Apartment in Rome - location opinions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I like this apartment but I'm a little apprehensive about traffic noise.

http://www.rome-accommodation.net/ro...coronari.xhtml

Hopefully the Italy experts can advise if via dei coronari is a busy road?

thanks in advance, Cathie
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi cathies,

my recollection, confirmed by the description in your link, is that the via dei Coronari is mainly pedestrian, bar the odd vespa, to whom the traffic laws do not apply of course.

it is a very nice street in a most interesting area - you've got a lift, air-con, and free wi-fi - what more could you want??

I'd be biting their hands off.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:36 AM

I believe the entire street is pedestrian only. However, scooters, residents, delivery vehicles, and others with special permits can drive on the street. I wouldn't expect traffic noise to be a problem, although there can be other sorts of noise (early morning trash collection, scooters, loud pedestrians, emergency vehicle sirens). I think, though, that this would be one of the quieter zones of central Rome.

I like this neighborhood very much, especially at the western end of Via dei Coronari.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 04:26 AM

me too, bvl. a few years ago we rented an apartment in a tiny street just across the via panico, and it was just a joy to walk round and see all the varied shops and businesses in the area - the bakery next to the marble carvers next to the dog groomers next to the hardware shop - if we we ever got bored we just needed to go for a walk round the block.

window shopping/gawping at the antique shops in the via dei Coronari was also a lot of fun. There used to be a great chocolate shop/gelateria along there in a tiny courtyard which was very good. and a restaurant whose name i can't remember at the eastern end which was excellent and reasonably priced.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 04:38 AM

You might like to try a white noise app to use on your phone or ipad and play that at night to drown out any noise. That is what I did in Rome, and it worked great.

I downloaded quite a few white noise apps and my favorite was this one:

http://www.tmsoft.com
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 06:46 AM

On a similar note, rather than starting a new thread, I found an apartment on Lungotevere Marzio, overlooking the river, by Ponte Cavour bridge. Any thoughts on the noise or atmosphere in this location? Also considering closer to Piazza Navona/Pantheon.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 07:56 AM

I like that area also, especially the streets to the north and east, between Piazza di Spagna and Piazza del Popolo. However, there is quite a lot of traffic on the Lungotevere. Many of the buildings are set back from the street.

Have you found reviews for the specific apartment? These should mention noise if it is an issue. I would never rent an apartment that I couldn't find independent reviews for; apartment rentals require much more research than hotels. This is one of the reasons I prefer hotels unless traveling with a family group.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 07:57 AM

There is traffic on the roads along the Tiber - Lungotevere in other words. I would go for the Via dei Coronari, it's a nice area.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM

I'd expect more traffic noise along the Lungotevere Marzio.

I think the Coronari location is pretty ideal.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 09:44 AM

cathies - we stayed about a three minutes' walk from there in 2011, in Piazza del Fico - I'd take that apartment in a heartbeat!! I loved Via dei Coronari.

Bonus points for Gelateria del Teatro being on that street - SO good and the perfect setting.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

I got a bit ahead of myself, I just heard back that it's not available for our dates . I'll keep hunting but thanks for all the replies.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:51 AM

that's a shame, cathies.

perhaps you can find somewhere else in that area?
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi annhig, yes I'll keep looking.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 01:28 PM

cathies- you should also try RentalInRome.com, SleepInItaly.com and VRBO.com. You may be, but just wanted to make sure you are not limiting your field of options.

I haven't used airbnb, but lots of other folks have said good things about it. So, maybe them, too.

Can you tell us a) budget, b)areas you'll consider, c) number of beds you need and d) what time of year are you going?

Perhaps we can contribute more.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM

we are staying at apt 52, managed by the same company cathies. Will be there in a few weeks. It got lots of thumbs up on here.

http://www.rome-accommodation.net/ro...-altemps.xhtml
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

DebitNM, I have enquired about that apartment which is available for our dates, so I'll probably go ahead and book it thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM

I hope it works out for you.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 07:49 PM

cathies,

we are also staying there at the very end of March for a few days.

I like staying in that area.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 02:30 PM

cathies - i don't like the area quite as much as the via dei coronari, but it's not far away, and overall it looks like a good choice.

and you can always choose the via dei coronari for your evening passagiata.
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Annhig, it will be a darn site better than the place I booked last time. I didn't realise what I was doing and it took about an hour each way from where we were to the centre of Rome! Very frustrating. Plus it rained almost every day, so this location will be a treat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -