Reload this Page >

Any clues...What Rues?

Search

Any clues...What Rues?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 11:24 PM
Rhonda

Any clues...What Rues?

We're travelling to Paris in January and I'd like some suggestions as to the Rues I must not miss. Over time I've read lots of information on this site about Rue this and Rue that but rather than trying to collate all the info I thought it might be best to post my own thread. <BR><BR>I've been to most of the major tourist attractions so I'm looking for good areas to just walk around and look at interesting shops (childrens toys/clothes/shoes especially), markets, cafes, anywhere with nice pastries, gardens etc. Just a pleasant outing for a couple of hours. I'll have my two year old with me so I was thinking of spending a little time each day exploring a new pocket of Paris. What's your favourite little piece of Paris?

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 06:51 AM
JB

The rues Mouffetard and Saint Louis en L'ile are two of my favorites! (Well actually the whole of Ile Saint Louis...can't go wrong there.)

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Sue

The 6th arr. is my favorite: rue Jacob, rue de la Seine, rue de Buci markets, rue Bonaparte (Deux Magots is on the corner), rue du Cherche Midi, with wonderful Poilane bread store; heading towards the 7th: rue du Bac, rue de la Varenne. The whole area is dense for browsing!

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Jim Tardio

Rue Cler is proabably the most famous...or most touristy. There is a great deli there called Divoli (spelling) that will make your mouth water.<BR><BR>For something less touristy, try Rue Daguerre. <BR><BR>Some photos here;<BR>http://www.jimtardio.com/paris,france.html

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Rhonda

This is great! Thanks to all that have contributed to date. Look forward to hearing about some more "not to be missed" Rues.<BR>Rhonda

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Ursula

Rhonda: some of my favs (for clothes, boutiques, window shopping in general):<BR><BR>Rue du Cherche-Midi, 6th<BR>Rue Saint-Placide, 6h<BR>Rue du Dragon, 6th<BR>Rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs, 6th<BR>Rue Vavin, 6th<BR>Rue de Grenelle, 6th/7th<BR>Rue du Bac, 7th<BR>Rue des Francs-Bourgeois, (4th?)<BR>Avenue Mozart, 16th<BR>Ave Victor-Hugo, 16th (chic/upscale)<BR>Rue de Passy, 16th<BR><BR>However, I am not sure, your two year old is old enough to appreciate. Mostly clothes, caf&eacute;s, etc. !

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Gretchen

Rue Daumesnil--artisan's row near the Gare de Lyon and under the old viaduct. Incredible shops, really interesting use of the space.<BR>Market at Pl. Monge on Sunday.

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 11:57 PM
alex

Rue des Rosiers, parallel to and between, rue des Francs-Bourgeois and rue de Rivoli and perpendicular to rue Vieille du Temple, in the Jewish quarter of the Marais (4th arrondissement), is a fascinating swath of old world shops, delis and restaurants. More like eastern europe than neighborhoods in the 6th and 7th arrondissements. Not a beret or rosebush in sight. Near numerous smaller museums. It is packed on weekends.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 02:33 PM
elvira

Parc Monceau & avenue Velasquez 8eme<BR><BR>Parc de Montsouris, rue Braque, and several little streets around them. Also, the grounds of the university 14eme<BR><BR>Promenade des Plantes (above the Viaduc des Artistes) 12eme<BR><BR>Parc Georges Brassens and the small streets due east of it (rue Castagnary, rue Weiss as examples) 15eme<BR><BR>rue des Saules, the vineyard, and the streets around it (a little rugged if you're pushing a stroller) 18eme <BR><BR>Cemeteries: Passy, Pere Lachaise, St Vincent, Montmartre, Monparnasse<BR><BR>La Villette (not really rues, but certainly a lot of running-around room) 19eme<BR><BR>Village St Paul 4eme<BR><BR>Place Dauphine 1ere<BR><BR>All of the Ile St Louis 4eme<BR><BR>rue de Doctor Blanche and surrounding streets (for buildings by le Corbusier, Mallet-Stevens, etc.)<BR><BR>The Canal St Martin<BR><BR>rue Paradis<BR><BR>Balzac's house (the streets around and the grounds) <BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Jenny Bell

I second Sue's selections in the 6th, and Elvira's mention of "paradis"! Oh, of course rue de l'exposition in the 7th, but if you visit the Eiffel Tower, you'll most likely see it/be on it. Naturally, the Champs Elysee cannot be missed or forgotten.<BR><BR>I hope you have a wonderful trip & report back here with your own favorites!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Capo

I second the mentions of rue Mouffetard, rue Saint Louis en L'ile, rue Jacob, rue de la Seine, rue de Buci, rue du Cherche Midi, rue Saint-Placide, rue Cler, rue des Rosiers, rue des Saules, and Place Dauphine.<BR><BR>I also like rue Monsieur le Prince and rue Montorgueil. The latter is a wonderful -- and, in my opinion, little-known -- market street paved with white cobblestones that gleam when wet; read about it at: http://www.metropoleparis.com/1996/60603015/street.html

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Ursula

Capo! Rue Montorgueil is maybe little known among fodorites, but it's mentioned in all travel guide books over here. Definitely worth a stroll, I agree!<BR>Do you happen to know the French bistrot "L'Escargot Montorgueil" at Nr. 38? It's worth a stop, a real nice place. One of the old-established charming bistrots, even if one doesn't care for snails? <BR>www.escargot-montorgueil.com

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Rhonda

WOW! Thank you all so much. This list is truly impressive. I appreciate all of your contributions. I'm so looking forward to spending my time getting to know Paris. This will be my third visit but I feel as though I haven't even scraped the surface. Since finding this site a few months back I've read any post relating to Paris and have been overwhelmed by everyone's knowledge of Paris. I couldn't believe what I had missed on my previous visits. So now I'm equipped with my very own list compiled by experts..a very big thank you!<BR>Kindest regards<BR><BR>Rhonda