Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever taken a gnome on a world tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:52 AM
world

Saw the movie Amelie this past weekend, and overall I was very impressed with the movie, but that is for another post. <BR><BR>What I thought was hillarious was that she stole her father's yard gnome and sent him on an around the world vacation. I have heard of people doing this in the past, and it seems to be the kind of quirky thing I would do, so my question is, has anyone ever done this? If so, how many different places did you take pictures at? Did you know the people you stole the gnome from or were they complete strangers? How did they seem to take the abduction of the gnome and then his joyous return?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:44 AM
trying

I, too, saw the movie last weekend. We had a number of interuptions, though. I couldn't tell if the gnome actually traveled, or whether Amelie paid someone to superimpose him on pictures of famous sights.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:56 AM
MaryC

The gnome did not travel, just stayed at a travel agency, did the superimposement over travel posters, etc..<BR><BR>Great movie, especially if not dubbed in English!! : )

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Little Gnome

No, the gnome did travel. Towards the end of the movie, we meet the woman who had taken the gnome all over the world. She made a comment about everyone calling her Snow White because she had this little gnome that she took everywhere with her. How else do you explain the postmarks on the envelopes that Amelie's father got?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:00 AM
xxx

Years ago David Letterman had something like that on his show. Supposedly there was a little old lady with a gnome in her front yard until someone stole it. Weeks later she got the gnome back with pictures of it all over the world.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Jenny

I took my cousin's childhood teddy bear round the world with me, as he died right before I went travelling, and we had always been close.<BR>I took photos of it in different places, and got other people to take really stupid photos of us together, etc., and it became a definite running joke. We also sent postcards from the bear - it was a way to remember my cousin, and also to have a bit of a project. I'd do it again, even with a gnome!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:25 AM
elvira

Gno gnomes, but one of our traveling companions has a small teddy bear that's been photographed in all sorts of places: at Harry's Bar in Venice, at the foot of the Eiffel Tower, and on the lawn of the White House, to name just a few.<BR><BR>Does it count that WE'VE been photographed, throughout most of Europe, wearing Groucho noses & glasses?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:38 AM
trying

Don't have the URL, but there is a website about Spud's travels, which includes pictures of a Mr. Potato head around the world. Similarly, there is a travelogue on Bootsnall about a journey with a stuffed monkey. Elvira: I'm not sure I'd admit those kinds of facts in public! However, perhaps no packing list is complete without Groucho glasses.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:51 AM
mimi taylor

that person on letterman's show and the rounds of other tv shows, was a man from the Boston area who stole his aunt's gnome snd returned home after the world tour by way of a limo and a bottle of champagne. Someone has told me that there is a French Children's book with a similar story, written long before amelie. Does anyone know the title?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:14 PM
ccc

-<BR>I'm available. Take ME on a world tour!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Kathleen

Earlier this year when I went to Paris alone, I took a small beanie baby (red, white & blue teddy bear) as my 'traveling companion'. I photographed him all over Paris including the museums, parks & other landmarks. I'm 'writing' a book called Spangles goes to Paris for my nieces, and there will be sequels when he goes to Ireland & other parts of the world.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Single

Yes, I took a gnome with me to Europe for three weeks once. Unfortunately, I was married to her at the time.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:27 PM
baDum

Very funny, single! <BR>I was going to say that when I was younger - a gnome took me to Europe!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Barb

No gnomes, but years ago, a coworker who had been working too late and decided to get a little goofy, 'stole' a big, ceramic, decorative rooster from the company cafeteria. Then she proceeded to write up postcards from the rooster and she asked people going on trips to mail the postcards from everywhere around the world back to the catering manager. She started with things like "Help I'm stuck in the Santa Cruz mystery spot and I can't get out" but then the rooster ventured off to Hawaii, Europe, various parts of Asia, all over the U.S. Since people in the company travelled a lot, business and pleasure, she was able to get the rooster postcards from all over the world with great stamps and postmarks. She would write them with quips like, <BR>"I miss you a lot, but I'm seeing lots of exciting sites here in Paris. My captors are treating me well and I hope to be released soon." It was pretty goofy, but we enjoyed it. After about a year, she gave the rooster back.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:14 PM
abc

What about taking a troll instead?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Gas King Mountain

You know, I once saw a nice young thing at the gym that I was tempted to invite on a world tour. Devastating smile, nice leggings, and one of those "she devil" bare midrift t-shirts. The only words I could manage out of my mouth were a stuttering and stammering "oh, so you're a she-devil, humm?" She replied, "why yes, I am."<BR><BR>I then told her that, unfortunately, I think I am married to her leader.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Janine

Sounds like no-one is going to confess to such a prank. I have never sent a gnome on a world trip, but I have hosted one.<BR>Some years back, I was living and working at Ayers Rock (Uluru) in central Australia, when he flew in for a visit. We took him out to the Rock and took snaps of him commencing his climb up (I still have one in my album) before seeing him on to his next destination!!<BR><BR>By the way, I have just seen Amelie too and loved it for the quirky humour and lovely scenes in and around Montmartre, where I stayed earlier this year. Recommend it highly to all Fodorite Francophiles.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Patrick

I may show my ignorance here, but who is FLAT STANLEY? I spend a couple weeks every year traveling with friends, and no matter where we are we have to spend some time taking pictures of FLAT STANLEY in various locations, to send off to a niece. It's a cut-out of a little man. I'm usually the one elected to hold him on the rail of the Eiffel Tower, or standing on the edge of the Trevi Fountain, as someone else snaps a picture.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:53 PM
mimi taylor

rexx=the Davis Letterman show.<BR>yes It was a guy from my town who stole his aunt's gnome and sent pictures from around the world tour. In the end, it was sent home to her by limo with a bottle of Champagne. But before his act there have been many gnome kidnnappings in Belgiam and France (are there also organizations.I was told there is a French children's book on the kidnapping of a gnome . If anyone knows the tile, please tell me.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:30 PM
jahoulih

I learn something every day from Fodor's and Google.<BR><BR>http://flatstanley.enoreo.on.ca/how.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -