Any escape from film Xrayed at CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last few times I've passed through Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, my request to have my film hand checked was refused. They plainly told me, get your film screened by the machine (for hand carry items) or you don't get on the plane. Any suggestions as to how to evade the film police? I know one zap won't hurt low speed film but many zaps can degrade Velvia 50. Occasionally I enlarge a slide to 11 x 14 and am concerning that the image quality will suffer if zapped. What's been your experience?
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I was told at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta to take the film out of the boxes and place them in baggies. They then need only scan one film canister from each baggie. Whether that works at CDG I don't know.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM
AR

You should be thankful that it was only a film that caused them to say obey or don't fly. The last time I was at CDG they told me I couldn't board with my car keys! I carried them because my car was parked at the airport back home in the UK.
My key folds into a fob and is released by a button so that it has a flick-opening effect. They said "non". I tried to explain that it was a car key and that without it I could no longer drive my car.

Shrugged shoulders.

I explained that it was no different to any other car key once open.

Shrugged shoulders and cold indifference.

Again I pleaded and the head man examined the key fob once again. This time he let me take it on because...."Ah, Citroen" he said with a misty look in his eye. "Mais oui".

And that's a true story!!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM

I thought I saw a bag that you can put your film in to protect it from the zapper?? I din't pay a lot of attention to it but I think it was at Brookstone.
If you mailed it home would it be safer?
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM

I have a lead bag that I put my film in. I purchased it at a camera shop. I take the film out of the boxes and the plastic canisters (to save room) and put the film in. The bag says you can use it for checked luggage also, although I haven't done that.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM

I found years ago the easiest way to avoid damageing film is to have it developed prior to getting on a plane

Rich
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:59 PM

The TSA's website on carrying film through US screening checkpoints may provide some additional information-it does say, however, that your request to have your film hand-inspected at foreign airports may be refused.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1035.xml
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Robbie,

Take my comments with the perspective that I'm a serious amateur travel photographer who follows the stuff you're asking about. When using film, I use only slide film.

My understanding is that the potential damage doesn't have anything to do with the size of your print. Instead, the resulting damage can be fogging, which will show up in any size print.

Years ago Popular Photography magazine, now named Popular Photography and Imaging, did a test. They ran film at 400 ASA and under through a machine 10 times. No film showed any sign of degradation. The purpose of their article was to expose (pun intended) the myth that multiple screening ruins the film.

Despite that information, I rarely allow my film to be screened through the machines. That's because photos of my travels are really important to me. I'm always paranoid that the machine will go out of calibration immediately prior to when my film is screened, that the film will be zapped at 50 times the normal power (even though I have no idea if that's possible), and that my film will be ruined.

I have never been to CDG, but I've been told many times in airports that they won't hand check. Yet with persistence, I've eventually gotten them to hand check. That includes Cambodia where an armed soldier and I went into a locked room with no one else there and with my wife remaining outside for 20 minutes, the (unsuccessfull) purpose apparently being to intimidate me. I've also been initially refused hand inspections in U. S. airports. Using friendly persuasion, I've never needed to pull out of my camera bag my copy of the U. S. regulation requiring hand inspection upon request.

I really do rely on friendly persuasion. I always tell the officials that I understand that the machines don't normally affect the film, but that machines occasionally go wacko, and that I've saved my money so long for this trip that I would be absolutely devastated if my pictures were somehow harmed in the slightest way by the machine. That sort of honesty has never failed me ... so far.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - a lead bag is absolutely no help at all. They will still want to screen the film visually so it will have to come out of the bag anyway.

second - the screening machines used for carry on luggage <u>will not damage</u> your film. You can ask for hand screening all you want - but it is never guaranteed even in the States. The x-ray effect is cumulative and unless you are taking the same film through 6 or 7 flights you don't have anything to worry about.

Remove the film from all packaging including the canisters and place it in a baggie and it will be fine in the machine.

And - <b><u>Never Ever</u></b> place film in <u>checked</u> bags -- even in a lead bag!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Just to give you some perspective (and double check the literature, which supports what I say) -- I have taken more than 500 rolls of film overseas over the years - all in carry on luggage, and almost all through the X-ray screeners - and not one roll was ever fogged. Not one.

I have sold many, MANY photos taken on these trip, so care of the film is very important to me.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM

<i>You can ask for hand screening all you want - but it is never guaranteed even in the States.</i>

I don't have the time right now to look on the Internet for the U.S. regulation or to get my copy of it out of my camera bag, but unless that regulation has changed in the last couple of years, we are absolutely guaranteed hand inspection upon request if indeed the official complies with the regulation.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM

US guarantees hand inspection. ASA 50 film is not at risk. Get over it.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Mike-if you read above you, I have cited to the TSA page that discusses hand inspection of film. Yes, it is guaranteed at all US and US territory screening checkpoints.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM

It is &quot;guaranteed&quot; - but that is NOT a guarantee at all. We have all (or at least anyone who travels a lot) seen TSA or contract screeners confiscate items which are clearly allowed on the TSA website.

If a screener refuses to hand check your film what are you &quot;gonna do 'bout it&quot;? Make a scene, miss your plane, have a confrontation??

Since it won't damage your film anyway - why even worry about it?
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM

I can't imagine a screener refusing, nor have I heard of that happening (3 years ago, yes, now never). If he/she did, they would be overruled by a supervisor. Simple as that.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:00 PM
JP

janisj, I always have my film in a lead lined bag and I seldom have to remove the film (less than 1 in 10 times).
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:11 AM

The best course of action is to buy fresh film in Paris, then have it developed before you leave. Paris is a paradise for photographers, not just because it is so photogenic, but also because you can find anything and everything you need for photography. There is no need to bring undeveloped film into the country or take it back out. Buy it on location and develop it at any of the many labs in Paris (many can develop and mount Velvia in two hours, even medium-format).

Fogging is more of a problem than it used to be, as increasingly paranoid security organizations use more and more powerful x-rays to examine luggage.

Digital cameras are much less vulnerable to x-rays, at least for now (very high levels of x-rays or other ionizing radiation can damage them as well, but I don't think anything is cranked that high yet).
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:37 AM

THE point about TSA is immaterial. The OP is asking about CDG. Last I knew, French airports aren't under the control of TSA. The x-ray will not harm film below ASA800, particularly with only a pass or two or three.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:25 AM

The screeners won't harm your film - honest.

Now, the machines used for checked luggage is a WHOLE different matter. They will definitely ruin your film, and even a lead bag may not help.

So once again - as long as you are using normal film and not going through 6 or 7 screenings or more there is no need to worry one way or the other.

I'm just starting to transition to digital - and often have 25 to 30 rolls of film w/ me. I never even bother to ask for hand checking. Just too much bother for no real benefit . . . .
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I always took the rolls of film out of canisters, put them in a baggie, then put them in a lead bag, then asked for hand-check.
If the response was non, then I put it on through the carryon x-ray.
Never had any problems this way.

Digital has simplified this process

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -