Reload this Page >

Applauding upon landing

Search

Applauding upon landing

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:55 PM
x

Applauding upon landing

How does everyone feel about applauding when your flight lands? I think it's a nice gesture. 99% of the time (thank God) I'm travelling for a good reason and I'm happy to land. But lots of time I'm the "lone clapper" except for maybe one or two others who join in. On flights to Puerto Rico I've found that everyone applauds. But this is the exception rather than the rule. One nice memory was landing in Tel Aviv - the passengers sang a song (I don't know what it was). Your opinion?...

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:01 PM
xxx

<BR>I just noticed that phenomenon recently. I thought maybe it was a collective release of some post 9/11 anxiety.<BR><BR>Personally, I think it's corny, but what's the harm? The pilots might consider it condescending, since you're applauding something they perform correctly about 99.9999999% of the time. On the other hand, they might appreciate the acknowledgment. Any commercial airline pilots out there?

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Uncle Sam

On Saturday September 15, 2001 my wife and I flew on what I believe to be the very first flight back to the United States from Europe after the act of war on September 11, 2001.<BR><BR>The Delta flight was from Paris CDG to Cincinnati.<BR><BR>The flight, whose departure was delayed for over five hours, was carrying a plane full of somewhat worried passengers that were glad to get home.<BR><BR>The pilot upon touchdown gave us a short speech about how proud he was to have had the opportunity fo fly us home and how much the USA meant to him...he was greeted by a long and loud ovation.<BR><BR>Had we not had seatbelts on, it would have been a standing ovation I am sure!<BR><BR>US

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Grasshopper

Uncle Sam, you gave me goosebumps.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Statia

I have noticed that passengers tend to clap upon landing after a very turbulent flight or rough landing. I have always kind of liked it, even if it is a bit cheesy. I guess it's a comraderie thing.<BR><BR>I fly frequently (have no choice living on a rock in the ocean) and always feel blessed to land safely on the ground again. So, I can see the reason that passengers clap at times.<BR><BR>Uncle Sam, your experience and the pilot's words must have been quite moving.<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Nancy

I have noticed it a long time on flights to Germany. I think it is a German tradition. I can't think of the name of the airline where they always have clapped upon landing.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Nancy Again

Oh it is LTU airlines. I think it is nice, it is so rare that we have any spontaneous comraderie with strangers. It is like a mini feeling of global community.

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Dale

The very first time I flew was in 1977 when I took my young daughter from our Nova Scotia home to Florida. It was mid-winter and when that plane landed safely in the wonderful Florida sunshine, EVERYONE clapped, and I joined in with the same enthusiasm. This happened every time I went to Florida, and I thought it was something that everyone did when the plane landed. NOT! The first time I flew to a non-Florida destination, actually a business trip, I nearly died of embarrassment when I started clapping in my usual frenzied manner when the plane landed in Montreal. Gee, did I feel totally stupid, as no one else clapped. The conclusion that I reached is that all the passengers on the Florida charter flights were all on vacation and just so happy to be starting things off, they responded accordingly. Up until I read this discussion, I thought only winter-weary Nova Scotians did this. Glad to see it’s a universal expression of “Yippee – I’m ready for a great time.” <BR><BR>Have a great week-end everyone!<BR><BR>Dale<BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Shannon

The first time I heard people clap on landing was in 1982 on a flight from London to Paris. Most of the people on board were nuns. They crossed themselves when we took off, and clapped like crazy when we landed. It still brings a smile to my face.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:58 PM
rita

Greeks clap too. Every Olympic Airways flight I've been on has ended with clapping upon touchdown. I'm always amused because frankly I'm happy too when my OA flight arrives without incident.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:03 PM
john

They don't clap on Alitalia, but they do kiss the ground when they deplane...and for good reason.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Carmen

Spaniards clap too. It's a tradition in the Hispanic culture to clap at the end of the flight.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:20 PM
captainspeakingcockpit

Thanks everyone.But we really don't hear a thing.We're too much focused on our job and even when cockpit doors were open we really don't hear you.We've got so much noise around and too many things to pay attention too.<BR>Maria

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:44 PM

what an idiot. if you're so paranoid, stay home and give the rest of us a break. Watch Barney and sing along with the rest of the brain-dead new generation of toddlers.

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Julie

John - I took an Alitalia flight into Rome last summer and upon touchdown everyone on the plane was clapping!<BR><BR>I think its a nice gesture - after a long flight everyone is happy to be where they are going (finally!!!)

Old May 18th, 2002, 01:37 AM
osama

Kum by ya my lord, kum by ya... reward your pilot weith $100. dollar bills, or he will do nasty things to you!!!

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:03 AM
xxx

I once got the clap on a plane trip, but that is another story.

Old May 18th, 2002, 05:17 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Frequent flyers don't clap ........... bad for the image.<BR><BR>I only once heard it in Business Class, and that was a landing in Scandinavia in a snowstorm.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:14 AM
pv

This has got to be a North American (USA) thing......(Please forgive me if I am incorrect......<BR>No one applaudes me for doing my job and I don't applaude others, for doing theirs. <BR>If their help & or service to me has been exceptional, I will either say "thank you" or leave a tip, depending on what industry.<BR>I EXPECT to land safely at any airport, be it an internal or an international flight.<BR>I can understand the immediate emotions, post 11th September 2001 but 9 months later!!!!!!!!<BR><BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Uncle Sam

PV,<BR><BR>Try and understand this.<BR><BR>1. The flight occurred 4 days after 9/11<BR><BR>2. The emotions were high.<BR><BR>3. The story was told on this thread 9 months later.<BR><BR>4. And if you have no emotion over the events of 9/11 9 months later...check for your soul!<BR><BR>US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -