Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are Fanny Packs still considered taboo or just tacky?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know in the last 3 years, thanks to the terrorists or our president (take your pick) it was not such a smart idea to wear a fanny pack when travelling overseas as it identified you as an "American". Before that it was just seen as tacky. I really liked my fanny pack when travelling and I gave it up. I was in Spain in March and don't remember seeing many. So my question is, is there still a ban on fanny packs or can I wear one safely and just be considered a geeky American?
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:53 PM

I saw lots of Germans wearing these. I've even seen Londoners wearing them (although of course they use a different term for them). I wouldn't put anything you couldn't afford to lose in it, just because it is easy for pickpockets to access.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:55 PM

Yikes zwho - don't call it a "fanny pack" in the UK! That word has an entirely different meaning over there... can't say much more than it refers to a past of the female anatomy.

There have been some other threads...

I think they look goofy and in my opinion yes, you will look like a geeky American. If that doesn't bother you then I don't see why you shouldn't use a "bum bag" as the Brits say. There will probably be lots of other things about you that "give you away" as American. So? You are!
As long as you're not rude! (and I sure can't see that being the case .
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:55 PM

That should be "part" of the female anatomy not "past".
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:00 PM

We got back from Italy a month ago and I think the only time I noticed someone wearing one was at an airport. Personally, you couldn't pay me to wear one of those. Putting safety aside, I think those things are UGLY and look horrible on everyone.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:43 PM

What exactly do you carry in a fanny pack that you wouldn't carry at home? I can't see a reason for them personally.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:54 AM

Well my dear, they're hardly a fashion statement and if you walk around London talking about how much you can pack into your "fanny pack" you will get the odd wry smile, or hysterical laughter from people in the know.

Wear a nice Prada messenger bag, these are very practical and far more stylish. Also Miu Miu and Dries van Noten have great leather bags this season for similar prices.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:24 AM
Sylvia

An American friend of mine said that she saw a branch of Marks and Spencers reduced to silence by a loud American voice exclaiming, "Does my fanny look big in this?"

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM

Whatever you want to call them, I've noticed a new habit among some Brussels (and to a lesser extent, French) teens...they wear the packs/bags hanging straight around their necks. Skateboarders in particular. Being neither a teen myself nor the parent of one, I have no idea how this fad developed or how long it will last.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:38 AM

To anmswer the original question: I somehow doubt that the presence, or absence, of a fanny pack is going to make you seem "geeky." I think, rather, that the way you dress overall, and act, will do a lot more to cement any "geekiness" ideas in others minds.

One way to beat this little personal rap of yours would be to let go of the notion that fanny packs have been "banned"...or have you had some sort of personal message from God about this?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:20 AM

Who cares whether someone thinks it is geeky? Do what you are comfortable with and what works for you (other than a dress code kind of thing for a restauarnt, etc.). I always laugh when people say doing something will identify you as an American -- they are going to know regardless. Do Europeans go out and purchase a whole new wardrobe to visit the States so that they will fit in? I doubt it, nor should they.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:14 AM

Forget the fashion considerations, fanny packs (or whatever you want to call them) are easy for thieves to rip off. That's the main reason why they are no longer in fashion!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:17 AM

Why not just wear a messenger bag, or a large purse looped through your arm and across your chest? If you wouldn't wear a fanny pack at home, why wear one while traveling? You can fit the same things in a large purse...
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:57 AM

I've used my fanny pack on all of my travels. It's small but holds all of the essentials for wandering around: money, credit cards, small camera, sunglasses, and reading glasses. It's light weight, cool (as opposed to backpacks which make my back hot), easy to get to, and leaves my hands/arms open for other things. I wear it in front and have never had a problem with pickpockets. I don't care if they're tacky or tag me as an American; I'm in to comfort and convenience. If you love using one, go for it!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:07 AM
P_M

I learned last year not to use the word "fanny" around British friends, but here goes: I use a fanny pack, but I run the strap through my beltloops. This will make it very hard for a thief to get. I keep my passport and extra cash in a money belt under my clothing. As far as how it looks, I care a lot more about comfort and convenience. I'm not there to make a fashion statement.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Longchamps makes a leather bag on a removeable belt, great for when youi are riding a bike as well as travel when you don't want to lug the too full handbag.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:44 AM

>>Personally, you couldn't pay me to wear one of those.<<

You can pay me. $25/hr. Good exposure, no bedtime wear. Minimum 4 hours, max 48. Please send contract.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:57 AM

Pac-Safe makes a fanny pack that has steel inside the belt and a lock that secures both the belt and the zippers for the two main compartments. We ordered one and my wife plans on wearing it on our family trip. It seems pretty light and convenient. It also looks very secure from pickpockets. She likes waist bags like these anyway when we travel as a family. If you are going to use a regular bag, make sure you can secure the opening.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:58 AM

Zwho... I don't think terrorists or our shrubby president are to blame for fanny packs identifying you as an "American." Believe me, there are many other things about our mannerisms, speech (including the volume we speak at), posture, etc. that give us away and that's just the way it is.

Then again, fanny packs are a sure clue that you're a tourist (of any nationality)... and there might be valuables in there... which might peg you as an easier target (or at least a more obvious one) for pickpockets in a crowded area. The only person I ever met complaining about pickpockets in Florence was from a man with a fanny pack the size of a small dog wrapped around his waist.

That said, to answer the "tacky" issue... these things have been considered "tacky" for almost as long as they've been around. I was digging out my luggage last night and I stumbled onto my old turqouise and purple fanny pack from my college days. God only knows why I still have it but my 17 month old thought it made a nice purse so she's been dragging it around the house. "Hello, the 80's are calling and they want this ugly piece of nylon back."

Of course, many people like them because they are useful. And fashion may be bringing them back in less garish colors and nicer fabrics. I'm in the "they couldn't pay me to wear one" camp... they give me bad 80's flashbacks of teal, aqua, and neon.

But if you really like yours, use it. Maybe you'll be mistaken for a German tourist... and if you really want to blend in carry a walking stick or two... that way you can beat down any pickpockets that might attempt to take something from you.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:03 AM

Hey Skatterfly

We can do without the President remark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -