Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know exact date Seville La Feria begins?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that the exact date La Feria will begin was decided by town officials in December, but some sites say it begins April 20 and some sites say it begins April 28 until May 3.

Does anyone have the official date?

I'm trying to book travel and hotels to coincide with the beginning of the Fair. Would hate to arrive the day after the Fair is over!

Thanks in advance Fodorites
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM

It's now official. April 28-May 3.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

MARIBEL !! Hola

I have just been reading many of your posts in answer to questions about Spain. So I'm considering myself lucky to have you answer the question.

Many of the posts mention your "guide" to Seville or Spain but
no URL is given. Can you tell me where it is ?

I will be taking a cruise from the States and getting off at Cadiz on the 27th of April before the cruise is finished in order to go directly to Seville and La Feria for two days ( I saw La Feria once for about an hour 2 years ago and have always wanted to go back).

I thought to take about 5-6 days to see Seville, Cadiz, Gibraltar, and the Alhambra at Granada. I'd also like to fit in the Costa del Sol (maybe Marbella) and Cordoba, and I'll be missing Malaga by getting off the boat early.

I will be traveling by bus or train so If you have any suggestions of how I should schedule geographically or otherwise, I'd be glad to hear them.

Many thanks

M.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 03:29 AM

The famous Maribelsguides:
http://www.maribelsguides.com/
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Revulgo.

I'm in an itinerary quandary.

I'll be arriving at Cadiz,

but should I stay at Cadiz?

and make it my home base?

to see Gibraltar, Jerez, 2 days in Seville but I also want to go to
Granada, Alhambra, Costa del Sol Marbella?, and Cordoba.

So the question is: should I make Cadiz a home base and travel by bus and train to the other cities?

Or should I book hotels in Seville and Granada?

I'll be traveling by bus and train, not renting a car - dont like driving on unknown roads in Europe.

Lastly I'll be flying home to Florida, and I'm wondering if Malaga is a major hub for air, or should I go back to Charles De Gaulle from Granada to fly home to the states?

I sure do need a lot of help
thanks to all in advance.

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Mahya-
I think 5-6 days for Cadiz, Sevilla, Gibralter and Granada is way too much....particularly when you're relying on public transportation. I'd skip Gibralter and do Cadiz, Sevilla and Granada.

Cadiz is probably my favorite city in Spain but it is a long day trip (at least for me) to Sevilla - 2 hours one way by bus or train. I'd opt for a night in Cadiz (I am a little biased ), 3 in Sevilla and 2 in Granada. You'll be bumping against the Crosses of May (Cruces de Mayo) festival in Granada. In fact, I just posted to see if it is limited to May 3rd or starts a few days before.

Malaga isn't a major hub for airfare to the US. The only carrier I'm aware of that goes direct from Malaga to the US is Delta. They have a JFK to Malaga flight.

I travel to Andalucia every spring and spend a couple of weeks there solo and relying on public transportation. If you're sticking to Cadiz, Sevilla, Granada you won't have issues with bus or train frequency. Once you have your specifics I can get you the websites for buses. The website for renfe (the train) is:

http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html

You can purchase your train tickets in advance directly from the website.

I'm actually finalizing my itinerary and I think I'll be in Cadiz April 27 then heading to Sevilla on April 28 for 3 nights and then on to Granada. So, we'll be probably running into each other!

Maribel is the guru of travel in Spain! Definately print out her guides - they are my bible when I travel.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Ditto to what CathyM has very wisely told you-take it from her voice of great experience.
I agree completely with her and strongly urge you to limit your itinerary to Cádiz, Sevilla and Granada.

CathyM,
An email is on its way, long, long overdue!
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Cathy M and Maribel,

thank you very much.

I will have from the 27th of April until May 5th (at the latest when I must fly home) so actually I would have 8 full days to visit.

I got the idea of visiting Jerez and the Horse show from reading some of Maribel's answers to others - and I thought I would spend at least 1/2 day siteseeing Gibraltar - I don't know why but it's a place I've always wanted to visit.

And also Cordoba sounds very very interesting.

Does the fact that I have 8 days make enough time to fit in those others at least for day trips?

Cathy, I'm glad to hear you will be in Cadiz and Seville at the same time - maybe we could get together for a lunch or dinner?

As a matter of fact I'm wondering if there are going to be a bunch of Fodorites visiting for La Feria. Fodorites had a wonderful time getting together in Paris for a GTG and putting names to faces, exchanging info and maybe whichever Fodorites are in Seville for La Feria could have a similar GTG . It would be great fun.
maybe we could have a GTG?
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

I see that I may be hitting major holidays in Spain and Europe besides the festivals.

