Reload this Page >

Any ideas on Italy?

Search

Any ideas on Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 04:32 AM
Karie

Any ideas on Italy?

OK, all you wonderful people out there. I have just discovered this site and need your help and input! My son, studying in Dublin, Ireland e-mailed me and said, "Mom, I got a good deal on a ticket to Italy for spring break...why don't you meet me there and let's bop around a bit." You know I was incredibly flattered that he would want me to go! (raise them right and they are a total joy!) <BR>So, I have found a great deal on a flight to Rome, departing March 17th and returning March 30. I have never been to Italy and am doing much research. I am an adventurer but now I am thinking...am I crazy or what?! Plan to spend a few days in Rome, take the train to Florence, then rent a car and drive around Tuscany a bit, then the train to Venice and spend just a couple of days, then back to Rome for the flight home. Now I am beginning to feel like I am just picking up my purse and hopping on a plane! (Mary and Joseph...it will all work out.) I know from experience that those can be some of the best times, but I just realized it will be Easter in Rome and I am thinking, "Am I crazy? Maybe I should just stay home and watch TV." (no way!) For some reason I seem to be intimidated by Italy! Any input from you guys will be very much appreciated! Would you do this?! Will I be sleeping in the train station? Any good places you know of to stay? Any info and input on my itinerary, Tuscany, etc., etc? Carpe diem!

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 07:31 AM
renee

<BR> Your plans sound very nice! It sounds like you'll be hitting major cities during the majority of your trip, but it's important that you see the small towns to get a good feel for the country you are visiting. May I suggest a side trip to the isle of Capri. It's a bit away from Rome, but it's well worth the trip. If you catch a train to Sorrento, you can take the ferry to Capri. It is absolutely breathtaking! Good luck!

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 07:52 AM
Anna

Your plan sounds great! I doubt you'll have to sleep in the station, you can always hop on a train to a nearby town and find a room. Definitely get Rick Steve's Italy guidebook. I found it to be excellent when we travelled around Italy for 2 weeks on our honeymoon in 1997. He has good listings of budget lodgings. Here are a few places that we were quite happy with: <BR>Rome <BR>Hotel Flavio - double without bath was L110,000. We had a balcony, the hotel is located on a tiny street about 2 blocks from the Colosseum and Forum, quiet location. (06)679-7203 fax679-6246 <BR>Pension Alimandi - double without bath L115,000. Less than a block from the <BR>entrance of the Vatican Museum. Farther from a metro stop than the Flavio (~6 <BR>blocks). Rooms are nicer than the Flavio, however. 397-26300 fax397-23943 <BR> <BR>Orvieto <BR>The Hotel Duomo, just off of the main square with simple rooms. Double without bath L51,000. <BR>Venice <BR>Locanda Sturion overlooking the Grand Canal a block down from the Rialto <BR>Bridge. If you want to splurge, this is the place. L320,000 for a beautiful room <BR>right above the Grand Canal.(041)523-6243 fax522-8378 <BR> <BR>Cinque Terre <BR>Trattoria Gianni rents modern rooms in Vernazza (my favorite town of the 5). <BR>We had a great double with bath for L100,000. We arrived before noon and <BR>were able to get a room without calling ahead.(0187)812-228

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 10:53 AM
hamlet

Easter in Rome? Maybe crazy, but a great opportunity. Find a place to stay NOW. Whether you are Catholic or not, or even Christian, what a great opportunity to be in Rome this Easter since so many fear this will be the last for John Paul II. As for the rest of your trip, I would loosely plan where you want to go, the cities and amount of days, but if you are an adventurer, then don't do real itinerary. It'll be busy around Easter but it's not high tourist season so I wouldn't worry about sleeping in train stations. 12 days in Italy is a good amount of time to see things, but in Italy there's never enough time. Buon viaggio! <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 05:28 PM
Denise

Hi Karie, <BR> <BR>We were in Italy last October,spending 3 nights in Rome, 7 nights in a villa in Tuscany with a hire car which we picked up at Rome airport (we trained out to the airport from Rome to collect car and just hopped onto the ring road and up into Tuscany). We visited Florence from there, spent days in the small villages of Tuscany and then up to Venice for 3 nights, trained back to Rome for flight to Australia. Wonderful time and we felt we spent our time wisely. Have a great trip, email if you wish, Denise <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:56 PM
Lisa

Karie, <BR> <BR>I also felt the same as you about Italy. However, once I arrived in Rome any apprehensions I had quickly disappered. Rome is a wonderful city and I found the people there to be extremely friendly and patient. I stayed at the Hotel Mascagni (great hotel! e-mail: [email protected]) which is only a few blocks from Rome's Termini train station. I also found Rome's subway system easy to use and very inexpensive. One place I highly recommend visting is the Vatican. It's a two hour tour but well worth it. I also recommend visiting the Spanish steps and the Trevi fountain. Good luck and enjoy your trip! <BR> <BR>Lisa

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 09:49 PM
Bill

Karie, <BR>Don't be intimidated by Italy. It is a wonderful country with very friendly and interesting people. I had similar concerns on my first trip to Italy, specially about big city Rome. Much to my delight, I found the people to be very friendly and extremely helpful. Just learn a few courtesy words to communicate with and you'll be surprised as to how kind hearted and helpful they will be.

Old Jan 24th, 1999, 08:24 PM
topoftheworld

Cinque Terre, the five lands.