Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Rides Cold ?

Sep 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I will preface this question wIth a blanket apology for asking a possibly self-evident silly question, but how cold is it up there in the hot air balloons over Cappadocia? We'll be taking our ride on October 24.

Earlier this year we went to the top of Haleakala on Maui to see the sunrise, and the temps were around 30F. Admittedly, that was at 10,000 feet, but it was also Hawaii. We had been warned of the temps so I packed my silk longies, a hoodie and some gloves, and I was comfortable. (Other folks came with the blankets from their hotel rooms.) I'm not really anxious to take long underwear and gloves to Turkey, but I don't want to be too cold to enjoy the Cappadocia landscape, either.

Six more weeks!
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:40 PM

We went at about the same time last year. You go so early in the morning (not quite day light when they picked us up from our hotel) that even on a warm, sunny day, it will still be cold. I wore a warm jacket, sweater and soft gloves, no long underwear though. It is a fabulous experience!
Sep 9th, 2012, 08:11 PM
kja

Yes, it will be cold, but I don't think you'll need long underwear. I wore wool socks with very lightweight liners, and for the earliest portion of the flight, I layered a shawl and lightweight, warm top (a Sporthill zone 3) over my otherwise "normal" top for the day. I also had, and intermittently used, a pair of silk gloves and 360s. All very lightweight stuff that took almost no space. I far prefer to have a few extra layers that I can shed to shivering!

The balloon ride is a wonderful experience - enjoy!
Sep 9th, 2012, 08:35 PM

The balloon ride in Capadoccia was marvellous. You will go in the early morning to catch the drafts. And there will be many balloons up with you mkaing fabulous photos.

We were there in Sept but still wore wool hat and gloves, plus warm jacket. Also pashmina as a scarf. But wore regular jeans because legs not exposed to the air!

By the time we landed we could just shed a few layers. A trip of a lifetime. Enjoy
Sep 10th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, we're definitely looking forward to it! Thanks for the advice; this will help in packing now that I know more what to expect. I'm not a good "cold" person and want to enjoy every moment.
Sep 11th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Just got back from my trip last Saturday afternoon. Will have to post thoughts when I get dug out. I borrowed a jacked from a gent at my hotel as I didn't bring one. I'm glad I did as we took off just shortly after daybreak and a jacket was definitiely advisable. The balloon ride, along with Ephesus, the Chora Church, and walking Saklikent Gorge were the highlights of my trip.
Sep 12th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

MinnBeef! You must tell us all about your trip! Since we're doing the Cappadocia visit and day trip to Ephesus, too, I am selfishly especially interested in that.

Hope you had a wonderful time!
Sep 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM

Hi purduegrad. I will try and get some thoughts posted, hopefully this weekend. You will love Turkey.
Sep 19th, 2012, 08:36 PM

Purdue, thought I'd post before I forgot. Did the balloon ride yesterday. It's been in the upper 80s here in Goreme. I was glad to be bundled up in the pre-dawn weather, but once we were aloft the heat from the flame kept it from being really cold. By the time we landed and the sun had come up I was a bit warm.

I actually envy you going in October right now. There's so much hiking and climbing up things that it's rather brutal in this heat! Still, it's been incredible and the balloon ride was magical.
Sep 20th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Peg! Makes me look forward all the more to the balloon ride. It seemed a bit of an extravagance when I was debating whether or not to do it (we resisted the temptation in Albuquerque) but I'm glad we decided to take the plunge (well, let's hope not!)

I've been thinking about the cooler October weather, but your logic makes sense. We didn't have much choice in the timing (our schedules aren't that flexible) so it is what it is. Everything is a compromise, but maybe this time the later trip will work in our favor. Now just to figure out what to pack, to be comfortable (and stylish, of course) in both Istanbul and Goreme. And Ephesus. In one bag (we have strict packing rules -- no schlepping four bags up five flights of stairs).

I guess there are worse quandries to be in!
Sep 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM

We were in Turkey last October for the month as part of a 4-month around-the-world trip. My husband and I each had a carry-on sized bag that sufficed for the entire trip. You can do it! Istanbul was cool and damp at the end of October, but at the beginning of the month it was perfect. Ephesus was still quite warm early in the month (no sweaters). Cappadoccia in mid-October was warm days, cool evenings. On our balloon ride I layered with a long-sleeved t-shirt, sweater, scarf. and windbreaker, with cotton pants. Like others have said, it was brisk while we were waiting for the ride but warm once the fire started.