Anyone going to Denmark this summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone else was going to be spending their vacation in Denmark this summer.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Hi Katharine,
My family will be spending part (2 weeks) of our vacation in Denmark. We will be visiting with family mostly and generally seeing as much of the country as possible. We leave next Tuesday!!
Hope you enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Oh yes! -- very late summer though (last two weeks). Eight days in København w/excursions to other parts of Zealand, Jutland and Skåne region of Sweden. Will also spend at least a couple of days in my beloved Amsterdam and am also currently looking into a 2-day[-ish] getaway to another locale (Dublin?, Prague?, Berlin? ...) via a low-cost airline from Copenhagen. I'm psyched!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Well, I am sure the three of us will greatly enjoy our trips, although my friend there described the weather as "cold and rainy". We are leaving in a week and a half on this trip that I have been planning for over a year! It is amazing that it is almost here! We're going to be based in Jutland, seeing the sights and old friends. Hope you both have a "god turen" (please excuse my forgotten dansk)!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 01:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
My daughter is spending the summer at a study program in Copenhagen, so my husband and other daughter and I will be going there. Leaving next week, stopping in London for four nights, then flying to Denmark.

We'll spend two nights in a bed and breakfast in Tisvildeleje, drive to Sweden for a night in Lund, then three nights in Copenhagen over the weekend when my daughter will have time to visit with us.

I've been hearing it's cold and rainy also. Hoping the weather improves in the next week.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:22 AM

I'm leaving for Copenhagen on the 24th of August and that seems like years from now. I had been traveling to Denmark for my company about 4 times a year and last year they sold off the business that required me to visit so often.

I haven't been paying any attention to the weather there, but in the last 10 years my experience has been that the mornings tend to be clear, it clouds up by 2 or 3 in the afternoon, rains, and by the evening it's clear again. I don't know that this is necessarily a predictable weather pattern for the area, though.

I can remember several weeks in July and August (which are on average the warmest months) when the temp was in the 70s and the skies were clear for most of the day. I also remember June and September being in the high 40s and 50s in the evening.

I can't wait.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM

For those of you not staying with family, may I ask what hotel you've chosen and why? I'm planning a trip to Copenhagen and am starting to gather as much info as possible. Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
We're staying at the Copenhagen Marriott. The weekend rate was the best rate I found for a hotel room big enough for the three of us.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:26 PM
mayorl

I'm writing this from my hotel room in Denmark. We just got in late this afternoon, and are staying at the DGI-Byens hotel across from the Central Station. Our room sleeps 3, and gives free access to their complex of pools, which we thought would go over well with the kids. The room has free DSL, so it makes it easy to check email (I logged on to look for sightseeing tips).

It's a little chilly tonight (about 50 degrees), although clear. There's a big rock concert on at Roskilde this weekend, so the train station area was filled with college kids.

I'm looking forward to sightseeing tomorrow - we are here only til Sunday evening....

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM

We're starting off our Scandinavian adventure in Copenhagen for 3 nights. Staying at the Copenhagen Strand Hotel- got a great rate by emailing directly and asking for their best rate, much better than those listed. Last time I was in Copenhagen was in '71...looking forward to seeing it through more mature eyes - much more mature Thanks to the many tips I received here I planned what I hope to be a terrific adventure.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:40 PM
lpm

Mayorl,

Could you report back on that pool at the DGI-Byens complex? Particularly, the potential for serious lap swimming? I'll be in Copenhagen at the end of August for several days and don't want to miss my daily lap "fix". The DGI-Byens pool appears to be the only central Copenhagen pool, but it's unclear (from the web site) that it's approporiate for lap swimming.

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 04:50 PM

Katharine22: We are heading to Copenhagen in late-August in anticipation of a Baltic cruise which departs from, and returns to, Copenhagen. Will be there for four nights and are staying at the Hotel First Vesterbro (on Vesterbrogade, near the Central Station) which I booked, at a pretty good (for Scandinavia) prepaid rate, through the hotelsdenmark.com website. This will be a first trip for us to Denmark and we are really looking forward to it. We've been working on planning our sightseeing itineraries and also really hope to find bicycles with which to do some additional exploring while we are there. Can't wait!
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
mayorl

LPM, there is an elliptical pool at the DGI complex - just like a running track. It is used almost exclusively by lap swimmers - it surrounds a rectangular pool used by kids, but they don't venture out....

Hope that helps....

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:19 AM
lpm

Thanks, Mayorl! It actually sounds quite practical. A novel experience, but, hey, thats why we travel, isn't it?

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:19 PM

i'll be heading there in about a month for 2 weeks! it's my first solo trip overseas and i'll be celebrating my 30th birthday there. i'll be visiting copenhagen and skagen. i've also made plans to meet up with a bicycle tour group. totally looking forward to it!!