drives are too long, then they are too long.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:44 AM
bill

Terri:<BR><BR>Dromoland would certainly be a nice option. Yes, the drive to Killarney from the Limerick area is about 4 hours and you'll probably stop enroute. A few notes on those choices. Bunratty and Killarney will be mobbed in August. A trip to Durty Nellie's will not be a highlight and you can certainly find better choices in other villages. Durty Nellie's is more of a tourist venue.<BR><BR>Try a small town outside of Killarney. Kenmare is popular choice, but I suspect it too, will be pretty crowded. You might try towns like Sneem, Glenbeigh or Killorglin. As beautiful as the Ring of Kerry can be, it will also be extremely crowded. That might be the one time of the year that I would leave the driving to someone else. From Kilorglin you could easily see Dingle, which might be a bit less crowded than the Ring. As an option to Kerry, you could try Beara.<BR><BR>I agree with the David on the notion of going to Cashel or Cahir as an option to Waterford. The Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle are quite nice.<BR><BR>In the end, it may not be the drives that are too long, but all of the things you are trying to fit in during a very busy time of year that may be the problem. <BR><BR>Slow down and have fun!<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Terri

Thanks for your help! I will change one night for Dromoland. Sounds like it would be a little more relaxing if I added another night in Kilarney or Waterford (or Cashel if I decide to switch). Based on what I want to see, should I add a night in Killarney? To save on some of the driving, I thought I would take a tour whenever I can, such as the Ring of Kerry

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Wendy

Terri,<BR><BR>I've been following your thread and just thought I'd add my own 2 cents here. I think that you have the right idea about your route and drive times. However, I must say that since you will be traveling in August through Kerry you will be slowed down by buses, bikes and tons of cars in general. You may just want to give your self &quot;double time&quot; for that area of the country and then any time that is quicker will be a bonus for you.<BR><BR>Personally I stay the heck away from that whole area during tourist season; give me the emptyness of Donegal, Mayo, Kilkenny or Offaly any time!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Trixie

Maybe consider skipping the Ring of Kerry and doing the Dingle Peninsula instead? We found the Ring of Kerry to be crowded with tour buses. Dingle was much less crowded. Maybe the tour buses can't get around the Dingle Peninsula as well? The drive over the Connor (Conor?) Pass was beautiful--and exciting. It's very narrow!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Debbie

<BR>Have to put my vote in for the Ring of Kerry by Bus. Since I was doing all of the driving, it was a treat for me to sit back and let someone familiar with the route drive me. <BR>No worries about the sharp curves, no frustration at being behind a slow moving vehicle ( more time for me to enjoy the view.) <BR>Lots of great stories and history, explanations I never would have had driving it myself. ( Also - got to hear some Hal Roach comedy tapes, and liked them so much we bought 2 in Sneem , and listened to them during our final days drives <BR>We used Corcoran tours - picks you up right at your B&amp;B.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:57 PM
travelingal

Debbie's idea sounds good! Save yourself the stress of a very long ride! But definitely worth it, I wouldn't skip it. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.