Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are many beaches in Greece clothing optional?

Jul 18th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Sam

We are planning a first trip to Greece in September and want to try and visit some of the less populated/less touristy spots. I have heard that many of the beaches in the more isolated areas are clothing optional. I have nothing against anyone that wishes to go nude, but would just like to know what to expect. Are all of the areas clearly marked? Is it accpetable to remain clothed or is it better to say when in Greece....

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jul 18th, 2000, 09:14 AM
bobbie

We visited the black beach on Santorini and some of the women were topless but everyone seemed to wear whatever they wanted to wear but it was not a nude beach.

Jul 18th, 2000, 10:29 AM
alia

i visited greece 3 yrs ago and we went to a public beach in athens. there were some topless women and others not. everybody seemed to mind their own business.

Jul 18th, 2000, 01:54 PM
Diane

On Mykonos they have Paradise and Super Paradise Beaches, which are clothing optional. In 1989 I went to both sans bathing suit. I figured since I was alone and didn't know anyone, this was a great chance to feel the sun on my body. No regrets. At the time, Super Paradise was primarily a gay beach.

Also went to Skiathos in 1992. My boyfriend and I went to a clothing optional beach where most people were nude. He was a very happy man.

Jul 19th, 2000, 03:13 AM
Up2You

I think you'll find that at the main tourist beaches many people will go topless. In the more out of the way areas, there will be some designated "nude" beaches - and I think that if you go on those areas you should adopt the when in Greece... approach.
On some of the other isolated beaches, you will find that anything goes - some people will be nude and some not - it really will be up to you. I have gone nude on some of the beaches in Greece and have enjoyed the experience - but I wouldn't get hung up on it. If you feel comfortable at the time - then go for it. If you don't then that's fine too.

If you do decide to give it a try - it goes without saying that you need to be careful with the sun protection - I can't imagine what sunburn would feel like on areas that don't normally see the light of day.

Have a good trip.

Jul 30th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Sharon

My family and I have been to Greece several times, and most of the beaches are undoubtedly "traditional" (i.e. non-nudist) due to the fact it is quite a religious country. We have, on the other hand, been to one beach in Antiparos (the tiny island next to Paros) which is one of the scarce cloth-optional beaches in Greece and it was such a wonderful experience we kept coming back year after year. If you feel uncomfortable, these beaches are easily avoidable - just take a look at the people around you and it will all come clear.
Have a nice trip.