Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on Italy itinerary/recommendations?

Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Arrive in Rome Sunday
4 nights Rome (still need a hotel)
Train to Florence
2 nights Florence (friend's apartment located near Uffizi)
Train to Venice
2 nights Venice (need hotel)
Train or car (which would you recommend) to Lake Como
2 nights Lake Como
Train or Car to Tuscany
5 nights Tuscany (Car rental to explore places like Sienna, Pisa, Lucca, etc)...
Depart Pisa Monday

I've posted a few times on here about particular hotels and didn't receive any feedback, so, if you have any recommendations for Rome, Venice or Lake Como they are much appreciated. I'm trying to stick to around $250 a night or so if possible.

Also, any thoughts on Milan instead of Lake Como? I'd really like to see the Last Supper, but I'm not sure if it is worth going into Milan just for that.

Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:29 AM

I would train from Rome to Venice. Visit Florence after the Lake Como,when you are visiting Tuscany. Perhaps train from Lake Como/Milan to Florence, spend a couple of days and then rent your car for Tuscany.

Have you looked at www.venere.com for hotels?
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM

Hi J,

My only suggestion would be to take a night from Tuscany (sigh) and add it to Venice. 2 nights in Venice is just not enough!

Buon viaggio!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM

jcepk1, look at Locanda Senatorum in Rome-the location is the BEST and the reviews on TripAdvisor are all great, and right in your budget - we are staying there mid-June and we are paying 160E per day - seems like a steal to me, check them out. Even if you don't lodge there, be sure and stay in the area, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona area - it is the best location, IMHO. There is the Albergo Sanato that looks real nice, too-overlooks the Pantheon, incredible views - have fun, safe travels,
Leslie
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM

www.lacalcina.com in Venice is a very nice hotel
Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:18 AM

For the lakes, we went to Como and stayed at the Hotel Florence ($$) in Bellagio, which is right next door to the Hotel Serbelloni ($$$$). You can walk over the the Serbelloni and sit in the lobby at night and have a drink and listen to live music.

You need a car to get there. From Milan, drive to Como and go up the left side of the lake, stop at Villa D'Este for a look around and maybe lunch and then continue up the lake stopping at Villa Carlotta to see the gardens which will be in bloom about now ( tremendous Azaleas) and then another mile or two north to the car ferry to Bellagio. We drove back down the left side of the lake, but it was pretty hairy (steep dropoffs and such).
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Have done similar trip. Agree that train from Rome to Venice is a better option. Would rent car in Venice and drive to Lake Como. Is not very far and roads are good.

I stayed in Varenna at Eremo Gaudio. Views are wonderful but have a one lane several switchbacks road to get to parking, but can see if anyone is coming down. Then have to take two funiculars up to it. Rooms clean and adequate views are great. Have to go into village to eat. Here is website

http://www.eremogaudio.it/inglese.htm

Not much to do Varenna except look at the lake. Hotel Villa Ciprissa is right on lake and has good views. Toured it but didn't stay there. Will next time I go.
http://www.hotelvillacipressi.it/eng/hotel.htm

Would either drive or train from Lake Como. Drive is around 4 hours and roads are good. You will need a car in Tuscany, but not in Florence.

Sound like you have a good trip planned. Good luck and enjoy it.

May 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM

A group of 6 just got back from Rome and Venice. Would recommend both of the places we stayed at.

In Rome:
http://www.b-b.rm.it/accommodations/desc.php?id=387

In Venice:
http://www.veniceapartments.org/html/celsi1.html