Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know...What's an "appropriate" student ID for London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 02:22 PM
sue smith

I'm hearing different stories about what's an "appropriate" student ID for general purpose siteseeing and such in London. Some sources say an official school issued ID is fine, and some say an international student ID is mandatory. Anyone know?

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 06:45 AM
Fiona

I'm British and I know from experience it varies from place to place. An international ID card is probably the best bet but I've heard it's very difficult to get discounts with ISIC in Britain. Some places will only accept cards that say NUS (National Union of Students) which international cards don't.

Old Mar 4th, 1998, 05:26 PM
Dawn Krivutza

I was recently in London and just used my regular college ID and got discounts everywhere I tried to. I was happy I didn't pay $20 for the one from Council Travel (the international student ID) What kind of things are you trying to get a discount for? I did basic sight seeing stuff

Old Mar 5th, 1998, 05:12 AM
Holly

Dawn, What did your student id work on? I have a regular student id, but was contemplating getting the ISIC card from Council. Can you let me know what you saw with your student id? Thanks!

Old Mar 9th, 1998, 12:48 PM
sue

Hi-
Thank you for the responses! I am planning to do the "normal" sightseeing in London, nothing too out of the ordinary and won't worry now about purchasing an Int'l student ID.

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 04:24 AM
Dawn Krivutza

I went to the tower of London, did an Original London Walk, went to the dungeons and I don't really remember anything else in London but I know I used it in Bath and saved money on my ferry to Wales and in all of the castles in Ireland. My ID doesn't have a date or anything on it and they did not seem to care.