Does't everything close down for May Day on Friday May 1st ?

Is it a banker's holiday or something?

And then Tuesday, 5th of May, Cinco di Mayo - isn't that a big holiday also ? Does everthing close down for Cinco di Mayo?

That would be the day I would be trying to make plane connections!
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Cathy M

It just occurred to me, since you visit at this time of year often, you would know:
what "weight" clothing should I bring?

Considering I live in Florida and we wear the lightest weight possible, and also that if the temp falls to 70 F. we put heavy sweaters on ?
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM

Mahya2-
With 8 days to visit I'd still think you're trying to fit in too much. Depending on the timing of your flight on May 3rd you'll also likely have to spend your final night in Madrid so this would cut out some time in Andalucia. I'd budget at least 3 days for Sevilla particularly if you've never been and it is feria. You could do Cordoba as an easy daytrip from Sevilla but then I'd budget 4 days for Sevilla. For Granada a minimum of 2 days and perhaps even 3 if you'll be there for the Day of the Cross festival. Jerez is an easy daytrip from Cadiz or Sevilla if you're interested in visiting the sherry bodegas or seeing the horses. It's actually an easy stop between Cadiz and Sevilla. I'm just not sure if you can store luggage at the bus or train terminals. If this option interests you just let me know and I can email a friend who works in Jerez to confirm. Have you also considered El Puerto de Santa Maria as a daytrip from Cadiz? If you're absolutely dying to visit Gibralter I think you'd have to skip Cadiz and go directly there from Cadiz (per my book there are about 10 daily buses to Algeciras that take a little over 2 hours one way). Personally I just don't think Gibralter is worth skipping time in Sevilla, Granada or Cadiz. It's a little out of the way compared to the other locations you want to visit also. But if it's a place you've always wanted to visit, then it's your trip and you need to be comfortable with your decision

I wouldn't worry too much about the May 1 holiday. Bus schedules may be more limited if this is going to be a travel day for you. Some attractions may be closed along with some shops. But life won't come to a stand still. I generally just ask at the tourist office once I arrive which sights will be limited to see on the holiday and also verify at the bus station the schedule during a holiday. It's also likely you'll have to follow the bus timetable for festivals in Sevilla as it will be during the feria when you visit. I found this out the hard way when I planned to take a daytrip to Ecija from Sevilla during Semana Santa. I didn't read the schedule for festivals and missed the bus I had intented to take! So, now I always verify - particularly if I have my lugggage and am moving cities that day.

Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday commemorating victory over French forces. I don't think they'd celebrate this much in Spain In fact, according to wikipedia it's celebrated more in California than it is in Mexico.....strange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

As far as clothing I'm not 100% sure as I've never visited this late in the Spring. My hunch is it may be quite warm in Sevilla but cooler in Granada. I'd check the weather a couple weeks before to verify the forecast. I generally bring a mix of short sleeves and light long sleeves, a medium weight jacket and a light sweater. However, since I am a habitual overpacker I rarely have the issue with not bringing the correct attire.

Yes - let's get together for tapas or lunch/dinner where our itineraries match. If you are a member of tripadvisor my username is CathyDM. You can send me a private message and we can chat further.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM

Hello. If you have not already got accomodations in Seville, you may find it very difficult and definitely expensive. The premium for accomodations in cities like Seville or Jerez, during ferias, is very steep. And people generally book almost a year in advance. If you are going to be in Cádiz, you might want to consider making Jerez your home base. It is a great city with lots of attractions. It is less than an hour to Seville on train or bus, is about 15 minutes to some great beaches and also very close to the charming pueblos blancos. Unlike the ferias of other cities, the feria in Seville is much more exclusive, and most of the "casetas" are not open to the public. So, if you make the feria the focus of your visit, you may be disappointed. If you would like some suggestions on where to stay in Jerez, feel free to contact me. Good luck.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Okay dokey Cathy. It's a deal. Wherever we meet up - and I'll try to reach you on Trip Ad.

I think I'll be spending 2-3 nights at Cadiz as a base before moving on - haven't made up my mind yet whether I'll use it as a base and travel to Seville by train daily because I haven't checked out availability of hotels in Seville yet after I'm through with Cadiz.

Has anyone stayed at either Hotel Argantonio (which seems to be more central to sites and train) or at Hotel Barcelo Cadiz?

