Reload this Page >

Anyone know Champagne?

Search

Anyone know Champagne?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:19 AM
dave

Anyone know Champagne?

We would like to take a day trip into Champagne (from Paris); which would be better - Reims or Epernay? We will not have a car, so from the train station we will need to get around on foot or by taxi... Any advice appreciated...

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:34 AM
peggy

My husband and I took a day trip to Epernay by train from Paris a few months ago. The trip was about 1 hr. 15 min. It was easy getting around Epernay on foot, and there are some horse & carriage tours available. We had called ahead to Moet et Chandon to reserve a place on their tour, which was interesting, followed by a tasting. Laurent et Perrier is up the street and also requires reservations. There are several smaller wineries where you can do walk-in tasting. I haven't been to Reims, so I can't compare, but Epernay was an easy and fun trip.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Lori

We've been to Reims twice, once a day trip from paris, and the other spending 2 nights there. We have toured Pommery, Roederer (need an introduction from someone in the business so forget it unless you know someone), Veuve Clicquot (need a reservation), Piper Heidsick, and Mumm. In Epernay we have toured Moet and Perrier Jouet (think we like champagne. Of all the houses I liked Roederer the best, but Pommery is your best bet. I also preferred Reims over Eperney, the cathedral is gorgeous and worth the trip. My suggestion - take the train to Reims, go to Pommery and the cathedral, have lunch at the pedestrian section of town.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Georgine

We also have been to both Reims and Epernay and having to pick just one for a day trip --I would also vote for Reims. <BR> <BR>Epernay is really a "champagne" only experience, while Reims has much more to offer beyond the tastings/tours. <BR> <BR>I agree wholeheartedly wtih Lori's suggestions on how to spend a lovely day in Reims.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 10:53 AM
StCirq

I'd pick Reims over Epernay because there is so much more to see and do: the cathedral, museums, the Salle de Reddition where the Germans' surrender was taken in 1945, the Basilique St-Remi....but if the trip is purely for purposes of learning about the méthode champenoise and tasting champagne, it doesn't really matter (unless you have a favorite champagne).

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Beth

How far is Reims from Paris? And what champagne "makers" are there?