Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartment on Ile Saint Louis or 7th - help me decide!

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been scrambling to find a Paris apartment at the end of May 2007, and many of the agencies are already booked. I've found two with the Alacarte agency that look promising:

1. This one is on the Ile Saint Louis located here:

http://www.alacarte-paris-apartments...uis_star.shtml

2. The second in in the 7th here:

http://www.alacarte-paris-apartments...fel-park.shtml

It seems that many people like staying on the island, but I have never been in the area. Our major concerns are safety and if the areas will be noisy at night.

It doesn't seem that too many people have used alacarte, but if anyone has used them, I would appreciate any feedback.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Definitely stay on the Ile Saint Louis! It's such a romantic location.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Opps - forgot to add that we are a party of 3 females and that both the apartments are the same price, and I think the second apartment is technically in the 15th, but it seems really close to the 7th.

I've done a bit of research here about the Ile Saint Louis and it seems that some streets are very busy/noisy since they are the main streets - is the apartment near any of them?
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Here's another vote for the Ile St. Louis apt. I have stayed on the Ile St. Louis three times now and it's my favorite area to be located. Noisy? Well, the main street, Rue St. Louis en L'Ile, is busy in the daytime and into the early evening. But that's about it. It's actually very nice.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:27 PM

It's possible the Ile St Louis is among the safest areas of Paris.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies - I'm sort of heading toward the Ile Saint Louis apartment if we can get it.

With alacarte, we need to pay a large security deposit - I know most people have done this, but I was hoping others have used the company.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Hi

Another vote for Ile St Louis. I loved its village like atmosphere and the fact I found it less noisy than the rest of Paris! We stayed in the 7th near the Champ de Mars. The area is fine but we found we had to take the metro alot to various destinations. I note that the Ile St. Louis apartment has only one bedroom. Is this a problem? The other one has 1.5 bedrooms - is that to cater for a midget?
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add that the Ile Saint Louis is 430 sq ft. and on the third floor without elevator, while the apartment in the 7th/15th is 650 sq ft. and although on the 7th floor has an elevator.

If you want to look at the links, you could tell me what the pros/cons are to each apartment.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

worldinabag,

Well, not exactly midget size but we are all below 5'3

The Ile Saint Louis has a modern thing going(what's with the clear plastic chairs) while the 7th apartment is bigger and is more classic in decor.

Not quite sure if I should go with location or size of apartment yet.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Definitely for location the Ile St. Louis is #1 in my opinion. I would appreciate an elevator, but if not I guess I can do without one just to stay in this area. Is there another choice of apartment you have by any chance?
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Hi Anna,

I have stayed in both areas and definately prefer Ile Saint Louis. It is not noisy or busy. It is very central, which I find very important if you want to go back to the hotel for any reason in the middle of the day or returning late at night. It is very safe and beautiful.

The 7th requires a metro ride to most sites and is not as special.

Stay on the island.

Both apartments look great.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

francophile,

The other apartment is in the 7th with the link attached at the top of this topic, otherwise, no other apartment I liked anything avaliable. The apartment in Ile Saint Louis is on the 4th floor(don't know if this is american 4th floor or european) and has no elevator... not quite sure if this should be a deciding factor yet.

In terms of grocery stores, markets, cafes, restaurants, would one location be superior over the other? Since we are in an apartment, I really would like a grocery store near by - I don't think they have any on the Island do they? Would I need to go to another district for that?

Are things in the 7th more spread out and take a longer time to get to? We are more the do tons of things during the day, and "eat in" at night at the apartment types, so I was just wondering if the Island would be "isolated" from supermarkets, boulangeries, restaurants, etc.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM

Everything is available on the Ile except a large grocery store. There are many excellent restaurants, bakeries, cheese, charcuterie, Bertillion ice cream and I've forgotten then name of the relatively new gelato place, wonderful shops for gifts, flowers, rocks, costume jewelry, art galleries, and so much more. It is a very priviledged area.

We have stayed there numerous times and love it. The only noisy area at night, is on the main street, rue St. Louis, especially when the Brasserie St. Louis closes around 1:00AM.
Small groups of people yelling, talking loud, etc... while walking down the street can keep you awake, but if you are on one of the other streets, especially if your apartment does not front the street, it will be very quiet.

The property on the on the Ile is the most, or one of the most expensive in Paris. The Ile is very safe. It is within easy walking distance to the Left and Right Banks and Pont Marie and Cite Metro stops are just a few minutes away.

Walking around the Ile late at night, gazing at the Seine, and at Notre Dame and the bridges lit up, is the best imagineable way to end another wonderful day in Paris.

WHEN, I win the lottery, the first thing I am going to do, is to buy an apartment there. The Rothchilds have a home there, and if it is good enough for them, it is certainly good enough for me.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:15 AM

Another vote for Ile St Louis. I spent two weeks there and loved it.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:39 AM

I agree. I just returned from a stay at Hotel Deux Iles on the island. My room faced the street and I did not find it noisy. The only noise were the garbage trucks in the am which you will have everywhere.

Amorino is the other ice cream place and along with that and several food shops and at least two butchers and a fois gras shop and several bakeries, you will be fine. If you want a supermarket, there are two on Rue de Rivoli next to the St. Paul metro stop which is only a 10 minute walk maximum.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:01 AM

Hi Anna1013, both Nina and eskrunchy described being on the Ile St. Louis nicely. All three times I've stayed on the island I've had street facing rooms and there is garbage pickup around 6 a.m. or so. But it never bothered me. The same goes for the people in the street walking and talking late at night or early morning. It never was a problem.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:06 AM

"WHEN, I win the lottery, the first thing I am going to do, is to buy an apartment there."

Me too Nina! I read somewhere the Ile St. Louis is one of the most expensive real estate in the world. Must be the Amorino icecream. Mmmm...
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:37 AM

Living on the island is a dream. There's an agency on the island when we were there in 2004. The cheaper apartments went for around 400,000+ euro.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:24 AM

"WHEN, I win the lottery, the first thing I am going to do, is to buy an apartment there." (Ile St Louis)

Me Too! It will a top-floor 3 br, 2 bath, stone fireplace, with lots of large windows looking out over the Seine.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:31 AM

"This apartment is located on the Ile Saint Louis, an island on the river Seine, marking the geographical and historical center of Paris. As one of the most desirable and sought-after neighborhoods in Paris, the area displays an evident and massive parisian charm."

This is not hype. The bedroom is over a courtyard so street noise, if there is any, won't be a problem.

I've stayed nearby and also in the 7th and to me, there is no comparison for location -- this is tops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -