Reload this Page >

Any info on Seine river dinner cruises?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 1998, 02:05 AM
N

this is our first time in paris and i've heard that the seine dinner cruises are lovely with all the buildings/monuments lit up at night. i've even heard that the food is pretty good. or is this just a tourist trap? also, i found 2 companies- bateaux mouches departing from the right bank (pont de l'ama) for FR 500, and bateaux parisiens-tour eiffel departing from the left bank (pont de lena) for FR550. can anyone recommend either one? thanks.

Old Mar 18th, 1998, 05:28 AM
Sanne

Hey N.

Here you will have my PERSONAL opinion on this issue BUT as a rule it's difficult to generalise and tell people what's good and bad - it depends on the person I think.

I live in Denmark now, but I lived in Paris for 3 years some years ago and have travelled a lot around in Paris and France.

Dinner Cruise is as far as I see it waste of money and what you call a tourist trap. The view at nighttime is beautiful and a sight seeing from the Seine as well BUT try to do it - if you insist - without eating on board. It's not very good and the prices are pretty high compared to the food. My suggestion would be to take a sight seeing by boat in the evening just to see the illumination and then use the money on eating in a cosy nice restaurant. For 500FF you will be able to have dinner twice in a reasonable good restaurant. I can't give you any advice on which sight seeing boats will be the best, but I really don't think there will be much of a difference if it's only for sight seeing.
If you need some further advice, info etc. please feel free to contact me directly.

Regards
Sanne

Old Mar 18th, 1998, 05:43 AM
joelle

I totally agree with Sanne. Dinner cruises on the Seine river are a tourist trap...

Old Mar 18th, 1998, 09:35 AM
Christina

I have never taken one as I wouldn't spend that kind of money for that (500FF!!!!). The Seine cruise is
nice but only costs a few dollars by itself, as I
recall--do that alone. I have never heard anyone who thought the meals on these cruises were good.
I am sure they are not worth 500FF, an amount for
which you could buy a very, very nice meal in a
good restaurant. But, only you know your budget --
if that isn't an outrageous amount of money to you,
you might do it just for fun if you're not
expecting great dining. Is that 500FF PER PERSON?
Even for two people that's rather high, but a lot
better and I might do it, but never at 500/person.

Old Mar 20th, 1998, 12:00 AM
Donna

Have a nice dinner, THEN go on a nighttime cruise of the Seine. The food on the cruise is definitely not a good value for the dollar, and you would much more enjoy the spectacular scenery of Paris illuminated at night than standing in the buffet line and wondering what the (not all that appealing and mediocre offerings happen to be).

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 06:21 PM
N

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 06:29 PM
N

dear all, thanks for the replies, but to be honest, it doesn't sound as if any of you have actually tried the food. any other opinions from people who have had the dinner? if so,how big is the difference between the regular dinner and the buffet one? i've read two postings for other messages on this board that really recommend them. thanks.

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 07:49 PM
Judy

We celebrated my birthday this past January with a dinner cruise on the Seine. There were four of us and we all thought it was quite charming. The food was good but not the very best...included wine..strolling violinist, strolling singer and band. We went on a Sunday evening when a lot of restaurants aren't open. It cost about $140-142 per couple..we booked in US through a travel agent. We all have travelled extensively and while it may be chic to put down tourist type activities (and I have been guilty of this) this was really a fun, elegant and inexpensive special evening!

Old Mar 28th, 1998, 08:53 PM
Jim

Well, I personally would hardly call $142 per couple inexpensive (considering that the boat ride alone is $8/person), particularly for good, but not great, food. If you are not convinced that anyone responding has "actually tried the food", I guess you're on your own. The "regular dinner" IS a buffet. Been there, done that. Believe me, when you would much prefer to be on the deck enjoying the scenery, you are required to stand in the BUFFET line. And, just try and figure out what everything is! If you prefer to believe the "two positngs for other messages", go for it. Some folks hesitate to admit that they may have done better. Why not just go there, try them all, and report back?

Old Mar 28th, 1998, 09:44 PM
Jody

If you wish to attempt to dine as you cruise the Seine, do it. The food is okay for the price and the experience - and I HAVE actually done this. Would definitely NOT do it again. Next time, we will enjoy dining elsewhere and concentrate on the sights and scenery while cruising. The meal on the cruise was not the worst (or most expensive) we experienced while in Paris, but it's not anything I would recommend to anyone else either. Practically speaking, it's probably not possible to enjoy the spectacular sights and eat at the same time. Definitely agree that it's best to DINE elsewhere. But, if you are determined to EAT along the way, rather than soak up to visual experience, and don't mind paying for it - you'll love it.

Old Mar 28th, 1998, 09:52 PM
andrea

Thou dost discourage those with truly valuable tips to offer from offering them! Why, oh, why, would anyone wish to preclude you from going forth with your preclusions? Or, dislose ever so valuable tips (the result of enormous reseach, planning, expense, and experience) to YOU?

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 05:57 AM
Joyce

I agree with Andrea that you certainly seem to have your mind already made up, even before posting the question, so why take up everyone's time when you are not interested in their replies. I don't see where you come off stating that it sounds as though none of your original four respondents have ever actually eaten on the cruise. You don't seem to read very carefully. Sanne lived in Paris for 3 years and flatly stated, "The food is not very good." Joelle agrees, and as I know she is French and I believe lives in Paris, I'm sure she knows what she is talking about. Christina admits she has not eaten, and is not about to. I would bet you dollars to doughnuts that from Donna's reply, as worded, she has indeed partaken of the vast epicurean delights offered by the cruises. That's 3 out of 4 making very positive statements. What more do you want?

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 09:15 AM
Arizona

In the sundown years of a long, successful, and happy sojourn on this planet, may I put in my two francs? If what you spend is something you can replace out of current income, and the deed is something you will always remember and is not illegal or immoral -- hey, do it! Darned if I can tell you what I did with all the money I saved by going on the cheap for what could have been a grand memory. There's only one Paris, one springtime of one's life, and a long, long, long sleep afterward.

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 09:20 AM
Arizona

Oh, one thing more...about memories. Two years ago, we spent $400 each to rise in the dark, bump across 20 miles of open plain, and got into a balloon. To soar and drift across Kenya's Masai Mara, silent, cool, with dawn's shadows vanishing among the bush and the still animals below. And a champagne breakfast beside a pool of noisy hippos when we descended. Hey! You can have Paris -- and do so!

Old Apr 16th, 1998, 08:37 AM
louise

dear N, I;m going to Paris in Sept. and I've been thinking of doing the same thing. taking my mother with me, and I think it would be wonderful, if the weather's good. I'll also take her to lunch of dinner at the top of the Eiffel Tower. You only live once, let/s go for it. how often do you get to something different you'll always remember whether you got your moneys worth or not. let us know which boat company you went with when you get back. have a wonderful time.

Old Apr 17th, 1998, 08:27 AM
LIDIA

Well I don't know if there is anything else to add or not. We have done the dinner cruise 2 times my husband likes it he says it puts him in a romantic mood and we have met some very nice people on board. The food is average but the atmosphere is A-1. I was born in France and went to college there and also worked in Paris. I like to do things with atmosphere and remember you only go around once in this world so enjoy.