Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any opinions on Fielding House in the Covent Garden area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:15 AM
aj

I have cancelled my reservations for Twenty Nevern Square to get closer to the Covent Garden area. Any opinions on the Fielding House? (I gather it is not luxery but it is convenient and in my price range.)

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Deborah

Hi. We too decided on the Fielding Hotel strictly on its location. However, a word of caution. The rooms are very small and the bathrooms are so cramped that you have to back in and out of the shower stall. The hotel itself is nothing special - no atmosphere-rather dark and dingy. In the morning and late at night it's very noisy outside due to the cobblestone street - you will have to keep your windows closed. You can do much better than this hotel I would not choose this area again. Try the Travel Inn at County Hall just blocks from Westminster Bridge and good value for your money.<BR>Deborah

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 07:39 AM
aj

Thank you Deborah for your reply. I guess since this is my second reservation for London I will give it a try any way. I hate to cancel again. Was the area really convenient to Covent Garden? Maybe this will make up for lack of character and lack of space. Was it at least clean?

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Julie

aj, For another option if you're looking for location (again, not luxury but modest and clean) try the following:<BR><BR>Royal Adelphi Hotel (Budget/Moderate Single w/ensuite facilities 65 pounds in 1999)<BR>21 Villers Street<BR>London, England @C2N 6ND<BR>0171-930-8764 phone<BR>0171-930-8735 fax<BR>I had originally found this by walking by it so many times to the National Theatre (it's right off the strand on a pedestrian only street). Later found information on it from Sandra Gustafson’s Cheap Sleeps recommendation. The location is fantastic if you want to be close to Covent Garden and there's a lovely park just down the street overlooking the Thames. Good Luck!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Deborah

Hi. Yes it is very convenient - only about 2 blocks to the Opera House. It is clean or was when we were there in 1999. Just don't have high expectations - you can ask to check the room - some rooms are larger than others-we moved to a larger one.<BR>Good luck. Deborah