Reload this Page >

Are Americans Welcome in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Jill

Some people who've posted on this board have hinted Parisians aren't really bonding w/ the US in this time of crisis. Can anyone who's been in Paris recently elaborate? Personal anecdotes would be much appreciated. I'm heading there soon and just want to know what I'm in for.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
gee

Why would you rely on "personal anecdotes"?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:19 AM
Bob

Some people on this board may have been negative but most have had positive remarks about being in France or Paris after 09/11. Rick Steves has a posting that is just from people who have returned from Europe. Has a lot of the personal anecdotes you wanted. <BR>Ck: http://www.ricksteves.com/travelon/quotes.htm

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:19 AM
xxx

Jill, <BR> <BR>I just got back from Paris. if you want to talk about the trip you are planning and some of the things that are going on in Paris right now, respond with your email and I will correspond with you. <BR> <BR>I am an American female, mid thirties, lots of time spent in Parism - all times of the year.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:30 AM
Liam

My in-laws were "stuck" in France for a week following 9/11, and felt the French were very warm and gave many condolences to them once they were discovered to be Americans.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:31 AM
Kari

Just returned from a trip to England and Paris. The last five days were in Paris and we had no problems. Lots of Americans were there and felt fine.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:20 PM
karen

I arrived in Paris on September 9th and found the French to be warm, kind and very helpful knowing full well that I was an American. Afer 9/11 they became more compassionate, caring and loving. I stayed at the Brighton Hotel on the Rue de Rivoli. The staff was exceptionally nice and helpful towards me. Up and down the street were signs in the windows expressing their sorrow for our country and offering use of their telephones, faxes, computers. Whatever they could do to help. <BR> <BR>Of course there were frustrating times but it was because I wasn't sure how soon I would beable to return to America. I ended up staying 4 additional days making it a total of 12 days. I cannot say enough kind things about the French. <BR> <BR>Just go there with a good attitude and don't expect special favors or service because you are an American and you'll be fine.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:25 PM
Alain

Karen. you sound like a vegetable when you say "don't expect special favors or service because you are an American". The french can be arrogant, incompetent and lazy, and that is why they refuse to do special favors or services for anyone that is not french. You think you are so knowledgeable on the french because you spent a whopping 12 days there? How ridiculous you are. I have been living in France for over 10 years, and had previously traveled there for 30 years. I am currently visiting my daughters in the States. My girls have learned from visiting me in France throughout the years, that when they act like the french - arrogant and anti-social to outsiders - the french swarm all over them and give them superb service. The french despise friendlness from strangers, and mistake it for weakness. That is part of their culture. I know because my grandparents were french. You must be polite, stern, and confidant. Do not act confused or gitty, you will receive poor service.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:04 AM
anon

There is an element of truth to the previous post. The firm I work for is French owned, the behaviour usually displayed by the expats that they send here is outrageous. What we may think of as polite and respectful, they think of as weak, and to be conquered. It just amazes me.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:24 AM
Tim

Is that like in conquering the German's in WWII. Get off it. The French have to be the weakest form of country that exist's since the war.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:31 AM
kkkk

I hate it when people post comments like "You think you are so knowledgeable on the french because you spent a whopping 12 days there? How ridiculous you are." What a jerk. She didn't say she was an expert, she was just telling about her experiences. Please keep your snotty remarks to yourself.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:56 AM
welcome

From reading posts like this , I feel like I have visited other countries called France and England...the France/Paris and London/England that we visit, have people just like us!! Where ever we go, they smile and talk to us-they are helpful,considerate, much like people here! How amazing!that there can actually be people outside of the US that are polite and nice! I have to admit, when going to Paris for the first time, so many people told me that the Parisians were rude-I never met them..should I tell you about the people in the US that have been rude to me? From waiters to store clerks to strangers in restaurants, I have always been treated well in other countries...try to go on your trip with an open mind and be nice-see what happens.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:01 AM
BTilke

We spent all of last week in Paris. Everyone treated us well--we had no encounters with rude people. I've been to Paris more times than I can count and can't even remember the last time a French person was actively rude to me or anyone traveling with me. <BR>The only place that disappointed was the Cafe Marly, but I've always felt it was over-rated. The Cafe de l'Esplanade near Les Invalides, however, was superb. If you'd like to get away from the tourists one morning (although there aren't that many), head over to the Place Victor Hugo (in the 16th), metro stop Victor Hugo, and have your morning coffee at Scossa (also a nice seafood restaurant). We sat in the sunny terrace overlooking the fountains in the Place Victor Hugo, had great coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice, and made small talk with a nice woman and her friendly English bulldog. The Hotel du Bois nearby on the Ave. Victor Hugo is one of my favorite places in Paris and right now nice rooms are under $100 a night. <BR>Lines at the Eiffel Tower were almost non-existent. We went up on a beautiful clear night and waited all of 4 minutes from the time we bought the tickets to the time we were in the elevator. <BR>The crowds at Notre Dame were far thinner than usual and for the first time in ages, it felt truly serene inside. <BR>We had two delicious lunches at Les Fous de l'Ile on the rue des Deux Ponts on the Ile St. Louis (the appetizers and main courses were excellent but the desserts just standard) and a nice casual dinner at Brasserie Bosquet. At the Sancerre wine bar, we fell into a long conversation with some locals, two Air Canada pilots on an extended layover, and the owner. Mass transit workers (RATP) were demonstrating on the Ave. Bosquet and several stopped to explain (politely) in detail to us the reasons for their protest. <BR>Some of my colleagues are French and they are some of the sweetest, funniest, most unarrogant, unconceited people I know. Very competent and hard working, too. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Karen

Thank you to those that support me and share my opinion of the wonderful people of Paris. <BR> <BR>Alain you sound like an extremely angry person and for that I am sorry. These postings are to help those that are asking for advice. I just gave my opinion. I don't remember saying anything that was set in stone. <BR> <BR>Like I said I didn't "expect" special treatment. But guess what?? I got it many times over. Maybe because I didn't act as though it was due me. There are arrogant, incompetent and lazy people all over the world not just in France. Wherever you go there are going to be good and bad people. Just look for the good and try and avoid the bad. <BR> <BR>You say to act polite and self confident. Since when is acting arrogant and anti-social like you said we should behave as being polite? <BR> <BR>You called me a vegetable. Who's the vegetable. You are the one who has been living in France for 10 years. If it's so bad then why are you there? <BR> <BR>I still hold on to the opinion that I loved Paris and was treated wonderfully. <BR> <BR>I thought these postings were to help one another out. Not to be mean and insulting as you have been to me. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Macno

Okay, NOW I get it. The one obnoxious person to be found in Paris is ALAIN! Only those unfortunate to have met him there say that Parisians are rude

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:23 PM
StCirq

Dear Alain: <BR> <BR>Would you mind explaining what "gitty" means? I spend a whole lot of time in Paris every year and have for the past 20 years and have never been concerned about how I was going to be treated, but if there's some new attitude I don't know about in wake of recent events, I'd appreciate enlightenment. What is "gitty" and how do I avoid being it?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Book Chick

StCirq, <BR>I'm guessing that he means giddy. Hell, I can't remember the last time I saw a giddy American, in or outside of the U.S.! <BR>BC

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:40 PM
concerned

Poor Alain, glad we are not in your family, you most likely attract the people who are like you-not nice.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:43 PM
mimi taylor

If my father were visiting me, he would not be on the web. We would be together enjoying each other's company.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 08:22 AM
topper

topp....ing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -