Any suggested travel plan?

Nov 8th, 1998, 06:11 AM
Jack Hui

Any suggested travel plan?

HI! I'm a student from Hong Kong. I plan to visit Greece, Italy, Switerland, Germany and France in June 99 for 30 days.
I would like to know if anyone has visited these place in the same time duration. If yes, I would like to know your travel plan.
THanks a lot!

Nov 8th, 1998, 09:56 AM
Bob

You need to be more specific in your title to get a response. Prepare for rain in June in Germany. Hot in Italy. Are you doing car or trains? Interests? Bavaria in Germany is very nice. Basically your question is too broad for a good answer. Try to be more focused.

Nov 8th, 1998, 09:56 AM
Bob

You need to be more specific in your title to get a response. Prepare for rain in June in Germany. Hot in Italy. Are you doing car or trains? Interests? Bavaria in Germany is very nice. Basically your question is too broad for a good answer. Try to be more focused.

Nov 8th, 1998, 09:57 AM
Bob

Nov 10th, 1998, 12:40 AM
Jen

I'm going to wager a guess and say this is your first trip to Europe and you're hoping to see as much as humanly possible in the time you have. That's what I did on my first trip!

My trip was a bit different (longer, and included a few more countries), but I guess in total I probably spent five weeks in these areas. Let's see...I spent four days in Paris, one in Colmar, a couple of days in the Jungfrau region of the Alps in Switzerland (Balmer's Herberge is one of the most popular youth hostels in Europe, by the way), two days in the Italian Riviera, four days in Rome (with a stop in Pisa on the way there), two days in Sorrento and Pompeii, then two days on route to Athens, five days on Santorini, two days in Athens, two days en route BACK to Italy, two days in Florence, one day in Venice, two days in Salzburg (I know you didn't mention Austria, but this is what I did), two days in Munich, one in Fussen, one on the Romantic Road tour, one on the Rhine River Cruise. That's 37 days, unless I miscounted.

Really, it is SUCH a pain to go to Greece unless you fly there. I assume, since you're a student, you'll be getting a youth Eurail pass. And yes, with that pass you can get a free ferry ticket to Greece. But you have to stay outside, on the deck. And it takes eighteen hours (so, overnight, plus all day)...plus at least four or six hours by train getting from wherever you are in Italy to Brindisi to catch the boat, plus four hours to Athens from Patras. If you go to any southern islands, like I did, there's another six to ten hour ferry ride from Athens, and then back again. It is not worth the four days or more of travel just to go to Greece. Athens IS incredible, but it's also over-rated. Save your precious time and skip Greece. See Greek ruins in southern Italy instead, if that's important to you.

You CAN see a lot in 30 days. It can be exhausting, but if you're desperate to see it all and get a taste of what you'll see more of on subsequent trips, it's worth it. Lots of people disagree with me on this, but I found two nights in each place to usually be plenty (except Rome and Paris, maybe Florence, too). When I'm older I'll take it slower, but for now, I love past-paced travel. Take lots of night trains, where possible, so your waking hours are free for sight-seeing.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I did put together a four to six week European itinerary for a friend of mine that I can send to you if you want it. Let me know.