Apex

Jan 2nd, 2000, 07:18 PM
Marge

Apex

Can someone please tell me how to find info
on buying APEX tickets from London to Edinburgh? There will be 4 of us travelling in March.
Thanks.

Jan 2nd, 2000, 09:00 PM
Rex

The term APEX can refer to air fare or to rail. If you mean air (and if you're willing to go to Glasgow instead of Edinburgh), RyanAir has a cheap (?) fare for 55 GBP - - before taxez, 70 GBP with taxes (it may or may not be "advance purchase" - - the same fare seems to be available for Jan 4 or for March 4). This is still cheaper than the rail fare listed on RailEuropeUSA - - www.raileurope.com - - ($128 USD plus handling etc). To be truly comparable, you would actually have to add the cost of getting to Stansted airport.

Any travel agent (at least any on WorldSpan, I think) can sell you a RyanAir ticket, based on my anecdotal experience of one trip. For Edinburgh, the cheapest option is klmUK - - www.klmuk.co.uk - - from 70 GBP (also before taxes?)

I tried to get www.britrail.co.uk to price this route, but it isn't going through right now. If it's the cheapest possible rail you want, search for "Daypex" and you will find a December 22 posting by the inimitable Mr Ben Haines with a phone number and a little other info that might help you. (although it concerns a fare to York, not Edinburgh). Chances are, he will answer personally anyhow.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jan 3rd, 2000, 09:24 AM
Rex

New airline (or at least new to me - - apparently joined www.europebyair.com on 30 Nov 99)

Jresey european Airlines

A fare of 68.80 GBP (roundtrip) from London City to EDI (using arbitrary dates in March). Cheaper than the best available ONE-WAY fare of 85.00 GBP (why do airlines do this?)

Jan 5th, 2000, 11:17 PM
Nigel Doran

If you want to fly cheaply to E'burgh, try www.easyJet.com or www.go-fly.com or www.britishmidland.com.
If you want to take the train, try www.gner.co.uk or www.thetrainline.com. F Y I, trains to E'burgh leave from Kings Cross. You should be able to get return tickets from about 35 on the trains if you book ahead.
If you prefer to talk to someone regarding rail travel, try 44 8457 222 333 for The Trainline or 44 8457 225 225 for G N E R, the train firm that runs that route.
If you pick weekdays over weekends to travel and are flexible, there are bargains to be had.
If you decide to fly, remember you will have to get to and from the airports which will add to the cost. Trains go centre-to-centre and have the advantage of allowing you to walk around and see the scenery. (Durham Cathedral from the train is a pretty sight.)
Happy travelling!

Jan 7th, 2000, 04:47 PM
Kathy

Marge,
If you decide to take the train, be sure to reserve your seats and make the reservations at least a few days before you travel. We did the King's Cross to Edinburgh trip in August and didn't have reservations (oops), but we got lucky and found the last two available seats on the train. Perhaps in March you won't have a seating problem, but just to be safe, I'd reserve them.

Jan 8th, 2000, 01:15 AM
Nigel Doran

G N E R update: They are now advertising 30 return fares from London to E'burgh with restrictions until March 31st. www.gner.co.uk or the phone no. as above.

Search this Thread