Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are 4 days in Figeac too much--St. Cirq??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip this September and will spend the first 5 days in Sarlat, from which we will do little day trips. Right now we are looking at spending an additional 4 nights in Figeac and doing day trips from there to some of "les plus beaux villages", Conques and local markets and the like.

St. Cirq and others, you have helped me often--one more question here--do you think we would be happy with Figeac as a base for 4 nights or is that too long? We have decided to keep the driving down this year as my husband does it all and it will make it less stress for him. We would then head on to Toulouse for the last night and our flight home. We have been to Rocamadour, Cahors and Pech Merle previously--but are open to seeing them again, depending on the options. One more thought--has anyone ever stayed in Cajarc--seems to have a pretty little hotel and it appears to be very central to the area.

Many thanks for Fodorite thoughts and suggestions.

Take care,
Robyn France
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Hi, Robyn. I love Figeac (where are you staying?), but it's the type of place that demands a certain type of traveler to enjoy for 4 nights. There is a lot to see in the area, but most of it is stuff most people would fly right by.
I think I know enough about your travel habits to say that you will be happy there for 4 days. In addition to Conques and Peche Merle and St-Cirq-Lapopie and Cahors, there is St-Céré and Villefranche-de-Rouergue, and even Rodez, and all the tiny in-between places.
No, I haven't stayed in Carjac - what hotel is it there that intrigues you?
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:43 PM

Can't comment on your question except to say Rodez is the friendliest place we have ever been in France. The people there were just wonderful and they all seemed to be very happy.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:47 PM

You don't say how you are traveling, but I assume by car. There is nothing that says if after 2 days you've seen enough, you can't just move on...the joy of having a car and traveling out of the summer season.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all--I really don't know anything about Rodez--is that an interesting area to visit--also, has anyone ever been to Lautrec? It is the center of pastel (a plant) which is then used as a dye and in paints. It is also the center of pink garlic. A very interesting website http://lautrec.free.fr/ indicates that it is one of the plus beaux villages and it appears charming. As I am a painter--a pastellist--I cannot resist going to the source of "le pastel"--it actually looks like a tall Chamisa bush from the photo. We have been to Albi before but wouldn't mind returning there as well--it is lovely.

Excuse me for rambling on--it is how we plan our trips but it does seem as if we could spend 4 days in Figeac or 2 and then move on to Albi for 2 days--or even spend 4 days in Najac--which might give us easier access to a circle of sites. St. Cirq--the hotel which looked pretty in Cajarc is La Ségalière--http://pro.wanadoo.fr/hotelsegaliere/
although I don't know if the town is sufficiently sized for restaurants at night.

Well, I seem to have offered a confused story here, but thank you all for your input. Would like to know more about Rodez, Lautrec if anyone has been there and other thoughts of wonderful stops near Albi--we have been to Cordes previously and thought it beautiful but heavily touristed.

Take care,
Robyn France
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Please forgive--one more thing--in doing some more reading I see that the plus beaux villages and sites in the Tarn are quite accessible from Najac--Puycelsi, Castelnau de Montmiral, Gaillac, Monestiès. Have you traveled through there? Thanks again.

Take care,
Robyn France
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

topping--also, St Cirq--I meant to respond that we are considering Hotel des Bains which looks to have spacious rooms. Any feedback there?
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

topping --hoping St. Cirq is around. She has written a wonderful account of her most recent trip on Slow Trav--don't miss it.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:17 PM

HI, Robyn. No, don't know the hotels you mention, but my experience in that part of France has been that they are all good, with welcoming families and good service.

Yes, Lautrec is worth visiting, although my last fly through there was at about 5 pm and we didn't stop - from my reading and a general look-see, though, I'd make it a point to stop there.

Castelnau-de-Montmiral is tiny but well worth a stop. It's the ultimate hill town that hasn't been discovered. Discover it.

Gaillac is a trip - I've never seen so many grape vines in my life as in the fields around Gaillac, and it has a warm little town square (oval, actually), with that St-Pierre restaurant that everyone haunts thats actually owned by an American-British couple - hence the California Salad on the menu.

It's a part of France that isn't overtly appealing, as there are other places with more scenic appeal, etc., but for the long-time traveler there is a sort of "yes, finally!" type of feeling that comes with roaming through it - a chance to get back to the France that others "discovered" 30-50 years ago. I think you'll like it, Robyn.

Thanks for your kind comments on my trip reports on SlowTrav. They were posted here, too, and I hope to get my reports from Provence and the Drôme up here within a few days.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Just an interesting and fortuitous footnote to all this--I happened to hear from a cousin whom I haven't seen in 30 years--and it turns out he owns a country home near Lacapelle Marival, 15 km from Figeac. He has invited us to use him lovely country home instead of staying at a hotel--we are so pleased to have the option--has anyone been to Lacapelle Marival--noticed it is one of the plus beaux villages and that the Tour de France goes through. We are excited to be able to go to the markets and do some food prep and overlook the countryside while we dine. We leave in 4 weeks--will report back--still doing 5 nights in Sarlat at a Chambre d'hôtes. Hosts seem most delightful.

All suggestions welcome.