Search

Anyone want a french sim card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone want a french sim card?

Hi All

i bought a Frnech sim card for my cell (Motorola) because the phone in our apt didn't work...the phone got fixed so I only made about 2 calls...it's through Bougyes (sp)

If anyone is planning a trip to France soon and would like it , email me at

rad50th at yahoo dot com and send me your snail mail.

the instructions are in french so it'd be best if you can read a bit...

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:19 AM

mztery,
You've got mail!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

taken - Marcy is the lucky winner!

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Thanks!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Rats - I missed out , however, can you tell me about how you bought the sim card - in Paris? Was it your own phone from here? and what type? We are leaving Jan 8 and i really would like to have cell access for a number of reasons. Help.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:25 PM
tod

Nanj - Do not despair, you can get your SimCard Package from any large SNF dealer in Paris. I got mine on the Champs Elysee as I was staying in the area.
Things to remember:
Bring your own phone but before you leave contact your Service Provider and get them to "enable" your phone, This means it can be used in Europe.

When you go to the SNF store - don't be confused with a SNF sign above a little Tabac - They only sell airtime not the package, you will have to take your passport with you. I tried to get them to accept a photocopy but in the end had to walk back to my hotel to get the real thing out of my safe.

Make the shop assistant insert the Simcard and get everything working before you leave.

What I LOVE about Europe & even Australian Simcard Package deals is that you can add more airtime whenever you want by dialling a special code on your phone which I think connects to your credit card.

Best of luck - you will see how easy it is!

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 03:10 AM

tod
Contacting your service provider to get your phone enabled for Europe only applies if you want to use their sim card to roam. If you want to use another sim card, you need to make sure your phone is unlocked, able to take sim card from any provider. Your provider may issue you with unlock code, but they may charge for it. You can usually get it unlocked in a store, and there are plenty of places in France that can do it, but not all phones are unlockable - some need a code which only the manufacturer can generate (usually high-end phones from Nokia or Sony-Ericsson), which must be applied for through your present provider.
If you don't have an unlocked phone or it isn't convenient to get it unlocked, you can buy a cheap phone with sim card as a package in France, from as little as 50 euro.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:56 AM
tod

Thanks Alec - Thats good advice.
In my circumstances I just get given a cellphone by my family and they do all the fiddly bits. All I knew was mine was one that worked in Europe.
As a matter of fact I brought my simcard back as I still have airtime left but it may not be acceptable if I have not used that card for 6 months (I think). This happened before and I had to start all over again by getting a new one.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

In answer to the ques about getting the card -

before i left I called my mobile company (T Mobile) and arranged to have my phone unlocked. They put in the request and a few days later you get a text message with the code and how to use it to unlock the phone. So you need to give it about a week at least. They also said i wouldn't be able to unlock it till I was in Europe with the new SIM which was not true - i unlocked it befrore i left. Its the phonemanufacturer not the t mobile that gives the code which iis why it takes a few days.

Once in paris i went to a phone store and the nice man put in my card, wrote out my phone number and showed me how to use the phone.All the notes ar ein french so if you don't read any french it might be confusing to use it

IT worked fine for a few calls then our apartment phone got fixed so I didn't need it.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM

I hope everyone realizes that cell phone calls in France are a lot more expensive than they are in the US.

SFR calls are 55E (72 cents) per minute.

You can "charge" (buy calling minutes) for your SIM card at the following rates:
10E which expires in 15 days
15E which expires in 30 days
25E expires in 60
35E - 60 days
65E - 90 days
95E - 120 days.

The SIM card will expire 6 months after the last "charge".

We spend 2 months in France most years, and we use our Cingular phone with international roaming (abour $1.29 per min) and two phone cards (local & international) for most of our calls. Phone card calls are very cheap.

Stu Dudley