Search

aqueducts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:33 PM
randy

aqueducts

Where are the best examples of aqueducts in Italy. Tried a search, and the travel books I have. In particular, the section used in the volkswagen ad, about the enginnering marvel of the arch.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Rex

From http://www.inforoma.it/aqueduct.htm <BR> <BR>==================================== <BR> <BR>Traces of aqueducts in modern Rome: <BR> <BR>Parco Lemonia (Parco degli Acquedotti): crossed by substantial remains of the aqueducts Anio Vetus, Aqua Marcia (also bearing Aqua Tepula and Aqua Julia) and Aqua Claudia (also bearing Anio Novus) and the Acqua Felice conduit built by Pope Sixtus V in 1585. (The park is not far from metro station Giulio Agricola on the A line. You can also see it from the train between Rome and Ciampino, on the line to the Castelli.) <BR> <BR>Porta Furba: all the above-mentioned aqueducts converge at this point and then run parallel along Via del Mandrione towards the Via Casilina and Porta Maggiore. It was near here that the Goths cut Rome's water supply in the 6th century. (Go to metro station Porta Furba on the A line and walk up the flyover.) <BR> <BR>Porta Maggiore: most of the aqueducts entered Rome here. The gate was originally just one of the arches of the Aqua Claudia, "monumentalized" at the point where it crossed the Via Labicana (now Via Casilina): it bears inscriptions relating to its construction by Claudius and restoration by Vespasian and Titus. (Trams 13 and 30 from the Colosseum go to Porta Maggiore, which is also visible as you leave Termini station by train, on your right.) <BR> <BR>Via Statilia: at one point an inverted syphon is visible. (Walk from Porta Maggiore.) <BR> <BR>Piazza Vittorio: the Roman remains in the gardens in the center of the square are what is left of a castellum (water cistern) and monumental fountain. (Metro A to Vittorio.) <BR> <BR>Piazza S. Giovanni in Laterano: arches of the Aqua Claudia, incorporated into later buildings, can be seen on the northern side of the square. <BR>Via di Santo Stefano Rotondo: remains of the aqueduct built by Nero to serve his Domus Aurea (a branch of the Aqua Claudia). <BR> <BR>Via di San Gregorio: you can see where another branch of the Aqua Claudia, added by Domitian, crossed the Via Sacra (now Via di San Gregorio) from the Celian Hill to the Palatine, supplying the emperor's palace. <BR> <BR>Porta San Sebastiano: the arch across the road just inside the gate once carried the aqueduct supplying the Baths of Caracalla (a branch was added to the Aqua Marcia aqueduct by Caracalla for this purpose). Like Porta Maggiore, the arch was "monumentalized" where it crossed a major road, in this case the Via Appia. <BR> <BR>================================ <BR> <BR>I suppose that I have seen one or more of these and never really gave them much thought. I also think that they don't begin to compare to Pont du Gard (near Nimes, in France) - - perhaps because of their isolated nature, and spectacular height - - or aqueducts located near Segovia (Spain). <BR> <BR>See http://romanliving.homestead.com/aqua6.html for a couple of pictures. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 08:16 PM
robin

Randy: <BR> <BR>I think the aqueduct used in the Volkswagen ad is in France --- I've not been there, but a friend says it's that one (probably the Pont du Gard ???). <BR> <BR>The best example of an aqueduct that I've seen is OUTSIDE of Italy --- the aqueduct in Segovia. As it was still being used into the 20th century, I think it certainly wins the honor of superior workmanship.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Capo

Randy, Robin's correct, the aqueduct in the Volkswagen ad is the Pont du Gard, in France. Specifically, it's between the towns of Tarascon and Uzes in southern France, and was constructed by the Romans to bring water to their city of Nimes. It, and the setting, where it crosses the Gard river with soaring arches in three tiers, are spectacular in person, and I think the way it's used in the ad is very clever.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:52 AM
Randy

Thanks so much for the replies. I should be able to fit the one in Nimes in to my holidays. It will be well worth a 2 hour detour to see.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Pedro

I think the best preserved aqueducts that can still be visited are: <BR> <BR>France: Pont du Gard. Gorgeous aqueduct surrounded by lush vegetation. <BR> <BR>Spain: Segovia Roman Aqueduct. Imposing and located just in the heart of the city. <BR> <BR>Another well preserved ones are in the vicinity of Tarragona ,Merida and Almuņecar, all in Spain.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 07:05 PM
topper

I seem to recall that there is a stretch of aqueduct in a scene, supposedly in Sicily, in some of the footage that involves Michael meeting and marrying Appolonia. <BR> <BR>Does such a place exist in Sicily? Or was is filmed somewhere else? Does anyone recognize it? <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 08:25 PM
--------

Just for clarity, you are referring to scene from The Godfather ??? <BR> <BR>Don't recall if offhandedly, but will pay closer attention -- cable station is always re-running the Godfather movies. <BR>