Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any indoor places to picnic in Paris in the winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:42 PM
bill

Have heard so much about stopping at the smaller markets or delis or street vendors to buy food for lunches or snacks. That's just what we usually like to do because the food is interesting, it saves time, and it saves money. But, we'll be visiting in February. Can you think of any places to pick up some decent take away food and then eat it without having to go back to our hotel room? Places where you would at least be sheltered from the elements and hopefully wouldn't freeze your rear off by siting on some cold cement.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Julie

This is a real toughy. I can't come up with anything but I'm responding so it will stay on the first page here and get you an answer from some of the many Paris lovers on this Forum. The first thing that came to my mind was the Passages in the 2nd Arr. but there really aren't any places to sit in them except at tables from the cafes. Then I thought, maybe you could just have your picnic right in one of the covered markets--like St. Quentin or Aligre but I don't recall any seating in any of them. Like I say, maybe someone else can be of help. The idea is good.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Foodie

Lafayette Galleries has a wonderful food court with so much take out food to choose from. You could eat it there indoors or, go to the Louvre and sit at one of the many tables and enjoy. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 06:34 AM
bonnie

Bill - I was wondering the same thing about places in London. Hope you don't mind if I tack this onto your post.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Julie

I'm assuming that since very few people have replied to this that picnicing in Paris in the winter isn't possible.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 05:00 PM
c

The closest thing to a picnic in the winter in Paris that I have experienced was...going to rue de Buci and picking up lots of pates, cheeses and breads and going back to our hotel and having a picnic on the bed It was lovely ~

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:55 PM
xxxxx

topping for more feedback?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Charlie Girl

Bill: I was in Paris last February and we had picnics on 3 occasions. The weather was in the high 40's and quite pleasant. We sat on benchs at the Eiffel Tower, Place des Vosges and in another park (I am not sure where)that we happened to pass. I have traveled to Paris in February for the last 3 years and have always picniced outside. Some days the weather even reached the 50's.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Vincent

Er... don't want to be a party pooper, but since we are here addressing very civilised travellers, I've always slightly frowned when reading about "picnics in Paris". Basically, it means buying food and wine and eating it on a bench. Well, who are the only French persons to do that ? Yes, our good old clochards, in other words winos - at least in the winter time. OK, let's take the risk of being a bit judgmental and snotty, but I don't think a city as sophisticated and food-oriented as Paris lends itself to self-made outdoor snacking. There are countless threads on Fodors warning against wearing white sneakers, which should actually be avoided (even if this diktat is a bit harsh), but, as a Parisian I would rather see a tourist wearing Nikes than eating on a bench !If you want to eat "lunches or snacks" outdoors, provided the temperature is not too polar, you can sit on one of the many heated outdoor cafe terraces and have a jambon-beurre or a croque-monsieur with a glass of wine. It won't cost you an arm and a leg, and you'll be having a snack in the middle of a Paris street in a proper and stylish way !

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Liz

You mean all those people eating picnics in Luxemburg gardens last June were WINOS! Man, even the winos in Paris are Chic...

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Vincent

You didn't read my post carefully: I added "at least in the winter time".

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Hotty Totty

Man, Vincent -- your attitude stinks. Bill, I think a picnic in the winter sounds lovely. Go for it!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Michael Kovach

Vincent is correct. The only people "picnicing" in the winter in Paris are homeless or winos. There is nothing wrong with picnics except that Parisians have the good sense to wait for good weather. So, my vote is against globalization; in Paris in the winter snack at the sidewalk cafe with a heated terrasse. It's what the Parisians all do.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Christina

There's nothing wrong with Vincent's response, I completely agree with him. The main reason people do this is to save money, as the original poster said (as well as to save time, eating on the run to get it over with is very American). You can easily buy cheap food in a cafe and eat it there, often as cheap as a good takeout, but perhaps not as cheap as stuff you buy from a street vendor, though. I think you should forget about picnicking in February or spend the time to sit down for a bit to have a meal if you're main reason is you don't want to spend the time.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Charlie Girl

Vincent: I was unaware that only winos sit on picnic benches having a sandwich. In fact, I didn't see any winos, only working people, couples and mothers with children. Obviously, everyone doesn't share your opinion.<BR><BR>Michael: In my opinion, temps in the 40's and 50's with sun, is good weather.<BR><BR>Christina: I was not trying to save time or money. Instead, I was enjoying being outdoors and the beautiful sights. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 02:13 PM
zodag

Bill, & Charlie girl, enjoy your picnics! It's such a fun part of the experience, to pick up pate & berries from the one of the fabulous outdoor markets. It's not about rushing or being cheap at all! And I wouldn't consider 40's-50's 'winter'. <BR><BR>Enjoy life people! Don't spend so much energy being judgemental. Ciao

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Vincent

It's amazing how such a tiny subject can reach such proportions ! But that's the charm of this forum, isn't it ? Re my post, it's funny how some people don't know how to read five lines carefully: I never mentioned the word "sandwich", and I know that eating sandwiches on benches is done in Paris. In this voluntarily judgmental little piece (humor, anyone ? ) I was expressing my preference towards not having our benches used for "self-made outdoor snacking", which doesn't apply to a sandwich you buy.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:11 AM
xx

then Vincent-why did you start your reply with "picnics in Paris being frowned upon"? Eating lunch /snack on a bench in a park is a picnic in most countries-you equated it with being a bum.The question was -can you think of places to pick up a take away and eat it without going back to the room, not will I look like a bum to Vincent if I have a picnic.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 02:27 PM
bill

I am the original poster and am astounded to see all the controversy this simple question has caused. I don't wear tennis shoes when visiting Europe, but I never guessed that a far greater sin would be to picnic out of season thus setting myself up for derision from those who would never lower themselves to do so. But, getting back to the original point. I have read that it frequently can cost as much to stop at a cafe for a light snack as it would to go to a restaurant for a regular lunch time meal. If my wife and I do not want to spent $50 and 2 hours time on a "dining experience" for lunch, what are the other options? Street food vendors are great, but it would also be nice to sit for 20 minutes.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 02:43 PM
jimdandy

interesting question.<BR><BR>if you don't wish to eat in restaurants the only indoor places I have seen being used by Parisians to eat are laundromats or the metro (note this would only be young people who can get away with it). Luxembourg gardens also has covered areas to which you can pull chairs.<BR><BR>when i was short money or couldn't find company for a brasserie I would go to McDonalds, KFC, buy a Grec Frites or go to the Louvre food fair. Note: I am NOT TRYING to be funny or rude

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -