Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody figured out this British Airways sale? Ends tomorrow!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:36 PM
scumpy

<BR>It is advertised as $99 from several US gateways to London and then supposed to be $49 each way to other destinations in Europe if you book round trip to London. I cannot figure out how to book that on the website, and I don't see any clearcut instructions as to how to do it. If I just book London, it takes me directly to entering names and passport numbers, as though the next step is going to be to finish the booking. If I put in my desired European destination in the first place, it quotes me a price way higher than $148 each way.<BR><BR>http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_us and then click on A Fare to Remember.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the URL you need to use for these fares is: http://www.britishairways.com/leisureemail <BR><BR>That is the URL that was specified in the email message that I received from British Airways.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:48 PM
rex

At least two people have posted on this thread<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=null&amp;tid=34400521<BR><BR>an d mentioned that they have booked destinations beyond london. Maybe post there? and and them to write to you?<BR><BR>Just a thought.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:51 PM
scumpy

<BR>sojourn, thanks, but that is one of the ones I have already been to.<BR><BR>I'm going to be embarrassed if the answer is really simple, but so far I am just not getting it.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:56 PM
scumpy

<BR>Rex, thanks for your reply. I checked that thread. Nobody over there seems to have booked the $99 plus $49 deal that is advertised. Fares they are talking about are good, but not the $148 that is advertised. I had not intended to book my trip yet, but thought if I could get a fare this cheap, I couldn't afford not to book it. I am traveling in November.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:12 PM
rex

The post from Judi APPEARS to be the lowest possible fare (assuming she is quoting WITH taxes) - - not every destination is $49 is it? and she is flying in May and June - - so the $99 to London is not applicable.<BR><BR>If I interpret the sale correctly her fare (each way) may well be $149 (for May) plus $x9 for her other destination(s) plus taxes might easily equal her total of $540-something.<BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:23 PM
scumpy

<BR>Apparently I need to re-state my question. I wish to fly during the period when British Airways is advertising $99 from US to London and then $49 for destinations in Europe after that if you also book London. Those periods are in March and November. Fares in May are immaterial. Has anyone here figured out how to use the website to book the London fare that then qualifies them for the further $49 fare?<BR><BR>Rex, thanks for your attempt to help, but it appears you have not tried nor succeeded in booking it via the British Airways website.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:32 PM
rex

It's true, I have not tried booking these fares. But the procedure should be the same, or so I was thinking.<BR><BR>I was just trying to direct you to someone who appears to have booked a destination beyond London at the (equivalent) sale fare (in May) that you are seeking. It seems like it couldn't hurt to post on that other thread, and hope that Judi could offer you some insights on what she did.<BR><BR>I apologize if it seems to you that I wasted your time.<BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:48 PM

What price are you getting? I've booked a trip to Prague in November and got a price of $456 including tax, which breaks down as $296 before taxes, and $160 for the taxes. The email message said that the London portion of the taxes is $102, so that means that $58 is the amount for the second portion of the taxes, which seems reasonably because there are always additional departure taxes.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:50 PM

Your departure dates have to be Monday-Wednesday, and the return dates are Tuesday-Thursday. If you've booked any other days, you're going to be paying a premium to travel on those days - usually $25 to $50 more per leg.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:12 AM

I found it much easier to just do it on the phone. 1-800-airways. They gave me the same price as I was gettin online. I think the sale ends today.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:48 AM

I received a heads up email on Tuesday and called BA before 8 AM. We did have to depart a day early which was no problem for us. <BR><BR>My husband's fare ATL-Malaga/Venice-ATl is $541.62 inclusive. I am extending my stay and returning from Zurich on June 17 for about $25 more. I have to change from Heathrow to Gatwick on return but have over three hours to do so.<BR><BR>I hope those of you who are looking for great fares will find them as well.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:20 AM
scumpy

<BR>Thanks, sojourn, grimmy and Judi. You've helped me figure it out. I'm also going to go sign up for British Airways e-mail notification, so I'll be better prepared next time they have a big sale.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:55 AM

I just compared fares for American Airlines in November. To London, AA was only $4 more roundtrip than the British Airways super sale. TO Paris AA was cheaper.<BR><BR> Keith
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Hi scumpy. I have the same/similar problem as you have. I want to go beyond London BUT i would like to stay in London for 2 days and then go to Milan. The BA site doesn't tell you how to do that. It just ask for origin and destination and then give you the fare. In their advertisement, it says you can have 2 stopovers in London for every roundtrip but how do you do that using their website? Ex. I leave 3/17 for London, stay for a couple of days and then leave for Milan on 3/20???<BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Pick up the phone and call BA - their website is the most confusing on the planet I've found. I've always just called and had no problems getting what I wanted.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:46 AM
scumpy

<BR>Precisely the conclusion I reached, Lori!!!

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:52 AM
scumpy

<BR>No, wait! I take back my agreement with Lori about BA having the worst website. I tried to make a price inquiry on the Hertz rental car website the other day. That one was truly, truly horrible.