Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone have advice about Winchester, England?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Veruca

I will be in London early Fall and am trying to choose a few side trips. I've already decided on Bath. Is Winchester a good choice? Any recommendations on where to stay? I'm not at all interested in Stratford, Oxford or Cambridge. Anyplace else you'd recommend? <BR> <BR>Ta very much!

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 11:45 AM
herb

We spent a day (2 nights) in Winchester in July '98. Having just arrived from Paris we intended to spend the night and then move on to Bath in the morning. (We had rented a car at Heathrow.) <BR>I'm not sure why but we enjoyed Winchester so much that we stayed another night. We enjoyed walking around the narrow streets and along the river looking at the lovely gardens. There is of course Winchester Cathedral and several other old and historic sights. The people were very friendly and didn't seem to mind spending a little time explaining things and giving directions. We stayed at the Wickham Arms (I'm not sure of the spelling) a lovely B&B above a great pub. I would highly recommend it. <BR>My wife and I both agree that this day was the best of our trip. Maybe just because there were fewer tourists and lots of peace and quiet.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 12:21 PM
Jan

I lve about 8 miles from Winchester and would agree its a good place for a side trip. The Wykeham Arms is indeed a great pub and I would also recommend it. Also visit the Winchester City Mill run by the National Trust its an 18th century watermill complete with renovated waterwheel.If you like gardens Hilliers Arboretum is about 6 miles away and also nearby is Hinton Ampner a NT property. You might also like to consider Salisbury for another side trip, more quaint buildings a wonderful Cathederal and plenty of pubs and hotels to choose from and not forgetting an excellent Playhouse if you are into the theatre.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 02:15 PM
Patrick

Jan, you sound like the expert. In a couple of weeks we will be leaving the Isle of Wight where we will spend a few days with friends and rent a car in Portsmouth. We have all day after leaving the Isle to explore before spending the night near Heathrow for an early next day departure. We had planned on visiting Winchester that day, which sounds great. Any other spots we shouldn't miss along the way from Portsmouth to Heathrow?

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 12:04 AM
Jan

Patrick, I would consider visiting the Maritime Museum in Portsmouth itself if that is not already on your itinerary, you could easily spend a day there, but even half a day would give you a good flavour of the place. From there take the M27/M3 to Winchester you could perhaps plan to lunch at the Wykeham Arms its worth searching out. The tourist office is near the Guildhall at the 'bottom end' of town opposite the statue of King Alfred,visit the Cathederal and the Cathederal Close, you could easily spend a half day looking round. It can be difficult to park in Winchester I would take junction 10 or 9 off the M3 and try and park at the northern (or bottom end), of the city avoiding the one way system. If you had more time I would also recommend Hilliers Arboritum near Romsey, (about 8 miles from Winchester),the end of May is a great time as the Azelias and Rhodedendrons (sp?) will be in bloom also The Vyne a NT property just north of Basingstoke its a lovely old 16C house in very attractive grounds open daily from 11-6 except Monday and Friday. I hope this helps a bit if you need any more info. feel free to email me and I will try to help.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Patrick

Thanks, I think I have more than a day's worth there!!! Looking forward to it.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 07:26 AM
Veruca

The Wykeham Arms says it can't accomodate us (something bizarre about not having a license for under 14-year-olds?). Does anyone have any other suggestions for a good hotel in Winchester? One that will allow a 12-year-old? Anyone ever stayed at the Wessex Hotel?

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 08:30 AM
A Local

Try the Royal Hotel (www.the-royal.com) or Hotel du Vin (www.hotelduvin.com). These are both mid-range places with good food and in the city centre. <BR> <BR>Winchester is a very pleasant place with lots to see and do in the area. Let me know if you need more info.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Veruca

Thanks Local! <BR> <BR>The Royal Hotel looks just perfect. I've sent them an enquiry, I hope we can stay there. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions for pubs in the area? We'll be there on my sister's birthday. Do you know of anyplace fun we could take her (it's on a Saturday)? What about a good bakery where we could order a birthday cake? I'm trying to think of something to surprise her. Her 40th was a bore last year, want to make this one better. Unfortunately, we'll all be suffering jet-lag that day. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 03:29 AM
A Local

Pubs: The Wykeham Arms would be a good choice, but (as previously mentioned) they won't admit under 14's. These licencing laws are quite common for town centre pubs, and are strictly enforced. There are cafe's/restaurants in the centre of Winchester, but if you prefer a good family pub and don't mind a short drive through the countryside (and it is beautiful here) try: <BR> <BR>The Fox Inn at Bramdean (10m E of Winchester on the A272) <BR> <BR>The Red House Inn at Whitchurch (15m N of Winchester on A34) <BR> <BR>Can't help with bakeries I'm afraid.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Veruca

Thank you again for the help. If you don't mind my asking another question: why are children under 14 not allowed in pubs? The drinking age is 18, isn't it? Why are 14-17 year olds allowed in? <BR> <BR>Also, do they check ID at the door at pubs? At the bar? Do I need to bring my passport with me as ID? Or will they accept my US drivers license? Will my 17 year old nephew be able to sneak in? As you can see, I have no regard for drinking laws. I sneak my nephew into bars here all the time. Will he be stuck in the hotel with grandma while we're at pubs?

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 09:01 AM
mark

Hi ........ <BR> <BR>14-17 year olds are allowed in pubs, as long as there is a separate area away from the bar .... ie if they are coming in for a meal. Children under 14 are allowed in IF they are having a meal & there is a separate eating area ... also the pub needs to have a license for children. <BR> <BR>As to a 17 year old coming into a bar ... well does he look over 17 ??? If so you'll more than likely get away with it ... just get his drinks ... <BR> <BR>As to you needing id ... well no unless you look under 18 !!! <BR> <BR>To : Veruca ([email protected]) ... I live near Winchester (10 miles south), so could look in my local yellow pages for bakery's ... e-mail direct if interested .... <BR> <BR>Mark