Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with Inter Continental Hotel (Istanbul)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 09:18 AM
mudpie

I'm sure this is a nice hotel but I want to know if it's in a good location for two nights in Istanbul...are sites, restaurants near by? Thanks.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Lesley

I refuse to start Dear Mudpie (oops) <BR>Is this the same hotel as the Ceylan Inter Continental? If so it's a modern hotel in Taksim. (I haven't stayed there). Taksim is in the modern part of Istanbul (a bit boring I thought) so, yes, there are restaurants nearby, but the major sights are in the old parts (Sultanahmet and Laleli). We stayed in a traditional Ottoman house which had been converted into a pension in Sultanahmet. When the coach from the airport deposited us, I got a bit of a shock because this is a really poor area of Istanbul, but we were assured it was quite safe and it was. We walked around at night (in the snow!) and felt perfectly safe. However, for me, staying in a city which is so different from what I am used to, I think I would want somewhere with all mod cons that I can retire to at night. When I go again, I will stay at the Merit Antique which will provide this haven of familiarity with a location near the sites. It's almost opposite the Grand Bazaar (Kapali Carsi).

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 01:20 PM
mudpie

Yes, this is Ceylan Intercontinental Hotel...

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Patrick

I agree with the above. It's not where I'd want to be in Istanbul -- just the modern part of the city with little of the "true" Istanbul feel. If you really want a delux hotel, your best bet is the Four Seasons in the old city, actually an old Turkish Prison with lots of atmosphere and walking distance to the main "old" attractions. Personally I like the old Ottoman houses that are converted to hotels.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Paulo

... and I agree with Patrck 100% <BR>Sultanhamet is the place to be. The Four Seasons is of world class and there are dozens of restored Ottoman houses coverted into hotels to choose from. <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 12:38 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi, Mudpie. <BR>My wife and I Just returned from a 9-day stay in Istanbul. We were all over the places. <BR>If you have interest in noise, pollution and traffic, stay in the Taxim area. <BR>If you plan visiting the Bazaar, Hagia Sophia, Topkai etc, don't even think about staying other places than in the Sultanameth area!!! <BR>Be aware, though, that standard and prices differ widely in that area. We stayed at Yesil Ev, an old renewed Ottoman house, for USD 160 per night. Very nice hotel, with a big and calm garden, and located footsteps away from the baths of Roxellana and Hagia Sofia/Topkai. Hotel Four Seasons was just around the corner, and we dined there one night. Four Seasons is a +++++ hotel, which I really would try if the stay is for two nights only. <BR>Anyway, within two nigts you shold be able to cover the musts, even if oneand a half day more would have been perfect. And: If you wish to visit Topkai and the Harem, get up early. The Harem ticket office opens at 9 (or 10?) and people are guided in groups while the rest waits outside. No trouble if you are there at opening hour, just in front of the buses. <BR>Two things that are badly promoted but still top sights are The art museum and the Mosaique museum (Byzantic). They are located close to the blue mosque, which also is footsteps avay (150 metres) from the hotels mentioned. <BR>I wish you a wonderful stay. <BR>Bjorn, Norway