Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

anyone who has flown BA from N. America overnight in the last few weeks???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there- I recently "heard" something. A person at the luggage store told me that BA is no longer offering blankets & pillows on overnight flights. Well- they are offering them to buy but not to just use for the duration of the flight. Can anyone confirm this or confirm that they DO. I've looked on their website & am unable to info concerning this.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't flown them in the last few weeks - but my guess is that "person at the luggage store" was just trying to sell you a travel blanket/pillow.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:17 AM

I flew them from Orlando back to the UK at the end of March and they were offering blankets and pillows to everyone in PE and regular economy (and of course in biz).
Will this salesperson guarantee a full cash refund if you ARE offered free blankets and pillows on your flight?
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

LOL- ya I was wondering. I didn't buy anything. I was considering buying my own travel pillow anyway as I may not be happy with the one on BA but I thought it its true I will buy one at the airport if the person who checks us in tells us that we won't get blankets or pillows on the plane.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Come now, people. Let's not go so far as to call those flannel, clingy, linty things "blankets."
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Well, Mel that's a pretty big "nappy" then.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:18 AM

I took an eastbound overnight BA transatlantic flight, in cattle class, about April 25.

There was a perfectly (though not luxurious) adequate blanket, modest pillow and tiny amenity kit on every seat (actually, every seat westbound as well as eastbound). The seat headrests also all have those moveable ears that I find as useful (or useless) as a basic airline pillow.

The British press loves nothing more than a "let's bash BA" story, and it's inconceivable any policy change on this in the past two weeks would have gone unreported - and obsessively dissected, and criticised,with questions asked in Parliament

You may safely conclude that the person at the luggage store is a lying toerag, and not to be trusted on anything. In your shoes, I'd report them (the store)to the Better Business Bureau, and avoid ever dealing with them again.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM

Flew both directions in the cattle class within the last ten days BOS-LHR-CDG-LHR-BOS. There were pillows, blankets, toothbrushes, headphones, and little socks for everyone, but you had to return the blankets, pillows, and headphones Your informant was ignorant or disingenuous. Many, many choices of entertainment, and the food was good on the France-UK and UK-US segments, pretty bad on the US-UK.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

alrighty then. I'm not sure if it was the guy or the distributer that sold to the store. The salesclerk at the store told me that he told the distributer that they didn't need to have them in the store because the airlines will supply them. Apparently the distributer told him that none of the airlines are doing that anymore & that people will have to start buying them.

flanneruk- I think your "solution" in dealing with the store is a little harsh. We live in a remote city & people often aren't aware of certain things or changes. As I was the one talking to the guy (& I'm known to be a little bit of a cynic) I honestly think he was just trying to be helpful & he really thought that he was reporting fact. As I said already I think it was probably the distributor. At the most- I will go into the luggage store when I get back & tell them what actually happened on the airline.