Anyone used Priceline in London lately?

Mar 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Anyone used Priceline in London lately?

I am familiar with Priceline, Biddingfortravel, Betterbidding but have never used Priceline in Europe before. Looking for a room in London Easter weekend. We are flexible as to area but would like a 4 star hotel that is not too far from a tube station. Would appreciate suggestions on Priceline areas to bid on or to avoid. I am not sure how up-to-date Biddingfortravel's Lists are.
Thanks for any advice.
Mar 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM

You may as well try for Mayfair-Soho, as that's the most central. Next (in my opinion) would be Bloomsbury-Marble Arch. Note that USD winning bids in the last few months have generally been much lower than before, because the pound has depreciated so much against the dollar. However, your dates may or may not be expensive.

Also take a look at Hotwire.

I don't know if it matters for you, but remember that in London, a Priceline room is generally big enough for two people only.
Mar 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM

I got a deal from Priceline for my family for 8 nights at a 4 star hotel in Kensington in mid-June. The price was $1200 per person including airfare and all taxes. I think it was a very good deal.
Mar 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
yk

The BFT list is pretty uptodate. Apart from Mayfair and Bloomsbury, I think Westminster and Kensington zones are also acceptable.
Mar 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Just to clarify -- mnapoli is talking about the regular booking side of PriceLine. PL's "Name your own price" feature is what this thread is mostly about. Totally different animals . . . .
Mar 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM

To my observation, the pinned hotel lists on BiddingforTravel and BetterBidding are as up to day as they can be, based on participants posting their booking results. The administrators are diligent, particularly with adjusting those lists to the frequent changing of the names and borders of areas by Priceline and Hotwire.

I think there are fewer people traveling lately, but also that many people use both these resources, but then do not post their results. One problem is that people often forget to use the links to Priceline and Hotwire from those sites, then do not post their results lest they be admonished by the administrator.
Mar 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I have a related question, if the OP doesn't mind my asking. I'm planning on using Priceline for London in June. I like the Bloomsbury area, as that's where I lived when I was there in college, but at that time, I'd heard the area around King's Cross was a little sketchy, particularly at night. But that was ten years ago, and with the renovations on St Pancras, I'd also heard it was getting better recently. I'll be traveling alone, so I'm a little more sensitive about it than usual. What's the general consensus on that part of the Bloomsbury/Marble Arch zone now (if there is one!)?
Mar 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Kings Cross is MUCH better than it was 10 years ago. But I personally wouldn't stay there simply because it is so busy and congested w/ the 4 train stations etc.

But that is just me personally. (That's why I don't bid for that PL zone since one is more likely to get Kings Cross than Russell Sq)

You can't really beat the area for transport convenience - just not my cup of tea . . . .
Mar 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Janis - thanks for the information! Our flats in college were on Great Russell Street and I loved that area (and the convenience - we walked everywhere!). But if I'm pretty likely to end up with something around Kings Cross rather than the southern end of Bloomsbury, I'll probably try Mayfair/Soho or Westminster first and see what I get. I agree - I'd prefer something just a little quieter.
Mar 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM

susan4 - I got the Tara Copthorne (London 4 star) on a Priceline bid for March 24th-31st. $65/night. This is the second time I've won this hotel on a Kensington 4 star bid. It's very close to Kensington High Street tube, shopping, Hyde Park, etc. Not an exceptional hotel by any means but way more than adequate for the price.

Generally I've found BFT's lists up-to-date.
Mar 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM

You can get a good idea of what is happening by using betterbidding's calendar of wins. Doesn't get much more updated than that.

If you want to support that website also he has links to almost every chain. He is really friendly. I prefer his site over the other, although I like to look at wins on both.

Also, I have stayed in Kensington three times, once at Olympia Hilton and twice at Tara Copthorne. The Hilton has a couple buses at the door. One actually from Victoria station !
Mar 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input. The reason I was afraid that the lists might not be up-to-date is that the reviews all seem to be several years old. Maybe just the hotels I checked.

djkbooks, I think you are right about why people don't post. I am pretty diligent about posting but don't if I forget to use the
A-B link. LOL

Someone just won the Hilton London Olympia and that looks a little far out for me so I think I will keep bidding Mayfair-Soho or else go non-Priceline. There are a lot of good deals out there.
Mar 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM

The Olympia Hilton is fine. Not far out really at all. Not the MOST central of course - but at $65 or $66 - what a bargain! There are several bus lines immediately outside the hotel and they will whisk you down Kens High Street in no time at all. So go ahead and bid Mayfair, but if you are unsuccessful, you can bid Knighstbridge/South Kensington/Earls Court w/o worrying too much about getting the "wrong" hotel
Mar 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM

The Hilton is just fine. believe me. I wrote a review about it at betterbidding probably. The buses in front are great, plus there are a few restaurants nearby that were full of locals. It WOULD be a little walk to go to the Olympia tube, though.

It was very easy to get taxis there, too. I would not be upset to get that hotel again. I have never received anything in Mayfair as I was always denied at my bidding level. Good luck!
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:09 AM

You should try these websites for good value hotels all over the UK and some of mainland Europe:

www.lastminute.com
www.laterooms.com
Mar 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

I need a room for April 9-12, Easter weekend. I found some good deals at business hotels, so decided to book directly. Staying at the Hilton London Tower Bridge, ranked #14 on TripAdvisor, and usually selling for up to $300. We got a room and Breakfast for 99 Pounds prepaid. Not as cheap as Priceline perhaps, but, with the great exchange rate, a very good deal.
Mar 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM
rex

The calendar of wins on betterbidding.com is only for US properties, right? Your preference, lincasanova... for "his" site (over "the other one" - - Sheryl's at BFT is what you mean, presumably)...

...is that really true for London (or anywhere else in Europe?)

Seems like very similar experience (quantity of reports and detail on bidding strategy) on both boards for 5* London which, as far as I can tell... is running almost entirely Grosvenor House (Marriott) about 60-70% of the reports - - or Hilton at Park Lane for the remainder.

Best wishes,

Rex
Mar 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM

On the BetterBidding calendar of wins, Other Countries-Hotwire and Other Countries-Priceline can be selected on the alphabetical drop-down list.
Mar 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Yes, Rex, I find betterbidding more friendly, and do look at wins on both. Also, betterbidding has the Hotwire wins also. I am not sure if BFT does.

I have to admit I did not realize the calendar was only for the U.S. Sorry.
Mar 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
rex

Ok thanks, djk... clearly I did not look carefully enough - - to catch the fact that I had to look for England under "O" (Other countries). Very odd.

Thanks for the tip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO