Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for an apt/sobe/hotel on Korcula?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Dubrovnik 10/1 - 10/18 and I am thinking that I might like to stay one night on Korcula. It's a long day trip and it might just be easier and more fun to stay the night. Because I will be paying for the apt. in Dubrovnik and one night on Korcula, I would like to find a pretty cheap, but decent place to stay. Any recommendations? Nukesafe? I know you are very familiar with Korcula.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:45 AM

I am interested in hearing suggestions on Korcula lodging as well. We are going in March, and I am just now starting to collect ideas.

Barb-Do you know yet where you are staying in DBV? I have seen several great recommendations on this board but haven't had the chance to look into any yet.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM

We did not stay there but here is a shot of the Hotel Korcula that surely has a great view and location.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...9&cat=3882
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Sorry, Barb, but we did not stay in Korcula town. We stayed with a family on the far end of the island, in the town of Vela Luka. We only visited Korcula town by bus.

I have to agree that a visit to the ancient fortified town of Korcula would be worthwhile, particularly if you spend the evening after the day trippers leave.

You will love Croatia!

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM

For early October (and March), you could just present yourself at the TI near the port at Korcula, and just ask them what's available. There should be lots of availability. Sobes are (generally) still open in October, but there aren't many tourists.

There's a cheap very nice sobe listed in Rick Steve's Eastern Europe book. I don't have that book anymore--sorry. But it was the only sobe listed. We stayed next door and had great views of the water. We paid $30/night.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Korcula a couple of years ago. I wrote a trip report, Ahhh, Croatia! and this is what I wrote about the hotel:

We stayed at the Hotel Korcula which was probably the only hotel open in November. It is an old hotel; the building dates from 1885 an it has been a hotel since 1912. We had a large rather dusty room but the bed was comfy and the shower was good.

It is well located. I don't remember much about it so it obviously didn't make much of an impression. I do remember the nice gentleman at the front desk.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

sessa; I am staying at Nerio's apartments in Dubrovnik. I stayed there last year and just loved the location. The apt. is a little quirky, but for 50 euro a night I am not complaining. The location is right on the market square. I loved staying in the Old Town.

bob/judi; I will check out the Hotel Korcula. It might be a little more $ than I want to spend for just one night though.

nuke; I LOVE Croatia, that's why I am returning again this year to spend more time there. I still need to go to one of the Anacortes Croatian dinners!

I think I might just take my chances with a sobe as suggested. Might be fun seeing what I get. All part of the great adventure of travel.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know about the Marco Polo apartments in Old Town? From the website it looks like in October the rate is 35 euro, which is an excellent price.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM

In a couple of weeks, I am staying in the one listed in Rick Steves book, the DePolo Apts but I think there may be 2 of them---Theresa (goes by Rezi) is where I am staying and can let you know how it is---she has been great in all of my planning emails.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

That's great - please let me know how it works out for you. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Barb--the Korcula apartments are called Villa DePolo and the email is [email protected]--Rezi is the owner. It looks fine from the website picture and Rezi has been very helpful in letting me know the bus schedule. I will let you know how it is after I have been there but you can check the prices etc prior. Kathy
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM

Barb,

Here is a web site that has a picture. Says it is 150 meters from the town
center.

http://tinyurl.com/2tpaf5

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info on the apt. It looks very nice and I will definitely check it out.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Barb & Kathrynj,

Yes, it was the Depolo apts we stayed next to. Here are some other pictures. This first one shows ours (cinderblock) and Rezi's (pretty yellow one).

http://tinyurl.com/2xflff

And this is looking up the street, away from old town:
http://tinyurl.com/yszbes

It really is close to old town, but without the noise!

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Christycruz, thanks for the info and the pics. Did you like where you stayed and would you stay there again? That certainly is a good price. It reminds me of the apt. where I am staying in Dubrovnik, right next door to the Puci Place, same view, but for only 50 euro a night. Do you have any info on your room? If you even have just a name I could probably ask for it when I arrive, at the TI?
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM

I went ahead and booked a room at the DePolo for our March '08 trip based on the review in Rick Steves' book.

Christy-Just wanted to clarify--was the place you stayed part of Villa DePolo or was it just next door to it?

Rezi quoted us 240 kuna/night for a sea view room (which I think equates to about $44). I would be interested to hear "first-hand" feedback as this is a great deal. Thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM

We stayed next door to to DePolo. We called Rezi DePolo first, but she was full and referred us to her next door neighbor "Dora". We liked Dora's, but next time would choose to stay upstairs rather than the first floor since the upstairs floors are squeaky and would wake us up in the morning.

Rezi's house looked very pretty and neat as a pin. I'm sure it will be worth the $44.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:51 AM

Barb and anyone else who cares---am in Korcula right now awaiting the bus to Dubrovnik. Stayed at Rezi DePolos apartments last night---60 US for 2 of us with an absolutely drop dead view of the town and water. She is delightful and the place is very clean, pleasant. Thin towel but AC and satellite TV! I would definitely recommend it. Had dinner last night at PPlanjak and Seahorse today. Enjoy!
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM

I know! Can you believe that view for that price! We stayed an extra night almost because of that view alone.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

kathy, thanks!! I am getting very excited about this whole trip. I would love to hear about your time on Korcula and Dubrovnik too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -