Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stay at The Carlton in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:08 PM
Jamila

I will be staying at The Carlton in Edinburgh in March. Has anyone stayed there? Any comments on the hotel? Seems like a great location.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:10 PM
Sheila

Been to wedding there. It is a good location. Slightly faded grandeur, but very pleasant

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:36 AM
Jenny

I take it this is the one on North Bridge - formerly the Carlton Highland Hotel. It's recently (in the past year) undergone quite a facelift, and whilst I don't know what the bedrooms are like, I've been to a function there, and it was certainly a lot nicer than it used to be. (Was rather shabby decor-wise a few years ago...) However, I would say that I'd avoid drinking too much in the hotel bar, purely because of the rather steep (even for Edinburgh) prices!<BR><BR>Hope that helps somewhat,<BR>Jenny

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Pauline

Stayed there in August 2000, while on a coach tour.<BR>Had a spacious single room, overlooking North Bridge. Very noisy but that was to be expected as the Edinburgh Festival was on. Good location, maybe 100 metres from the Royal Mile and about 3 or 4 blocks down from the Edinburgh Castle. They were just starting renovations then.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:14 AM
andrew

Stayed there for a weekend in November 2001. It has obviously been done up quite recently with a nice marbled reception area with sweeping staircases going up to the bar and restaurant area. Rooms are quite spacious and the Scottish breakfast was good. As other posters have mentioned the position is fantastic - you are almost on the Royal Mile and halfway between the Castle and Holyrood Palace. You are also a short walk to Princes Street the main shopping area. The hotel also has a health spa attached and small swimming pool so don't forget a swimming costume!<BR><BR>Enjoy Edinburgh it's a great city<BR>Andrew

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Barbara

I stayed there with my three children over Christmas 2000. At that time, they were in the middle of the huge renovation. I found the staff who were there at that time to be very friendly and helpful. The location, as others have said, is very convenient for most things you will want to visit. The pool was small, but warm. There is a back entrance to the hotel right across the road from the train station and the parking lot the hotel recommends you use. Have a great time in Edinburgh!<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:48 AM
JamilaZ

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I booked it.