Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone else find Spain and Italy's coin fetish as annoying as I do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:26 PM
RAR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a premise, I have been in Europe for a year now, first studying and now backpacking around. I am not the stereotypical ugly American traveller, I love the diversity that is culture.

But, after saying that, one thing that really gets on my nerves (daily) is how freaking uppity some people at the registers get because you don't have exact change, or at least a small bill. It's almost as if I, the customer and the person they should be glad to sell something to (isnt that the point of having a business), am expected to be doing them the favor, every time, and if I don't I'm being the a$$hole.

I can't count how many times I have only had a 10 euro bill, bought something for 1.50, and got dirty look from the guy working the register because I am making him "make change". Or had people outright refuse to sell me something because they don't want to take a 20 euro bill. Or the times when they literally CANT sell me something because they dont have any change in their registers.

I just don't get it. Why are they so up-tight about something so trivial as change? Never seen this anywhere other than in these two countries (Spain has been especially bad). I can't be the only one who notices this, am I?
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:31 PM

It's a cultural thing in Italy where they dealt in millions of lira to buy an icecream. Their Mint literally didn't make change in enough quantity; and people got used to keeping all their small coins, and using them. I first went to Italy in 173, and was baffled by all the odd things I got instead of money when I didn't have the exact price
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Intrepid

Guess this is one "diversity that is culture" which is hard to get used to, huh?

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Yes, definitely have experienced it! I guess I've learned my lesson and horde my small change and bills whenever possible for those very times. One thing I do like is how they put your change in a little cup on the counter - I can't stand here where you have to touch peoples' hands to get change!!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:32 PM

My children loved to go shopping with me in Italy - they always got their change... in candy!

Yes, it was weird, but why spoil your vacation by arguing with the salespeople? It's not such a big percentage of your vacation expenses anyway.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Intrepid

Nutella: you can't stand to touch people's hands to get change? Do you ever SHAKE anyone's hand? Would you ever give YOUR hand to someone else who might be falling or need help? I've heard of phobias but this is ridiculous!

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:53 AM
dln

Intrepid--I once read a "Dear Abby" letter about someone who stopped being a Catholic because Catholics shake each other's hands during Mass. I've always remembered that letter because I thought if you were in the house of God, surely the hand of God would be protecting you against the germy hands of your fellow parishioners? I guess some people don't think so. To Nutella: the money is always going to be filthier than the hand that gives it, so I wouldn't worry unduly on that account.

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 08:43 AM

YES -- it's crazy!!! When a friend and I went to the Uffizi Gallery in Florence we found they have a sign that says "Exact Change". She only had a large bill; lucky for her I had enough small money for us both.

I guess the attitude isn't hurting the tourism trade though. Last I heard, Italy was still the number one tourist destination in the world. I for one can't wait to go back (with lots of small bills and coins!!).
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 09:00 AM

Sheila: Just how old ARE you, anyway???
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 09:22 AM

The reason is quite simply and purely lazy on the shop keepers end. They do not get coins at the bank unless they run out. They pay to get coins so they try to save a few here and there by asking for them from the shoppers. Since we have coins that are almost equal to 1 and 2 $ as well as 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50, most people have coins and want to use them.

BTW, I have never had anyone be uppity with me when asking for smaller change.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Totally agree, RAR!

Not a major annoyance, just repeated minor ones. You keep fighting this battle of maintaining your wallet stocked with coins & small bills.

Here in Switzerland, some ATMs allow you to choose small bills for withdrawals (20s and 50s vs. 100s and 200s) - quite handy.

Andre
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 10:16 AM
jor

Its the same in Gernany. My money was refused once in Berlin when I didn't have exact change. I got lots of disgusted looks at other shops. The good part of it is that you have an insentive to get rid of all those coins that accumulate like here in America.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is the same in Mexico (yes I know I'm on the Europe board) ... but instead of let it drive you crazy (daily?! you say) simply hoard coins and smaller bills, so you'll have that 1.50 when you need it. Or get small change by stopping into a bank now and then and breaking a large bill.

This is something that is SO incredibly EASY to deal with, I don't understand (and especially if you have been in Europe for a year already) why you don't solve the problem and quit beating your head against a wall and/or continue to bother shopkeepers when you know it creates a problem for both of you.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 03:19 PM

We found an answer to the perennial "small change" problem. We would get money from the ATM and then I would go into the bank asking "piccolo, per favore". I didn't know the exact words to use, but the teller understood me. My request was always honored, with a smile. Of course this was a small bank in Magione, Umbria.

However, the fruit vendor at the market was not as hospitable, but he was creative. I made my purchase and paid with a bill. "No change", he looks at me, yanks off a banana from the hand, and counts that as the change.

Thejamlady
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 03:53 PM
dln

Suze, you obviously don't know the meaning of "pet peeve."

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Pet peeve means a problem that could be solved but you choose not to?
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:15 PM

I was in Spain about a year ago and had difficulty in obtaining change. The reason I was given was that, although the Spanish Government had minted enough change for their own needs, the French Government had not. Apparently the French Government offered the Spanish Government such a good deal as regards buying their coins they (the Spanish) accepted it.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Yes RAR, i noticed it, and it did drive me a bit yonkers. I tried to be sensitive to it too, and saved up my small change to use for minor transactions. But I kept using all my small change, and at some point, would only have large bills! I noticed it not only in Italy and Spain, but Greece as well. I thought there was a great coin famine.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 12:17 AM
RAR
Original Poster

Yea I know what ya mean, you do get to the point where you just try to save everything and break large bills whenever possible.... but it always happens where you are out at night with just a 20 or a 50 and get stuck. And yes, Suze this would be a pet peeve of mine. Nice to see I am not the only one though!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:47 AM

I guess I didn't make my point very well... I was simply trying to express that I feel there are things in travel you can control, and things you can't.

Keeping correct small change I can handle. I attempt to save my stress and aggravation for what I cannot influence (i.e., lost luggage, transportation strikes, canceled flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -