Are any of you computer experts?

Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:59 PM
Shadow

Are any of you computer experts?

OK, I am going crazy....its been a month now....and we can't figure what is wrong...
maybe you can help.

I cannot pull up some threads...others come up....on the ones that do come up I can only read some of the responses-only until the bar at the right goes down to the bottom....
I have emailed Fodors and they do not respond. Seems noone else is having this problem. Any ideas on what to do???
Thank you for any help!
Shadow

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:49 AM

Mac? or PC?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:16 AM
Ron

Shadow, to add to top's question, which browser, how are you connecting to your ISP? Does this happen all the time or just certain times?
The waiting for the scroll bar sounds like a slow connection or a very slow response time (lots of people on line.) With IE5 I found that I had to accept cookies to read the threads but IE6 blocks the cookies and still lets me read the threads.
You can get a hint of how well you are receiving by watching the little "lights" for your modem, probably on the startbar when you are connected. Lots of blinks hints that you are receiving ok, no blinks means nothing is coming/going. You should also be able to right-click on the icon and get a status for your connect speed.
I'm not surprised that fodors doesn't respond. Its great that they provide this service for us but it sounds like the problem is at your end.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:31 AM
Rec

I use IE5, block cookies and can still read the threads - usually.

Technically, Fodors is simply a very poor website. That's the problem.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:33 AM
Rec

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:33 AM
Rec

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:27 AM
pb

Have an iMac, use IE5.1 for Mac(R), don't block anything (I'm not that computer literate) and have no problems.....Touch wood......

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:56 AM
freddy

Rec
well, maybe Fodor's is a poor web site but you seem to be a poor poster, having posted the same message THREE times....so I suspect you are not so bright when it comes to using computers either.

Back to the original question, yes I am an expert on computers and my many years of experience tell me that in most cases the computers suck.

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Shadow

Thanks for the replys/info.
I am using a pc.
The problem is ALL the time-even very, very early in the morning.
We had dsl so our response time is quick. I just cannot pull up some threads.
I do not have a cookie problem.
I will have my husband read your responses-he is working 16 hour days right now and I am not a computer person at all!

So, I will respond back again as soon as I can!
Thank you-this is very frustrating!
Shadow

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:19 PM
editor

Dear Shadow,
We would like to try to help you with your problems accessing posts, but we do not have the original e-mail you sent to Fodors.com. In order to try to replicate your problem we will need more information about your setup, browser, etc. Can you please e-mail us at [email protected] so we can forward our questions to you? Thank you for your interest in Travel Talk.
Regards,
The editors and producers at Fodors.com