Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Other Airlines to Get From London-Rome?

Jan 26th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

We are goingt to London for 4 nights than on to Rome for 4 nights over my childrns'Spring Break.
I already have our tickets on British airways from Boston to london.
I have been checking for cheap flights on B.A, Ryanair and Easy Jet.
so far they are all running
around 70-100 GBP for RT/per person.

Is there any other airline I could be checking into?

thanks
Jan 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Looking on Expedia or Travelocity for flights between London and Rome also turns up Alitalia, British Midland, Lufthansa, and Czech Airlines. I would expect there are probably several others.

I don't know what specific dates you are looking at, but Travelocity shows rates of $116 up but that is using the option to look for cheapest flights without specifying dates. I often use Travelocity or Expedia to see what's available and then will book directly with the airlines once I find out what is available and least expensive.
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:17 PM

The only regular nonstops from any London area airport to Fiumicino or Ciampino are with Alitalia, BA, Easyjet or Ryanair (though there may be some strange, once or twice weekly flights on people like Kuwait or Libyan that offer deals: I've found Libyan helpful in the past, but the only booze was Coca Cola -undrinkable at any time, and never a substitute for the nice drop of Barolo Alitalia usually offers. Play with the "flights" thingy on the www.nonrev.net site to see if any of these oddies are operating on your days).

Most of the national airlines that are kind of on the way - like Lufthansa, KLM, AF or even Czech or Malev (Hungarian) - may offer deals, changing at their hub. UK-based web intermediaries, like ebookers or lastminute.com, are usually excellent for identifying who's offering deals at a particular time, and for getting tickets. Often, the airlines themselves won't sell at the prices the intermediaries are offering.

You might also try flightline.co.uk. which also includes usold seats on charters

Jan 27th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the other companies to check out and all those other sites to check on!
i must have been having a brain cramp to even forget about Alitalia.!

Thanks again.
Jan 27th, 2004, 04:48 AM

"They are all running 70 to 100 GBP for RT per person."

The bulk of the price in low fare airlines is the taxes and fees. Do you really think paying 35 pounds ($63) to fly from London to Rome is so bad? Whew! I wouldn't expect much lower than that!

Check Alitalia, but I'd be very surprised if it is any lower.
Jan 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

No I don't Patrick,
(think the prices are so bad)
as I said, I have been seduced by those advertised airfares by Ryanair and Easy Jet for
"Rome, As Low As 9.99GBP"
In the past I have always purchased the whole trip in one ticket.
I just thought I would try something different this time
I understand the taxes are what drives up prices,
after all our $330 RT ticks to London look a bit differently when one does tack on the $108 tax.

But, thanks for the sites to check out cheaper tickets.
It should be interesting to see what I can come up with.
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:37 PM

I've been looking at fares out of London to other European cities. Someone pointed me to www.applefares.com. Very useful.