Apartment Location in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have found 2 available apartments in Campo di Fiori. One is on Vicolo Degli Orbitelli and the other one is on Via Degli Specchi. I need 2 apartments for my large group. Any thoughts - if you've read my previous postings you know how challenging this has been to find something suitable.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Can you give a link to those apartments? Those streets aren't on my detailed map of Rome.

What happened to the others you were looking at? As I noted on your other thread,the combination of Montevecchio and Coppelle would have been good, fairly close to each other and in a great location.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

The other apartments I've found that I liked after I found out that the Sangallo Apartment location wasn't so great, are rented already. Because of the national holiday in Italy yesterday, I haven't heard back from some of the rental companies on some of them. Have totally downscaled what I was looking for - will be happy now with a cardboard box under the Interstate
The two I'm looking at now are through Rome Sweet Home which has instant availability. The first one is Guila Fancy #1294, and the other one is Campo di Fiori Elegant #3250. They appear to be in close proximity to one another in Campo.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM

Neither of them is right on Campo de' Fiori, and they are in opposite directions from the Campo. I wouldn't exactly call them close proximity. They're a lot further apart than the Montevechio & Coppelle would have been.

The Orbitelli one is actually just across the bridge from your original ones in Piazza d. Rovere. The Specchi (which I now find on my map) is southeast of Campo de' Fiori. I'm not saying that they're a really long way from each other, but you won't be able to just go out and be at the other one in a few minutes.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM

blondie,

Have I got it right that there are five people in your party, all adults?

Any of these work for you? I don't know a thing about them except they are big and fairly well situated:

http://www.travel-library.com/apartm...na_navona.html

http://www.travel-library.com/apartm...borgo_pio.html

http://www.friendlyrentals.com/en/ap...t-2459-220.htm

http://www.travel-library.com/apartm...me/mimosa.html

http://www.travel-library.com/apartm...nto_rosso.html

http://www.travel-library.com/apartm..._&__c.html

http://www.travel-library.com/apartm...els_house.html

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

I will check these out. There are 6 of us. Four are the kids (20's) and two of us are moms. So I need a double bedroom and another bedroom with twin beds in one apartment for the kids and the other apartment needs 2 bedrooms, any size beds.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

The ones I had mentioned previously are booked. That's the problem with not being able on most websites to instantly book. I find something I like, I wait a day for a reply and they're booked. There are a couple on or around the Via Arenula that are available. Is that a good area and close enough to Campo? They are listed as in the Campo area but I know with several that is kind of misleading because the distance is pretty far if you're walking.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:06 AM

Got this listing from Fodors. Several apartments in the same building and there is an elevator.

http://www.palazzo-olivia.it/index.php

Here's another listing with several apartments. http://www.initaly.com/info/apts/cdfiori/cdfiori.htm

Good luck.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Via Arenula is definitely close to the Campo de' Fiori area. It is a busy street with a tram line so an apartment right on the street could be noisy.
The area to the east of Via Arenula toward the Tiber is the Jewish ghetto which is mostly pedestrian and quiet and very charming. Lots of good restaurants
Via Degli Specchi is just west of this area off Via Arenula. (I am not sure if you were counting this one as around the Via Arenula)

Being as far east as Via Arenula would put you much closer to the Campidoglio and the Forum but of course farther from the Vatican. As I mentioned in another post, there is a #23 bus that runs north along the Tiber and over to the Piazza del Risorgimento near the Vatican
I am sort of losing track of what other areas are still possibly available

As to being right on Campo de' Fiori I would not want to stay there since it would also be noisy.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 05:20 AM

You may consider trying Villa Lituania (i.e., The Lithuanian Villa) in Rome: www.villalituania.com
We booked a triple room for 105 Euros/night (breakfast included) for early September. If I remember correctly, double-rooms are around 85 euros or so. Villa Lituania was recommended to me by a friend. It's on Piazza Asti 25, near Piazza re di Roma Metro stop and Stazione Tuscolana train station (40 min. and 5.5 Euro/per person ride from Leonado da Vinci Fiumicino airport.)
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM

blondipopo,

Hoping this isn't walking you backward, but do you require two kitchens? Wouldn't one apartment plus b&b accommodations work for the group.

My strategy would be to find a one-bedroom apartment for the two moms and a nearby B&B that could take the 4 other adults. If you go with shared bathrooms in the B&B, you could really keep your costs down.

http://www.b-b.rm.it/

Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:26 AM

sorry, i meant a 2-bedroom apartment for the 2 moms.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM

this site is organized by neighborhood

www.romeby.com
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM

I've used vrbo.com frequently and have had no problems with booking apartments. I randomly picked Trastevere but you can key in any neighbourhood. Here is the link http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...zio/rome#10935
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 03:47 AM

zeppole's suggestion of combining B&Bs with an apartment is interesting but I am not sure an apartment plus two B & B rooms would save money over two apartments. Either way, if you are trying to cook meals for everyone in one of the apartments (one of your posts suggested you might) you may find you don't have a big enough table or enough chairs for a sit down meal

Re the B&B idea, I have seen many positive reviews of Arco del Lauro which is in Trastevere near the Isola Tiberina. That would be easy walking distance to the Campo for the young adults in your group and a nice neighborhood
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 04:38 AM

If the two moms are in a two bedroom apartment, there will definitely be tables and chairs enough for six people. It's likely to be the case even in a one bedroom apartment.

Hard to know if it would save money, but it might be a lot less upfront hassle than finding two 2-bedroom apartments near each other.

Also, consider doing this the other way: Put the youngsters in an apartment that sleeps four and use the kitchen there, and put the moms in a nearby bed-breakfast with private baths. Presumably the young adults can more easily double up in a room, but maybe not.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

I am going to take a look at Arco del Lauro. I have found some apartments fairly close together in Campo also. I am trying to keep the costs down for everyone - if that was not a consideration there are some lovely apartments advertised. If we were all one family this would not be a problem. I met the woman I am staying with on a trip to China last year. I was with my Vegas son and she was with her husband. We hit it off immediately. My son told me - she's the Irish version of you. Sarcastic and doesn't eat vegetables (seriously). So we decided to go on a "girls" trip - her husband's already seen Rome. So initially it was going to be just the 2 of us. She warned me she snores really badly and maybe that we might need 2 separate rooms - so that's why the 2 separate sleeping rooms for us. Then my Vegas son who always goes on my trips with me wanted to go so I added his brother from NY so he'd have someone to pal around with. Then the NY brother wanted to bring his girlfriend (that none of us have met yet) because they're pretty serious and she's never been to Rome. Then my Vegas son wanted to bring his best friend so if my NY son was off doing something with his girlfriend that he would have someone to do things with. Yes, I know - ALL of this could have been prevented if I would have told my Vegas son - no - you're not going this time. But he's the baby of the family and you know how that goes especially with a single mom and I doubt he'd ever make it to Rome on his own ---- So 3 of the 6 of us aren't related to each other, most of them have never met each other and I'm trying to give everyone a little privacy with the sleeping arrangements. I also want two apartments because I know who will end up doing the cooking etc. if we stay together and this is a vacation for me. All of my children (3) were here for Xmas and even though I loved having them, I was exhausted when they left from working right before they came, cooking all the time, keeping the house clean etc. I work 2 jobs and when I go on vacation, it's going to be a total vacation. They are all grown and all know how to cook so they can do their own thing and my Irish friend and I will do ours.She said she has no problem with us all staying in the same apartment but I think that's a little too much. I had found the perfect apartment at the beginning of my search - 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, huge living space, terrace, Sat TV, location. Of course - booked. Large apartments are hard to find.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:38 PM

I don't know of you checked them, but we stayed here last Nov: http://www.residenzagiubbonari.com (specifically the red apt). They have a total of 4 apartments in 1 building (all 2 bedroom I think). The place was very clean and well maintained.

Good luck,
Paul
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM

good luck finding a combination of lodging that works. I agree totally you should relax on vacation especially if your kids are adults who asked to come along!

I am sure you will be able to tell about dining space from the apartment websites. All I know is that the 2 BR apartment we rented advertised itself as for 4 people and only had table and chair space for 4
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM

I can highly recommend www.realrome.com and in particular the Cappellari apts. I stayed in the Split B, while friends were in the Split Level right next door. There is also another Studio in the same building. It is very close to the Campo dei Fiori. I just loved this location and the apts. were great. The Split B has a full bedroom upstairs that is private and the sofa downstairs makes into a bed, which is where I slept. In the Split Level next door, there is a double bed upstairs and two single beds downstairs. There is a large dining table in this apt. They might be booked at this late date, but take a look. Good prices too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -