Are cameras allowed┐

Jul 29th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Jeannette

Are cameras allowed┐

I am planning a trip to Italy and am wondering if I would be able to take pictures in major museums in Florence and places like the Sistene chapel in Rome. Thank You for all comments.

Jul 29th, 2000, 04:30 PM
chris

When I was in Rome in 1994 cameras were not allowed in the Sistene Chapel.

Jul 29th, 2000, 05:35 PM
Don

Yes, they were allowed everywhere we went in May except the Villa Borghese-do not miss it. Flash is not allowed at most though so be sure you know how to turn off your flash and use high speed film like 200-400.

Jul 29th, 2000, 06:08 PM
kam

The last time I was at the Sistene Chapel--admittedly a while ago, photographs were not allowed. There are signs at the entrance to all places that will tell you if you may take photos. If you don't see them, a nice thing to do is to ask the guards if photos are permitted. In general, I think you will find that purchasing a small postcard of the art is better than the way your photos will turn out, unless you are a superior photographer.

Jul 29th, 2000, 06:34 PM
howard

ROME
Cameras are not allowed in the Sistine Chapel. However, you can take photographs just about everywhere else in the Vatican Museum; and with few exceptions, you can use flash.
Cameras with flash are allowed in St. Peter's Basilica.
Cameras with flash are allowed in the Pantheon.
FLORENCE
Cameras are allowed in the Uffizi; flash is allowed just about everywhere there.
Cameras are allowed in the Academia. They let you use flash to take pictures of Michelangelo's David, but you can't use flash anywhere else in the museum.
VENICE
We weren't allowed to take any pictures in St. Mark's Basilica or in the Doge's Palace. However, there seems to be no restrictions on taking photographs from the rear balcony in the basilica.

Jul 29th, 2000, 11:18 PM
cindy

In regard to the earlier suggested film speed, keep in mind the higher the number the less light you need. Kodak's MAX film at 800 speed works best if flash is unavailable.