Apt. versus hotel or B&B?

Feb 20th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Elaine

Apt. versus hotel or B&B?

We were going to stay at 2 different hotels or B&B's for our 4 day mid-March stay in Rome because of the rate increase in the middle of our stay (our 1st choice became to expense for our last 2 days). In checking for our last 2 nights we were offered an apt (cheap) where we can stay all 4 nights after they said yes, we have a vacancy and then -before we could confirm - they filled up. It is on a little side street in the downtown area (near Piazza Navona)and looks nice. (They sent pictures). Is there a down-side to this? We won't have to move mid-stay and I'll have a refridgerator for my medicine which I need. Those are the pluses that I know of off-hand. If you've stayed at an apt, please let me know the pros and cons. Thanks!!

Feb 21st, 2001, 03:37 AM
Ieda

Elaine, see this site:

www.b-b.rm.it

Ieda/Brazil

Feb 21st, 2001, 05:50 AM

I've stayed at B & B's regularly, hotels and apartments in Europe and other locations. I think while I love the B&B experience I would only like it for one nite, maybe two, more as a stop for a nite as we travel. I prefer a B&B over a hotel on those occasions as you get to meet some of the locals and they are a wealth of info on the area. With an apartment you have more privacy and more room to come back to relax at the end of the day, particularly if you're in a location for more than a day or two. You can sit in a living room and have a drink, snacks whatever in privacy. I always feel awkward sitting in the living room at most B&Bs. Also not having to move again for 4 days is very attractive.

Feb 21st, 2001, 07:24 AM
Elaine

Thanks for the 2 answers:
Ieda, I checked the web-site you posted and it is very interesting. Plus I got to see some other apartments besides the one (and only) that we were offered and so it was nice to be able to compare.
And Bashful, I think you are right about having a little breathing room at the end of a long day. My worry was about feeling a little isolated but then I guess you can't consider a desk-clerk or house-keeper as 'company'. We will take the apartment plunge and we'll know for future reference if it was a good idea or not! Another thought I had was regarding breakfast but a little planning and we can prepare that ourselves. This will definately be a new vacation experience.
Thanks again..it's so nice to find replies after posting a question.

Feb 21st, 2001, 11:01 AM
bashful

By the way Elaine...I always buy myself some lovely fresh flowers for the table im my temporary home - it adds a touch of home and brightens up my new digs.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:50 AM
Ieda

Elaine, there is this site too:

www.hotel.it

Ieda/Brazil

Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:33 PM
Elaine

Thanks Ieda and Bashful (again). Plans are now set in stone and when we get back I will advise all fodorites on our apartment experience. I can imagine myself walking around Rome commenting on every hotel I see because of all my 'surfing'. But it's all been fun and very helpful.

Search this Thread