Both have good reviews, but Argantonio seems to be closer to the
train and the sites.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM

Mahya2-
I've never stayed at the Hotel Argantonio but it's been on my radar the last couple of years. It's just down the road from the street from the Hospederia las Cortez de Cadiz. I generally at the Hospederia Las Cortes de Cadiz since I visit during Semana Santa and snag a room overlooking the calle San Francisco where many processionals pass. I like the location of hte Hospederia Las Cortes and the rooms are nice as long as you request a room with a balcony or exterior window. Many of the rooms only have a window above the door that opens into central atrium - it can feel claustrophoc. I stopped into the Hotel Argantonio last April to check it out. The lobby looked very nice and the reception was friendly. This is exactly where I plan on spending a couple of nights on my spring trip! Another plus is it's near the bus stop so I don't have to worry about getting a taxi to the hotel. The train station is a little further away but easily doable by foot. I've never stayed at the Hotel Barcelo Cadiz as it's outside of the old town and I prefer the old town. I doubt you could walk to the old town from the Hotel Barcelo Cadiz but there are frequent buses. I've also stayed at the Parador (Hotel Atlantico). It's OK but is a modern parador and is on the beach in the old town - but a little far from the old town center. The Senator is another old town option. It's also just off calle San Francisco. It's only a couple of years old and has all the services, but lacks some charm - I prefer the more "boutique" hotels. For a budget option in the old town there's Hostal Bahia. I like the look of the Hostal Bahia over the Hotel Centro Sol, which is fine for a college age person.

I think it will be difficult to use Cadiz as a base to visit Sevilla especially during the feria. Bus or train are both 2 hours one way so that's 4 hours or travel in one day. Also, from what I understand, the Feria can go very late into the evening so you'd have to worry about getting back to Cadiz. I prefer traveling by bus between Cadiz and Sevilla simply because the bus station in Sevilla (from Cadiz), Prado San Sebastian, is near most hotels in the old quarter of Sevilla so it's not even necessary to get a taxi (particularly with the new tram service in the center).

If you decide to stay in Sevilla for the Feria the prices will be at a premium but is still very possible to get a room. You will need to book very soon though!!! If you decide to stay in Sevilla and have trouble finding a room let me know and I can throw out some suggestions.

It will be great to meet up with you It will probably have to be in Sevilla or even Granada depending on how you plan your days. I'm arriving in Cadiz Sat, April 25 and leaving the morning of the 27th. I'll be in Sevilla and Granada after Cadiz but may spend a night in Sanlucar before going to Sevilla...still working on this one decision.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Cathy,

Thanks for all your help
Taking your advice I'm booking early
and have e amiled you on Adisor.
Two nights in Cadiz -

Now I'm starting to look for hotel in
Seville - and I thought the Santa Cruz area seems to be most recommended.

Like you, I'm still working on my itinerary - which makes it difficult to guestimate hotel arrivals and departures ( :
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Hi Mahya2

We were in Seville a few years ago at the time of Feria and enjoyed every minute if it.

We stayed at Hotel Montecarlo in the town centre, along a small quiet street. Very good rates too and I can recommend it. We booked it 4 months in advance, if that helps.

The weather was hot when we visited at the end of April.

I did a trip report which you can find if you click my name and scroll down. It's called 'Potatoes in Spain (2) - an Adalucian trip report'. Stupid title, but it will make some sense if you scroll further down and find the original 'Potatoes' thread. LOL

Have a great time.

joe
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Joe,

heading over to your trip report now.

M.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Cathy ,

I've sent you my itinerary on trip ad....

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

CATHYM

Hi Cathy,

I've been emailing you on the other site but seem to have lost you somewhere along the way.

I just realized that I made hotel reservations for the wrong dates and will have to change them. For some reason I thought I would arrive in Cadiz on April 29 but in fact it is April 27.

So I plan to be in Cadiz on the 27 & 28.
Seville on the 29,, 30 and May 1
Granada May 2,3,4

and leave either for Malaga or Paris on May 5 - but I'm having trouble figuring out and findng travel from Granada to Paris or Granada to Malaga to Paris -

the problem is the plane from Malaga to Paris leaves at 7 AM in the mornig, so figuring I would at least have to be at the airport at 5 or 5:30 AM - it seems to me I'd have to leave by bus or train from Granada on the evening of the 4th......wondering how late the buses or trains leave Granada for Malaga ? Do you know.?

There is no working website for Alsina Gralis.)

I have booked the other two hotels in Cadiz and Seville but not the one in Granada yet,,,,am looking at The Guadalupe across from Generalife..

Have you made your itinerary yet ? Please let me know if we'll be in the same city at the same time
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Mayha,
You can see the Granada-Málaga bus schedule here-
http://tinyurl.com/5mczre

The Alsina Graells Sur buses are part of Alsa. www.alsa.es

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -