Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about Ponza, Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know anything about Ponza, Italy? I have seen pictures that look beautiful. Does anyone know where its located? I know it is an island somewhat in between Naples and Rome but haven't found a map that has it on it! I am planning a honeymoon in Italy and this seems like it might be a beautiful spot for a day trip or something.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:28 AM

I was in Ponza two years ago. Very interesting island, but not lush in any way. Stark brown and white cliffs and limited vegetation but lovely. It's about halfway between Rome and Naples. You can reach it by hydrofoil from Anzio, Formia and Naples but the closest would be from San Felice di Circeo. The boat takes about 55 minutes from San Felice. It's not the easiest place to take a daytrip to unless you are based in San Felice.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 03:27 PM

there was a website back in 2000 that listed a couple hotels on the island. but I am not sure it still exists
www.atenatour.it
We were staying in Formia and had thought of a daytrip there, but it never worked out.

Procida is a lovely small island that is easier to get to from Naples. I spent 4 days there a couple yrs ago.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:28 AM

Here are a couple of links you might find useful:

http://www.ponza.it/fotografie/11.asp

http://www.ponza.com/eng/index.htm

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:46 AM

There are ferries in summer from Anzio, which can be reached by train from Roma, and all year from Formia which is on the main line from Roma to Napoli. Both are attractive towns to stay and it's possible to do a day trip from either (see www.caremar.it). There are other services from Terracina (www.snapnavigazione.it) and San Felice (http://www.circeoprimo.it/pontinanav...avigazione.htm).
Further south is Ventotene, which is even smaller, but has daily ferries from Formia. Both islands attract many Italian visitors, but few foreigners seem to go there - they all go to Capri then complain that it's crowded with foreign tourists.