Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Marche au Puce in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 04:07 PM
Rose

I'm looking at checking out this market in Paris, I hear it's quite a good hunting ground for antiques etc. It's said to be the original flea market. <BR> <BR>Has anyone been there? Did you buy anything? How about directions to get there? I want to ensure it's worth a day's visit. Thanks for your input!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:34 PM
alice

Take M-line 4 Porte de Clignancourt, when above ground walk under the highway overpass. You will see the fringe of the market, which will not be the stuff you are interested in.. walk on past it, and delve into the middle of the market (we're talking blocks and blocks here)...There are many boutiques and shops with a myriad of merchandise, can keep you occupied for hours.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:52 PM
Maureen

Bring cash (many vendors do not accept any form of plastic), but make sure it's secure on your person. Get there early. Be well informed ahead of time on what you're shopping for. Whenever anything makes your heart flutter, pretend otherwise. Express lukewarm interest, then bargain like the dickens.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 07:11 PM
nemo

<BR>The Marche is like no other. The size and assortment of products is overwhelming. I don't know that I would give up a day to go there again with so many other wonderful attractions in Paris, but it would certainly be memorable. However, under no circumstances would I ever suggest taking the Metro or buses to the Marche. The problems with pickpockets and thieves has been an ongoing problem in this area as well as on the public transportation that goes to, through, and from this neighborhood. I am a very experienced visitor to Paris and have had problems on the Metro myself. I am not alone in this. Please do yourself a service and use a taxi to go and once done shopping have a merchant call for another cab. It is really a small expense for safety and piece of mind, especially if you have cumbersome purchases.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 08:18 PM
gb

Try to pay for purchase with exact change. Often, you will get the "I don't hve the correct change, I'll go get it," and they don't return. Be very careful of what you buy. Some things are a bargain and others are fake.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 10:07 AM
Rose

Thanks for the info! I know it's a huge market, but didn't know about the pickpockets. Thanks for the tips and the directions, I've made note of it all!