Reload this Page >

any tips for a vegetarian in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:01 AM
claudine

I have been to France a few times but I was very little and I always remember my mom having a very hard time finding food for me then.. in early Sept. 2001 I will be on my honeymoon and I don't want to be starving or <BR>have a hard time with food. any tips would be appreciated

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:14 AM
elaine

Claudine, I don't know the details of your vegetarianism (eggs and fish ok?) nor your budget, but I will say that <BR>for lunch you need never have a problem, there are always salads, omelets, cheeses, etc. <BR>Dinner might be more challenging. <BR>If your budget will accommodate a pricey <BR>dinner on your honeymoonpoon Food & Wine, 14 rue de Marignan, in the 8th. www.spoon.tm.fr <BR>Phone 01 40 76 34 44, fax 01 40 76 34 37. Advance reservations essential. Another Alain Ducasse success. Modern décor, very trendy crowd, place doesn't fill up until after 8:30. I would describe the dress code as casual chic. Unusual food, Asian and American influences, with interesting combinations of spices and herbs. You can make choices about which sauce or vegetable to have with which dish, although there are suggestions. Many vegetarian alternatives. Dinner for two cost 1145FF with a bottle of wine. If caramel ice cream is offered for dessert, don't miss it. I'm still thinking about it. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:19 AM
Thyra

Claudine... I am a vegetarian and have never had a problem, all over Europe. First of all, do you eat dairy? If so it will be much easier... Fresh cheese crepes from outdoor venders are the best and coissonts for breakfast divine, if you don't eat dairy you can request them with tomatoes or mushrooms as well or nutella, which is like sweet peanut butter! . Also do yourself a favor and learn a few simple words for various vegetarian entrees in French and also how to ask the question " do you have anything vegetarian?" it sounds roughly like "av aye vous un plate veg et ter annie?" Not spelled correctly of course. French servers, generally speaking, will go out of the way to be helpful if you know a phrase or two of French. Also there are many pastry shops and sandwhich shops where you can get a variety of sandwiches veggie and cheese (just take out the cheese, if you don't eat it) I doubt you will have any problems and don't forget there are markets all over Paris and a great veggie snack is to stop by any market and pick up some fresh fruits or veggies and go to say, the Luxembourg Gardens for a picnic if the weather is nice. Finally, Paris is a huge city there are a variety of wonderful ethnic restaurants including Indian, Chinese, Thai, Italian, etc. So when desperate, I always head for the nearest Chinese take away and order Steamed rice and veggies, or pasta from an Italian place. Many guide books include vegetarian selections in their restaurant guides... I think you will have a wonderful time... Have a perfect honeymoon, we went to Paris for ours and it was one of the great highlights of my life!

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 09:23 AM
claudine

thanks guys for the ideas! especially the way to say "do you have anything vegetarian?" that was great! <BR> <BR>luckily i do eat dairy. i'm not a huge fan of eggs but i like cheese etc. so that will help a lot. <BR> <BR>i don't eat any chicken or fish. I LOVE pasta so I ate VERY well in Italy, so i was nervous about going to France. <BR> <BR>thanks again! If anyone else has tips too! I would appreciate them - the more the merrier <BR>~Claudine <BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 10:00 AM
elaine

Claudine <BR>Now that I know dairy ok, eggs so-so, and no fish, let me suggest the following places which are some of those mentioned as being vegetarian restaurants in the reliable book "Cheap Eats in Paris". Some of these are not listed under the vegetarian heading in the index, but you will still do well there since you like cheese. You might want to buy that book or another for more selections. <BR>Aquarius, two locations, one at 54 rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie in the 4th, the other location 40 rue de Gergovie in the 14th.The one in the 14th is said to have nicer decor. English spoken. <BR>Said to be very popular is Country Life, 6 rue Daunou in the 2nd, also have a shop and bookstore. All you can eat hot and cold buffet. No liquor, coffee, or tea. Some English spoken. La Patata, 25 boul. des Italiens, also is in the 2nd. Specialize in stufffed baked potatoes, salads, fruit, good desserts. Limited English. La Ferme Saint Hubert, 21 rue Vignon in the 8th is famous for cheese, also salads, quiches, very good Poilane bread.English menu. La Petite Legume, 36 rue des Boulangers, in the 5th prepares healthy food, no smoking,, very inexpensive, have organic wines as well, will even pack food to go for a picnic. Menu in English. <BR>L'Assiette aux Fromages, 27 Rue Mouffetard, 5th. Specializes in salads, fondue, raclette, quiches, desserts. Menu available in English. Le Grenier de Notre Dame, 18 rue de la Bucherie, in the 5th. Said to be one of the best vegetarian places in Paris. <BR>with a wide variety of choices. Menu also in English. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 10:09 AM
claudine

WoW! <BR> <BR>thanks so much! I will have to buy that book - chep eats in paris. those places sound great. especially the bookstore cafe! cool! <BR> <BR>thanks again <BR>take care! <BR>~Claudine

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 06:52 PM
deena

As long as you eat cheese, i would recommend Androuet just off the Champs Elysee near the Arc de Triomphe. This restaurant is associated with the cheese shop and is lovely. They have a sampler prix fixe and also al a carte choices. L'As du Falafel is a good choice in the Marais section on the Rue de Rosiers.