apartment rental

Old May 26th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Karen

apartment rental

Has anyone rented an apartment while staying in London. We'll be there for about 10 days and thought it might be a little less expensive than staying in a hotel. We are looking for something moderate -- not deluxe, but also not really cheap. Frankly, I'm not sure what price to expect to pay. We want to be centrally located. If we were to stay in a 3 star hotel, does anyone know of a hotel that would offer a special rate or some reduction for a 10 night stay? Thanks for any information

Old May 26th, 2001, 12:43 PM
ginny

Hi Karen! Though I have never rented an apartment in London, yet, get in touch with the British Tourist Authority as they will have info. I have done self-catering elsewhere in England, Wales and Ireland and can tell you it IS less expensive and the accomodations are great. The BIG upside for me is you are not confined to one room. Knightsbridge and S. Kenssington are nice areas, centrally located.

Old May 26th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Jim Mohundro

This is not a completely fair reply since we've not yet stayed at the London flat we've rented for early July; however, the landlord and the building were recommended by Sandra Gustafson in her "Cheap Sleeps in London." We found her book "Cheap Sleeps in Italy" to be very accurate when we followed her recommendations for the hotels we chose in Florence and Venice last Summer.

In any event, she does recomend several managers of London flats and is quite frank about the benefits and drawbacks of many of the various units in each building.

This July, we'll be staying near Ennismore Gardens, which is two or three streets south of Hyde Park and about halfway between the South Kensington and Knightsbridge underground stations. Our one bedroom flat is about the same price as a hotel, but the room, we expect, will be a bit larger, and there will be cooking appliances in the unit and laundry facilities in the building. These two features, plus the Gustafson's review and the friendly correspondence from the managers, sold us on the building.

The neighborhood is a generally upscale residential and shopping area (Ava Gardner's flat was just a few doors away).

Old May 26th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Lori

We've rented apartments several times from Nick Price - check his website, Price Apartments. He has several on Balcombe St. (near Baker St. & Regent's Park) and others that he acts as an agent for. They come in various price ranges from relatively cheap (and basic, probably not exactly what you want) to moderately expensive! You cannot beat an apt. for a long stay, it's so great having a kitchen and room to spread out in. Hotels rooms in London tend to be very small. I don't think you will get any reductions for a 10 night stay - that's not overly long. Perhaps 30 days would qualify for a reduction in some places.

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:46 AM
janis

I always rent a flat when visiting London. No matter what your travel budget is you will do much beter in an apartment than in a hotel. Bare bones budget? - a small studio for 300 GBP/week. Deluxe Budget? A three bedroom 3 bath penthouse with two terraces for 1200 GBP. Do a search on any good search engine for London Holiday Flat, London vacation apartment, London Self catering, etc and you will find hundreds to choose from.

One I often use is E&E apartments near Victoria station. [email protected] They have moderately priced studio to 3 bedroom flats located throughout Pimlico, which is a nice residential area between Victoria and the river, near the Tate and not far from Buckingham Palace and Westminster.

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:59 AM
yitz

Hi,
You may want to look at these web sites,
www.London4Rent.com
www.holidayrentals.laterooms.com
www.vacationspot.com

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:14 AM
elvira

We used:
http://www.londonservicedapartments....land-house.htm

Old May 31st, 2001, 03:44 AM
karen

Many thanks to all for your helpful postings and website addresses.

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:23 AM
Sherri

We highly recommend Central London Apartments http://www.cenlonap.co.uk/

The cost is very reasonable, the location is superb, the quality is excellent, and the owners are wonderful. We rented a one bedroom apartment and it was very spacious. As soon as we checked in, fresh milk, butter, and eggs were delivered. The apartment had a washer and dryer, microwave, dishes, staples (salt, pepper, tea, sugar), television, hair dryer, and other necessary amenities.

The location is very near the British Museum and close to Tottenham Court Underground.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:28 PM
Cathy

We're renting a flat in London in two weeks from The London Connection. (londonconnection.com). We're paying $221/night for a two bedroom, one bath flat with full kitchen, living/dining room, washer/dryer in the South Kensington area. We'll let you know how it turns out.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:37 PM
Ann

We've had excellent luck with In the English Manner. Take a look at the web site: www.english-manner.com/.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Francis

For years we have rented from John Doncaster. He has two apartments at Knightsbridge & Brompton ROad, one Block from Harrod's. His email is "[email protected]" and his web-site is "www. londonapts.com". We are going again June 22nd. Two Bedroom rents for $2000.00/week. Contact me for anymore info.