Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with Haus Schgaguler in Castelrotto?

Jan 27th, 2010, 11:29 AM
jgg
Original Poster

On the website the place looks great, but the most recent TA reviews in English are from 2006. There are some more recent reviews but they are in other languages. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this hotel.
Jan 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Where did you look? I made a short google search and there are two tripadvisor sites (.de and .com). The .de one has as the latest Englsih input one from 2006. The later entries up to 2009 are German and the people are very positive, with more than one recommending the day trips and tours offered by the owner.

On the other site is one negative entry, though, criticizing the noise from the restaurant and the cleaning lady in the morning. Considering that the poster then went to give the hotel the most negative mark possible in every category and that nobody else metioned this even as a slight problem, my feeling is that he's rather unbalanced, to put it friendly. Or maybe they have one noisy room and if you got real problems with noise, it might make sense to ask for a quiet one.
Jan 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Thank you Hans. I was looking at the .com. I went on the .de site and they have the same reviews. Yes, many of the German ones gave it high marks - atleast I can tell by how many circles they colored in!! I was just disappointed that I couldn't read what they said, so I appreciate your comments that they were very positive. I agree - I was going to discount that one very negative entry.
Jan 28th, 2010, 03:02 AM

Hi Jgg - Another one which gets top TA reviews - and which I can highly recommend - is Haus Silbernagl.

http://www.garni-silbernagl.com/eng/start_e.html

TA reviews -
http://tinyurl.com/ych9qbl

Steve
Jan 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Steve, thanks for the personal recommendation. Silbernagl is also on my short list - which in addition to Schgaguler and Silbernagl also includes Haus Wolf. I also realy like Cavalino d'oro but it is more expensive then the other three. We are planning on spending 5 nights there, so want a good place. Will be traveling with our two teens.
Jan 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Silbernagl is more of a family guest house/B&B than hotel, but unbeatable value. I've stayed in Hotel Zum Wolf too - also excellent.

It depends what you want, but I don't think you can go far wrong with any of those.